Jeremiah 39-52 - Week 32 Overview

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 10:50:55 PDT 2012

July 19, 2012

 *WEEK 32 - AUG 5-11 - JEREMIAH 39-52 - FALL OF JERUSALEM: CAPTIVITY*

 *AUG 5. 39:1-2 (39, ASV 1901) JERUSALEM BESIEGED: RIGHTEOUSNESS
VINDICATED.“(in the ninth year of Zedekiah king of Judah, in the tenth
month, came
Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon and all his army against Jerusalem, and he
besieged it; 2 in the eleventh year of Zedekiah, in the fourth month, the
ninth day of the month, a breach was made in the city)” (ASV ‘01). *You, O
God, call the things that are *not*, as though they *were* (Romans 4:17)!
You count Jerusalem as fallen, when as yet she was but besieged! You did
the same for Samaria, the capital of Israel over 100 years before. *What a
God you are*! No other god can do such things! *Hallowed be your :name.*

 *AUG 6. 42:40 (40-42) HYPOCRISY IN THE REMNANT. “For you have dealt
deceitfully against your own souls; for you sent me unto Jehovah your God,
saying, Pray for us unto Jehovah our God; and according unto all that
Jehovah our God shall say, so declare unto us, and we will do it.” *Father;
turn us from this evil way of lying in our hearts, especially to You. Take
the sin of Ananias and Sapphira out of our hearts! *Your :kingdom come.*

 *AUG 7. 44:29-30a (43-44) JUDGMENT ON THE REMNANT. “And this shall be the
sign unto you, says Jehovah, that I will punish you in this place, that you
may know that my words shall surely stand against you for evil: 30 Thus
says Jehovah, Behold, I will give Pharaoh Hophra king of Egypt into the
hand of his enemies.” *Father, Your ways are just, and for our good, even
as a father chastises his son! *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on
earth.*

 *AUG 8. 45:1a (45) WORD TO BARUCH. “The word that Jeremiah the prophet
spoke unto Baruch the son of Neriah, when he wrote these words in a book at
the mouth of Jeremiah.” *How gracious Your ways, O Father! Just as You
saved Lot from Sodom, so You preserved Baruch in the midst of judgment! *Our
:daily :bread Give us this day.*

 *AUG 9. 48:11 (46-48) THREE PROPHECIES UPON GENTILE NATIONS. “Moab has
been at ease from his youth, and he has settled on his lees, and has not
been emptied from vessel to vessel, neither has he gone into captivity:
therefore his taste remains in him, and his smell is not changed.” *Father,
we see the absolute necessity of asking for suffering. Teach us the wisdom
of Colossians 1:24. Teach us the wisdom of Job! *And forgive us our :debts,
As we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *AUG 10. 50:34 (49-51) SIX MORE PROPHECIES AGAINST GENTILE NATIONS. “Their
Redeemer is strong; Jehovah of hosts is his name: he will thoroughly plead
their cause, that he may give rest to the earth, and disquiet the
inhabitants of Babylon.” *Father, we trust You in Your judgments. You judge
us lightly according to Your mercy, using heathen nations to work Your
purposes. Then You judge in justice those who over-judge us! *And bring us
not into temptation.*

 *AUG 11. 52:3b-4 (52) JERUSALEM OVERTHROWN. “And Zedekiah rebelled against
the king of Babylon. 4 And it came to pass in the ninth year of his reign,
in the tenth month, in the tenth day of the month, that Nebuchadnezzar king
of Babylon came, he and all his army, against Jerusalem, and encamped
against it; and they built forts against it round about.” *Father, You are
the God who calls the things that are not as though they were! Jerusalem
besieged, was as good as Jerusalem fallen! *But deliver us from the evil
one.*

 *NOTE**: *A fearfulness comes into our heart when we read this sober and
sober week. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. The fear of
the Lord is the beginning of knowledge. The fear of the Lord is clean,
enduring forever. May it ever be so in our hearts.

 What a difficult assignment the LORD gave Jeremiah. No wonder in chapter
one he sought to get out of it. He felt like Moses when God called him to
deliver Israel from Egypt. But the Lord in both cases was *adamant*! He *
knew* His prophet, for as God, His predestinating choices were based on His
foreknowledge. Throughout all the Bible prophets, we find our God as the
One who knows all things before they come to pass. He is the God of
eternity! He and His Son are the *same* yesterday, today and forever. He is
the God of the past, the present and the future. His very Name Jehovah is
comprised from the three tenses of the verb “to be.” See Ye-h*o*V*A*H: the
“Ye” stands for He who always will be; “h*o*” is the present participle, He
who always *is**; “*V*A*H” is the past tense, He who *was*. Yahweh does not
express this. See the introduction of “Newberry's Reference Bible” for a
deeper discussion on this.

