James 5:7-20 - Interlinear

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Tue May 29 10:40:04 PDT 2012

May 29, 2012

 *(From: JAMES #7 - 5:7-20)*

 IV. 5:7-20 PRACTICAL LESSONS IN PATIENCE, WORD & PRAYER

1. 5:7-11 LESSONS IN PATIENCE

a. 5:7a* Be patient therefore, brothers, until the presence of the Lord.*

Ma-kro-thuM*E*sa-te [3114] oun, a-delPHOI, HE*o*s t*e*s pa-rouSIas
[3952]tou KuRIou.

 b. 5:7b THE FARMER IS PATIENT UNTIL HARVEST RAIN.

*Lo, the husbandman waits for the precious fruit of the earth,*

iDOU, ho ge-*o*rGOS ekDEche-tai ton TImi-on karPON ton t*e*s g*e*s,

*being patient over it, until it receive the early and latter rain.*

ma-kro-thuM*O*N ep’ auT*O*, HE*o*s LAb*e* PROi-mon [4406] kai Opsi-mon
[3797].

 c. 5:8 PATIENCE IN THE LIGHT OF JESUS’ SOON COMING

*Be YOU also patient; stablish your :hearts:*

ma-kro-thuM*E*sa-te kai huMEIS; st*e*RIxa-te tas [4741] karDIas huM*O*N:

*because the presence of the Lord is at hand.*

HOti h*e* pa-rouSIa tou KuRIou *E*Ggi-ken.

 d. 5:9 THE SOON COMING OF CHRIST REBUKES BACKBITING

*Murmur not, brothers, against one another, that you be not judged:*

m*e* steNAze-te [4727], a-delPHOI, kat’ alL*E*l*o*n, HIna m*e* kriTH*E*te:

*lo, the judge stands before the doors.*

iDOU, ho kriT*E*S pro t*o*n thuR*O*N ESt*e*-ken.

 e. 5:10 THE PROPHETS EXEMPLIFY PATIENCE

*Take, brothers, for an example of :suffering and of :patience,*

huPOdeig-ma [5262] LAbe-te, a-delPHOI, *te*s ka-ko-paTHIas [2552] kai t*e*s
ma-kro-thuMIas,

*the prophets, who spoke in the name of **the** Lord.*

tous proPH*E*tas, hoi eLAl*e*-san en t*o* oNOma-ti KuRIou.

 f. 5:11 THE BLESSING OF ENDURANCE SHINES THROUGH JOB’S PATIENCE

*Lo, we call them blessed that endured:*

iDOU, ma-kaRIzo-men [3106] tous hu-poMEInan-tas [5278]:

*you have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord,*

*te*n hu-po-moN*E*N I-*O*B *e*KOUsa-te, kai to TElos KuRIou EIde-te,

*how that the Lord is full of pity, and merciful.*

HOti poLUsplagchNOS [4184] es-tin ho KUri-os, kai oikTIRm*o*n [3629].

 2. 5:12 LESSONS IN SIMPLICITY OF SPOKEN WORD

*But above all, my brothers, swear not, *

Pro PANt*o*n de, a-delPHOI mou, m*e* omNUe-te [3660],

*neither by the heaven, nor by the earth, nor any other oath:*

M*E*te ton ou-raNON, M*E*te t*e*n g*e*n, M*E*te ALlon tiNA HORkon [3727]:

*but let your :yes be yes, and the no, no; that you fall not under judgment.
*

*E*t*o* de huM*O*N to Nai, nai, kai to Ou, ou; HIna m*e* huPO KRIsin PEs*e*
-te.

 3. 5:13-20 RESULTS OF FERVENT PRAYER

a. 5:13a * Is any among you suffering? Let him pray.*

Ka-ko-paTHEI [2553] tis en huMIN? pro-seuCHESth*o* [4336].

 b. 5:13b * Is any cheerful? let him sing praise. ** *eu-thuMEI [2114] tis?
psalLEt*o* [5567].

 c. 5:14-15 ANOINTING BY ELDERS: CURE FOR THE SICK

*Is any among you sick? let him call for the elders of the church;*

as-theNEI [770] tis en huMIN? pro-ska-leSASth*o* tous pres-buTErous [4245] t
*e*s ek-kl*e*SIas;

*and let them pray over him, having anointed **him** with oil in the name
of the Lord:*

kai pro-seuXASth*o*-san ep’ auTON, aLEIpsan-tes [218] eLAI*o* [1637]
en t*o*oNOma-ti tou KuRIou:

15* and the prayer of :faith shall save the weary one, and the Lord shall
raise him up;*

kai h*e* euCH*E* t*e*s PISte-*o*s S*O*sei ton KAMnon-ta [2577], kai e-geREI
auTON ho KUri-os;

