Matthew - an Overview

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 16:55:38 PDT 2012

July 11, 2012

 *WEEK 4 - JAN 22-28 - MATTHEW - JESUS: THE MESSIAH KING*

 *JAN 22. 3:11 (1:1-4:16) PREPARATION FOR JESUS. “I indeed baptize you in
water unto repentance: but who comes after me is mightier that I: whose
:shoes I am not fit to bear: HE shall baptize you in the Holy Spirit and
fire” (NNT). *What a Kingdom! We praise You Father, that You have made *
Jesus* the Way, and that none comes to You except through Him, our
Mediator. *Hallowed be Your** **:name. *

 *JAN 23. 7:28-29 (4:17-7:29) TEACHING OF JESUS. “And it came to pass, when
:Jesus ended these :words, the crowds were astonished at his :teaching: *29
*for he was teaching them as having authority, and not as the
scribes.” *Father,
we choose the Narrow Gate and the *straitened* way into Your Kingdom. *Your
:kingdom come.*

 *JAN 24. 10:34-36 (8:1-11:1) MIRACLES OF JESUS. “Think not that I came to
bring peace on the earth: I came not to bring peace, but a sword. *35* For
I came to set a man at variance against his :father, and a daughter against
her :mother, and a bride against her :mother in law:* 36 *and the man's
foes are they of his household.” *How many of us have not experienced this
- upon our individual conversion? *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on
earth.*

 *JAN 25. 18:19-20 (11:2-18:35) CONTROVERSY OVER JESUS. “Again, Amen, I say
unto you, that if two of you shall agree on :earth as touching anything
they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my :Father who is in the
heavens. *20 *For where two or three are gathered unto my :name, there am I
in their midst.” *Father, in Messiah You are present to help us handle all
interpersonal problems according to Matthew 18:15-17. *Our :daily :bread
Give us this day.*

 *JAN 26. 23:37 (19-23) CHALLENGE OF JESUS IN JUDEA. “Jerusalem, Jerusalem,
that kills the prophets, and stones those sent unto her! how oft would I
have gathered your :children together, even as a hen gathers her :chicks
under the wings, and you would not!” *Father, we receive and act upon the
invitation of *Jesus*. *And forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven
our :debtors.*

 *JAN 27. 24:30 (24-25) COMING AGAIN OF JESUS. “And then shall appear the
sign of the Son of :man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the
earth mourn, and shall see the Son of :man coming on the clouds of the
heaven with power and great glory.” *The Second Coming of Jesus has a
two-fold effect: For believers - it is a time of great joy! For unbelievers
- it is a time of great distress! *And bring us not into temptation.*

 *JAN 28. 27:51-53 (26-28) CRUCIFIXION AND RESURRECTION OF JESUS. “And lo,
the veil of the temple was rent in two from top to bottom; and the earth
shook; and the rocks were rent; *52* and the tombs were opened; and many
bodies of the saints that had fallen asleep were raised; *53* and coming
forth from the tombs after his :resurrection entered into the holy city and
appeared unto many.” *This is one of the many portions of the Bible which
we can easily slip over. But the Holy Spirit causes no Bible writer to
record *anything* from the mind of God, except He desires us to search out
and understand its significance from *His* point of view! *But deliver us
from the evil one.*

 *NOTE:* This gospel is especially slanted to win Jews to faith in their
Messiah. It proves that Jesus of Nazareth is indeed the promised
Messiah-King. It sets forth Jesus as the Lion of the Tribe of Judah.

 There are two portions in this Gospel that link together related Greek
words: the Beatitudes and the Lord's Prayer. I link the Beatitudes with the
tribe of “Asher,” and the Lord's Prayer with the tribe of Ephraim. Asher
means “Blessed”, or “Happy;” so the linkage is clear. Ephraim means “double
fruitfulness”, according to the prophecy over him by his grandfather Jacob.
When one understands the prayer Jesus gave His disciples at their request,
that one becomes *indeed** *a fruitful person. Rees Howells epitomizes such
a one. Joshua, the servant of Moses, the man of God, was of this tribe.
Consider his life as recounted in the book of Joshua.

 The Gospel of Matthew sets forth Jesus as *King*. He is the King of the
Jews, Himself a Jew through his mother after the flesh, Mary. He is the
Lion of the tribe of Judah! This Gospel quotes portions from the Old
Testament in such a manner that all open-hearted Jews can easily discern
Him as the promised Messiah! Anna and Simeon were two who so recognized Him
at the time of His birth, when Joseph and Mary presented Him at the Temple.
The Holy Spirit alerted both of them to this significant time.

 Matthew, Mark and Luke are listed as synoptic gospels, as distinct from
John, the Gospel setting Jesus forth in a special way as the Son of God.
Some think God has not a Son! They are wrong! Jesus is God's only-begotten
Son! Three times God voiced from heaven His approval of Jesus, the Son of
God! He exhorted us to *hear* His Son, obey Him, and become exceedingly
intimate with Him. Jesus is the God-man from God on our behalf. Redemption
and Reconciliation come only through Him!

 There are mysteries here - but God has promised insight on our behalf as
we meditate, *obey*, and walk in loving and joyous discipleship on His
behalf. This is *all* voluntary on our part. We don't *have* to - but we
have the privilege of doing so if we wish to!

 *P.S. With not too much extra work - these 52 weekly lessons can be
updated for printing. They will enable readers world-wide - to have a very
brief daily devotional for the year, which will link perhaps millions
throughout the earth to move unitedly in spirit. To meditate together on
the same verse each day, will open the door to use the “Outlined
Interlinear New Testament” in a coordinated manner. This too will then open
up to effective meditation, worship and intercession. It will become like a
magnifying glass to take the rays of the Son of God, and allow Him to focus
on His target. Then with His “Organic Laser-Telescope” - of an Eldership in
the Gate of each *

*City Church - He can target and remove Satanic hindrances over cities,
regions and nations at His will! Revival will follow.*

 *Pray for the City Church of Gig Harbor, Washington, and the functioning
Eldership in its Gate. God could use it as His break-through for countless
other cities in Washington, Cascadia, Canada, the United States, and the
nations of the world. * * J.A.Watt*