Revelation 1:4-20 - Interlinear

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 10:02:51 PDT 2012

 <http://www.2rbetter.org/>

*(From: REVELATION #2 - 1:4-20)*

 II. 1:4 -3:22 COMMENDATION, WARNINGS & PROMISES TO 7 CHURCHES

A. 1:4-7 TRIUNE BLESSING AND PROMISE OF JESUS’ COMING

a. 1:4-5a TRIUNE BLESSING

*John to the seven churches :in :Asia: Grace to you and peace,*

I*o*An*e*s tais hepTA ek-kl*e*SIais [1577] tais en t*e* A-SIa: CHAris huMIN
kai eiR*E*n*e* [1515],

*from him who is and who was and who is to come;*

aPO ho *o*n kai ho *e*n kai ho erCHOme-nos [2064];

*and from the seven Spirits :before his :throne;*

kai aPO t*o*n hepTA pneuMAt*o*n [4151] ha eN*O*pi-on tou THROnou [2362]
auTOU;

5a* and from Jesus Christ, the faithful :witness,*

kai aPO I*e*SOU ChrisTOU, ho MARtus [3144] ho piSTOS [4103],

*the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth.*

ho pr*o*TOto-kos [4416] t*o*n neKR*O*N [3498], kai ho ARch*o*n [758] t*o*n
ba-siLE*o*n [935] t*e*s g*e*s.

 b. 1:5b-6a ASCRIPTION OF PRAISE TO CHRIST FOR HIS WORKS

*To him that loves us, *t*o* a-gaP*O*Nti h*e*MAS,

*and loosed us from our :sins in his :blood;-*

kai LUsan-ti h*e*MAS ek t*o*n ha-mar-ti*O*N h*e*M*O*N en t*o* HAIma-ti
auTOU;-

6a* and he made us a kingdom, priests to :God and his Father;-*

kai e-POI*e*-sen h*e*MAS ba-siLEIan, hi-eREIS [2409] t*o* The*O* kai paTRI
auTOU;-

*to him the glory and the might unto the ages.*

auT*O* h*e* DOxa [1391] kai to KRAtos [2904] eis tous ai*O*nas [165].

 c. 1:6b * Amen. ** *aM*E*N.

 d. 1:7a THE OPENESS OF CHRIST’S SECOND COMING

*Lo, he comes with the clouds;*

I-DOU, ERche-tai meTA t*o*n ne-pheL*O*N [3507];

*and every eye shall see him, and they that pierced him;*

kai Opse-tai auTON pas oph-thalMOS, kai HOIti-nes auTON e-xeKENt*e*-san
[1574];

*and all the tribes of the earth shall mourn over him.*

kai KOpson-tai [2875] ep’ auTON PAsai hai phuLAI [5443] t*e*s g*e*s.

 e. 1:7b * * *Yes, Amen. * nai, aM*E*N.

 B. 1:8 THE EVERLASTINGNESS OF THE LORD GOD: THE ALMIGHTY

*I am the Alpha and the **O**, says **the **Lord :God,*

E-G*O* ei-mi to ALpha kai to *O*, LEgei KUri-os ho TheOS,

*who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.*

ho *o*n kai ho *e*n kai ho erCHOme-nos, ho pan-toKRAt*o*r [3841].

 C. 1:9-20 THE COMMANDS AND DESCRIPTION OF GLORIFIED JESUS

a. 1:9 PERSECUTION OF JOHN ON ACCOUNT OF HIS WITNESS

*I John, your :brother, and partaker with **you*

E-G*O* I*o*An*e*s, ho a-delPHOS huM*O*N kai sun-koi-n*o*NOS [4791]

*in the tribulation and kingdom and patience in Jesus,*

en t*e* THLIpsei [2347] kai ba-siLEIa kai hu-po-moN*E* [5281] en I*e*SOU,

*was in the isle :called Patmos,*

e-geNO-m*e*n en t*e* N*E*s*o* t*e* ka-louMEn*e* PATm*o*,

*for the word of :God and the witness of Jesus.*

diA ton LOgon tou TheOU kai t*e*n mar-tuRIan [3141] I*e*SOU.