 Jesus was born “Son of Man” by the virgin Mary. Mary is not the mother of
God - she is Mary the mother of Jesus as Son of Man after the flesh. It is
true, God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto Himself. And 3 times
God the Father audibly proclaimed from heaven His approval of Jesus the Son
of Man. And following His successful Atoning Death for our Redemption, and
following His Resurrection and Ascension, God proclaimed Jesus the Son of
Man as Lord and Christ. “Lord” in Greek is “KUri-os,” and is parallel to
Jehovah (Ye-h*o*V*A*H) in Hebrew.

 Before Abraham was, Jesus as Son of God was “I AM!” Does any man have full
understanding of the “Mystery” of the Godhead, and the “Mystery” of
Christ's Incarnation?” Probably not. I must confess, I await either arrival
in heaven or the Resurrection, to fully understand these “mysteries.”

 God reserved for the apostle Paul the privilege of unveiling the “mystery”
of the “One New Man,” and some 20 other “mysteries” unveiled in the New
Testament. Jeremiah in chapter 31 tells the mystery of the New Covenant,
and how greatly it supersedes the Old Covenant. Peter acknowledges that
Paul's unveiling of these mysteries was difficult to understand, and the
unlearned “wrested” them to their own destruction.

 And yet - it was not really Paul unveiling these mysteries. It was the
“Lord Jesus” Himself who used Paul as His channel to finish up what He
started through the four Gospels!

 Joshua in the Old Testament is a “type” of Jesus to come. His name means
“Jehovah is salvation.” Jesus in Hebrew is “YeSHUa” - “Jesus the Savior.”
What Joshua did in bringing the 12 tribes into Canaan and conquering 7
nations each greater than Israel, in 7 years, is a “type” of what Jesus,
the *greater* Joshua, has done in fulfilling Jeremiah 31, in the New
Covenant. By His Atoning Death, the Holy Spirit came 50 days later, and
makes *vital* the Atonement, and fulfills Jeremiah 31. *This* is the
Kingdom of God realized. The Kingdom of God is not the law of the Old
Covenant. It is “righteousness, peace and joy in the *Holy Spirit*”.

 Repent, said John the Baptist and Jesus at the beginning of their
respective ministries - for “The Kingdom of God”, the “New Covenant in the
Holy Spirit” - is *at hand*.

 The “Mysteries” Jesus unveiled through Paul in the New Covenant, were only
mysteries in the Old Testament. God all along intended in the New Testament
to reveal these mysteries through His chosen apostle. Soon we will
*all*understand these things more clearly. Even Paul confessed that
*now*, in these New Testament times, we *still* see through a glass darkly
(1 Corinthians 13) - but at the Resurrection, at the Feast of Tabernacles
fulfilled, we will see face to face.

 I look forward to that day. I too with Paul and you now see through a
glass darkly. But *then* - at that day - face to face. *Then* will we *know*,
even as we are *known*! Then Jeremiah will fully realize the meaning of
those prophesies and mysteries God gave him in his day, that would not be
revealed until the Kingdom of God came through Jesus in His death, burial,
resurrection, ascension - and with the Father pouring out on His church the
Holy Spirit on the Day of Pentecost.

 So - this Kingdom Age of the Church - the One New Man - is *itself* not
the final answer. It awaits the return of Jesus the Messiah as Lord of
lords and King of kings at the Feast of Tabernacles, and the Millennial
resurrection of the earth, with *all* nations coming up to Jerusalem
annually at the Feast of Tabernacles to honor God in Jesus, the one of the
tribe of Judah - a Jew - and yet the Son of God. And - His 12 apostles
shall then sit on 12 thrones judging the 12 tribes of Israel. What a shock
to the Hitlers, Stalins, Kings and rulers who have said - “We will not have
*this Man to rule over us!*” In that day *every knee* shall bow and *every
tongue* confess Jesus as Lord of lords and King of kings to God the
Father's glory! Amen! So let it be!

 Jeremiah is called by some the weeping prophet. He also wrote the book of
Lamentations. God grieved that He had to visit His people with punishment
and judgment; but He loved them too much to do otherwise.

 Memory Verse: 31:33 - *“But this is the covenant that I will make with the
house of Israel after those days, declares the LORD: I will put my law
within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their God,
and they shall be my people” (ESV).*