*and if he have committed sins, it shall be forgiven him.*

ka’ ’n ha-marTIas *e* pe-poi-*e*K*O*S, a-pheTH*E*se-tai [863] auT*O*.

 d. 5:16a TWO CONDITIONS FOR HEALING

*Confess therefore your :sins one to another, and pray one for another, *

e-xo-mo-loGEISthe [1843] oun alL*E*lois tas ha-marTIas, kai proSEUches-the
huPER alL*E*l*o*n,

*that you be healed.*

HOp*o*s iaTH*E*te.

 e. 5:16b * The supplication of a righteous man avails much in its working.*

poLU isCHUei DE*e*-sis [1162] diKAIou e-ner-gouMEn*e* [1754].

 f. 5:17 ELIJAH’S EXAMPLE OF EFFECTIVE SUPPLICATION: NO RAIN

*Elijah was a man of like passions with us,*

*E*-LEIas ANthr*o*-pos *e*n ho-moi-o-paTH*E*S [3663] h*e*MIN,

*and he prayed fervently that it might not rain;*

kai pro-seuCH*E* pro-s*e*Uxa-to tou m*e* BRExai [1026];

*and it rained not on the earth for three years and six months.*

kai ouk Ebre-xen ePI t*e*s g*e*s e-ni-auTOUS treis kai M*E*nas hex.

 g. 5:18 HIS PRAYER FOR RAIN: GRANTED

*And he prayed again; and the heaven gave rain,*

kai PAlin pro-s*e*Uxa-to; kai ho ou-raNOS hu-eTON [5205] Ed*o*-ken,

*and the earth brought forth her :fruit.*

kai h*e* g*e* eBLASt*e*-sen [985] ton karPON auT*E*S.

 h. 5:19-20 BLESSING TO THE SINNER THROUGH THE SOUL-WINNER

*My brothers, if any among you err from the truth, and one convert him;*

A-delPHOI mou, eAN tis en huMIN pla-n*e*TH*E* aPO t*e*s a-l*e*THEIas, kai
e-piSTREps*e* tis auTON;

20* know that who converts a sinner from **the** error of his way*

giN*O*Ske-te HOti ho e-piSTREpsas ha-mar-t*o*LON ek PLAn*e*s [4106] hoDOU
auTOU

 *shall save his soul from death, and shall cover a multitude of sins.*

S*O*sei [4982] psuCH*E*N auTOU ek thaNAtou, kai kaLUpsei [2572] PL*E*thos
ha-mar-ti*O*N.

 *NOTE: *This seventh and closing section of the letter by James to
Messianic Jewish Congregations both at home and in the Diaspora – but
proves again the practical wisdom of the brother of Jesus – and how it is
the New Testament link with the Book of Proverbs in the Old Testament.

 The Numeric paragraphing and sentence structure revealed to Ivan Panin,
shows how wonderfully the Holy Spirit has used the 33 known writers of the
66 books of the Bible. He allows them to use their own vocabulary, life
experiences, education and unique individuality; while at the same time
divinely guiding all that they wrote. Here we see the merging of Heaven and
earth, God and man.

 Were the Bible writers aware how marvelously God was using them in this
manner? In part, but not in the numeric structure. This is but the wonder
of our God.

 It is fitting that God would lead James to close his letter with this
three-fold lesson. Would you link together Patience, Keeping the Word
simple, and Effective Prayer? Not likely. Neither would I. But see how
effectively James under the guidance of the Spirit does so! And remember
what Paul said about the 14 letters he wrote! He said, *“If any thinks
himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him take knowledge of what **
things** I write you, **that it is **the** Lord’s commandment*” *(1 COR
14:37)*. In other words, Paul the apostle was totally aware that he was
under the immediate guidance of the Lord in *all* of his writings. People
who have problems with Paul’s writings, best be most careful! One day we
will all appear before the Judgment Seat of Christ to answer for our
behavior, example and Teaching!

 What Paul says about his writings applies equally to *all other Bible
writers*! Peter says, *“For no prophecy was ever borne by man’s will; but
men spoke **from God**, being **borne **on** by **the** Holy Spirit**”* *(2
PET 1:21)*.

 No wonder James says *“Be not many teachers, my brothers, knowing that we
shall receive **greater **condemnation”* *(JAS 3:1)**.*

 I shudder for the sake of those who will face judgment for so much bad,
false, superficial and careless teaching that abounds today! Thank God,
there are those like Ivan Panin, who seriously regarded these words by
Isaiah –

“*But <for this one> will I look around,*

*For him who is humbled and smitten in spirit,*

*And **so cares anxiously for my word**” (66:2b, Rotherham).*

 This was the manner in which Panin regarded God’s Word! This is how James
and Paul regarded it! These three are worthy examples for all of us. Beware
of those who fail to measure up with them. - J.A.Watt