 b. 1:10-11 COMMISSION TO JOHN ON BEHALF OF SEVEN CHURCHES

*I became in Spirit on the Lord’s day,*

e-geNOm*e*n en PNEUma-ti en t*e* ku-ri-aK*E* [2960] h*e*MEra,

*and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trump *11* saying, What you see,
*

kai *E*kou-sa oPIs*o* mou ph*o*N*E*N meGAl*e*n, h*o*s SALpig-gos [4536]
leGOUs*e*s, Ho BLEpeis,

*write in a booklet and send to the seven churches:*

GRApson eis bibLIon kai PEMpson tais hepTA ek-kl*e*SIais [1577]:

*unto Ephesus, and unto Smyrna, and unto Pergamos,*

eis Ephe-son, kai eis SMURnan, kai eis PERga-mon,

*and unto Thyatira, and unto Sardeis, and unto Philadelphia, and unto
Laodicea.*

kai eis ThuAtei-ra, kai eis SARdeis, kai eis Phi-la-delPHIan, kai eis
La-oDIki-an.

 c. 1:12a * And I turned to see the voice that spoke with me.*

Kai ePEstre-psa BLEpein t*e*n ph*o*N*E*N H*E*tis eLAlei met’ eMOU.

 d. 12b-13 A VISION OF CHRIST IN THE MIDST OF THE SEVEN CHURCHES

*And having turned I saw seven golden lampstands;*

kai e-pisTREpsas [1994] EIdon hepTA luchNIas [3087] chruSAS [5552];

13 *and amidst the lampstands one like a son of man, clothed down to the
foot,*

kai en MEs*o* t*o*n luch-ni*O*N HOmoi-on hui*O* anTHR*O*pou, en-de-duMEnon
poD*E*r*e*,

*and girt about at the breasts with a golden girdle.*

kai pe-ri-e-z*o*sMEnon [4024] pros tois masTOIS Z*O*n*e*n [2223] chruSAN.

 e. 1:14-16 A SEVEN-FOLD DESCRIPTION OF CHRIST

*And his :head and his :hair white as white wool, *

h*e* de ke-phaL*E* [2776] auTOU kai hai TRIches leuCHAI [3022] h*o*s
Eri-on [2053]
leuKON,

*as snow; and his :eyes as a flame of fire;*

h*o*s chi*O*N; kai hoi oph-thalMOI auTOU h*o*s phlox [5395] puROS [4442];

15 *and his :feet like burnished brass, as refined in a furnace;*

kai hoi POdes auTOU HOmoi-oi chal-ko-liBAn*o* [5474], h*o*s en kaMIn*o*
pe-pu-r*o*MEn*e*s;

*and his :voice as **the** voice of many waters;*

kai h*e* ph*o*N*E* auTOU h*o*s ph*o*N*E* huDAt*o*n [5204] polL*O*N;

16* and having in his :right **hand** seven stars:*

kai Ech*o*n en t*e* de-xiA cheiRI auTOU asTEras [792] hepTA:

*and proceeding out of his :mouth a sharp two-edged sword:*

kai ek tou STOma-tos auTOU 'romPHAIa [4501] DIsto-mos oXEIa ek-po-reu-oMEn*e
*:

*and his :countenance as the sun shines in his :strength.*

kai h*e* Opsis [3799] auTOU h*o*s ho H*E*li-os [2246] PHAInei [5316]
en t*e*duNAmei auTOU.

 f. 1:17a* And when I saw him, I fell at his :feet as one dead.*

Kai HOte EIdon auTON, Epe-sa pros tous POdas auTOU h*o*s neKROS [3498].

 1:17b-18 RE-ASSURING STATEMENT OF JESUS

*And he laid his :right **hand **upon me, saying, *

kai Eth*e*ken t*e*n de-xiAN auTOU ep’ eME, LEg*o*n,

*Fear not; ** *M*e* phoBOU;

*I am the first and the last, *18* and the Living **one**; and I became
dead,*

eG*O* ei-mi ho PR*O*tos kai ho EScha-tos, kai ho z*o*n; kai e-geNOm*e*n
neKROS,

*and lo, I am alive unto the ages of the ages,*

kai iDOU, z*o*n ei-mi eis tous ai*O*nas t*o*n ai*O*n*o*n [165],

*and have the keys of death and of :Hades.*

kai Ech*o* tas kleis [2192] tou thaNAtou kai tou HAdou.

 h. 1:19-20a JESUS COMMISSIONS JOHN TO WRITE THE VISION OF MYSTERY

*Write therefore what **things **you saw, and those which are,*

GRApson oun ha EIdes, kai HA ei-sin,

*and those which shall come to pass hereafter;*

kai ha MELlei GInes-thai meTA TAUta;

20a* the mystery of the seven stars which you saw in my :right, *

to musT*E*ri-on t*o*n hepTA asTEr*o*n hous EIdes ePI t*e*s de-xiAS mou,

*and the seven :golden lampstands.*

kai tas hepTA luchNIas tas chruSAS.

 i. 1:20b INTERPRETATION OF THE SEVEN STARS AND LAMPSTANDS

*The seven stars are angels of the seven churches:*

hoi hepTA asTEras AGge-loi [32] t*o*n hepTA ek-kl*e*-si*O*N ei-sin:

*and the seven :lampstands are seven churches.*

kai hai luchNIai hai hepTA hepTA ek-kl*e*SIai eiSIN.

 *NOTE:* Revelation 1:5b has a significant change in Panin’s Numeric New
Testament. Most versions read “To him who loves us, and *washed* us from
our sins in his blood;” – *not* so our text, which reads, “To him who loves
us and *loosed* us from our sins in his :blood;” The Textus Receptus
(Stephanus) and other Greek texts add one letter to this word. Instead of
“LOUsan-ti,” it reads “LUsan-ti,” one letter less.

 Much of our Theology and our hymns are based on this variation. “But is it
that important a variation,” you might ask? Well, let’s look at it from the
first Torah reading following “Simcha Torah,” the “Joy of Torah,” which
took place last Thursday, October 4, or Tishri 22, the last day and great
celebration of the 3 Fall Feasts of the Bible (Blowing of Trumpets, Day of
Atonement and Feast of Tabernacles). Genesis 1:1-6:8 was the first Torah
reading of the New Year last week..

 Now consider Cain and Abel in Genesis 4. Abel obeyed God’s desire and
offered a blood sacrifice, looking forward to the day when Jesus would
fulfill all Old Testament sacrifices by the shedding of His own blood on
Calvary, and effectively reversing all the damage* *Adam did when he
transgressed God’s first command and ate the forbidden fruit from the Tree
of the Knowledge of good and evil. His sin gave entrance to the spirit of
Satan to enter the human race. This immediately brought death to the spirit
of all mankind, and subsequently death to the body too. Mankind immediately
moved into a fleshly rather than a spiritual mode, and became self-pleasers
rather than *God*-pleasers. Cain clearly demonstrated this drastic shift.

 Jesus: Son of Man and Son of God – showed the exact opposite example.
Every word He spoke – every miracle He performed – were at the
*Father's*behest. He sought to please the Father supremely,
*not* His own will. He *perfectly* fulfilled Revelation 4:11 – *“**You** **are
worthy, our :Lord and :God, to receive the glory and the honor and the
power: because you did create :all **things**, and because of your :will
they were, and were created.”*

 So – though *God* is worthy to be put first in all things, why then do we
put ourselves as individuals of the human race ahead of Him in preference?
Because of the tragedy that the first Adam allowed to happen to us by
siding with Satan and letting *his* nature to permeate the race.

 Does God hold us as his progeny responsible for this? No – ten thousand
times no! *that* is why God so loved us that He sent His Son – the
*second*Adam, to restore fellowship between us and Him through His
blood sacrifice
on the Cross of Calvary. Jesus said to the Father in His pre-incarnate
state as quoted in Hebrews –* “Sacrifice and offering you would not, But a
body did you prepare me, **6 **In whole burnt offerings** **and **sacrifices
** for sins you had no pleasure: **7** Then said I, Lo, I am come (In the
roll of **the** book it is written of me) :To do your :will, **O**
:God”*(Hebrews 10:5-7). Mel Gibson grasps this in his “The Passion of
the Christ!”

 There it is! The Father and the Son are agreed in pre-incarnate times! Old
Testament sacrifices are but types and shadows. Abel with all others looked
forward to Jesus the Son of God as the Lamb of God slain from the
foundation of the world. And what Jesus our Messiah, the Son of God did,
was to *loose* us from the bondage of Satan at the time of the first Adam’s
sin. Legally Satan has *no right* now over the human race since Calvary. It
wasn’t a “washing” but a *loosing* that took place. 50 days after Calvary
came Pentecost and the Holy Spirit, the very *heredity* of Jesus – entered
first the 120, then the 3000 – and then to us through their children, and
children’s children. And when we receive the Holy Spirit, Jesus fulfills
the Father’s desire to bring *many* *sons* (and daughters) into glory! We
become like Jesus through the gift of the Holy Spirit. Jesus through the
Spirit now lives His victorious life through us in the Sermon on the Mount
– and *all* His commandments. Remember the Great Commission of Matthew
28:18-20 – *make disciples *from all nations, *baptizing* them, and *
teaching* them to keep *all* My commandments! And think *not* that Jesus’
commandments are but the “red” words of Jesus in the Gospels! For Paul by
the Spirit said in 1 Corinthians 14:37 – “If any think himself to be a
prophet or spiritual, let him take knowledge of what *things* I write you,
that it *is* the *Lord's commandment*.” And that applies also to all other
New Testament writers!

 Assuredly the above is *not* milk of the Word, but meat. Neither is the
book of Revelation milk of the Word! *Be loosed* then from the bondage of
sin through the First Adam’s failure, and seize hold of the Blood Sacrifice
of the *Last Adam*, and the New Covenant in His blood! *Then* the Holy
Spirit within will work to appropriate to us *all* the heredity, nature,
victory and beauty of Jesus to live through us *His* overcoming life.
*Then* Galatians
2:20 will have reality. *Then* will *loosing* over washing have
*great*significance.

 2010-04-18 - Friends - My apologies. Like Harry Truman I must say, “The
buck stops here.” I am occasionally asked to send out with these mailing a
document that seems to the requester to be relevant and needful. I trust
that those first receiving it over the Internet have checked it out with
“Snopes” or others. *But* - that is no excuse. I have no right to accede to
such requests without checking it out myself.

 I recently sent out an addition to a Revelation 1:1-3 mailing entitled -
“In Memoriam” - concerning an action by the University of Kentucky
regarding the Holocaust. This is not true. It first started circulating in
2007 and has resurfaced a couple of times. Just an email rumor.

 Please forgive my negligence. There is a Latin Proverb for this: -

*Errare humanum est - ignoscere divinum.*

*To err is human - to forgive is divine.*

 This however is not the original proverb, but an adaptation, which police
officers often like to use concerning some criminal cases. The original is:
-

*Errare humanum est - perseverare autem diabolicum!*

*It is human to make mistakes - it is of the devil to continue making them!*

Seneca the Younger - 4 BC to AD 45 wrote this to Nero, who he was
mentoring. Unfortunately, Nero did not heed this wise maxim. I, however,
wish to do so, and invite all others to thoroughly check out emails over
the internet before passing them on. - Chastened - J.A.Watt