1 John 2:7-17 - Interlinear

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Wed May 30 17:25:58 PDT 2012

May 30, 2012

 *(From: 1 JOHN #2 - 2:7-17) *

 C. 2:7-17 DIVINE FELLOWSHIP IS VICTORIOUS

1. 2:7-8 GOD’S WORD IN VICTORY

a. 2:7 THE WORD: THE OLD COMMANDMENT

*Beloved, no new commandment write I to you,*

A-ga-p*e*TOI, ouk en-toL*E*N kaiN*E*N [2537] GRAph*o* huMIN,

*but an old commandment which you had from the beginning:*

all’ en-toL*E*N pa-laiAN [3820] *e*n EIche-te ap’ arCH*E*S:

*the old :commandment is the word which you heard.*

h*e* en-toL*E* h*e* pa-laiA es-tin ho LOgos hon *e*KOUsa-te.

 b. 2:8 A WALK IN LIGHT AND LOVE: A NEW COMMANDMENT

*Again, a new commandment write I to you, which **thing **is true in him
and in you;*

PAlin, en-toL*E*N kaiN*E*N GRAph*o* huMIN, HO es-tin a-l*e*THES [227] en auT
*O* kai en huMIN;

*because the darkness is passing away, and the true :light already shines.*

HOti h*e* skoTIa [4653] paRAge-tai, kai to ph*o*s [5457] to a-l*e*-thiNON *E
*d*e* PHAInei [5316].

 2. 2:9-11 GOD’S LOVE IN VICTORY

a. 2:9* Who says he is in the light and hates his :brother, is in the
darkness even until now.*

Ho LEg*o*n en t*o* ph*o*TI EInai kai ton a-delPHON auTOU miS*O*N, en
t*e*skoTIa esTIN HE
*o*s ARti.

 b. 2:10 * Who loves his :brother abides in the light, and no stumbling is
in him.*

ho a-gaP*O*N ton a-delPHON auTOU en t*o* ph*o*TI MEnei, kai SKANda-lon en
auT*O* ouk EStin.

 c. 2:11 A BLIND WALK: RESULT OF HATRED OF BROTHER

*But who hates his :brother is in the darkness,*

ho de miS*O*N ton a-delPHON auTOU en t*e* skoTIa esTIN,

*and walks in the darkness, and knows not where he goes,*

kai en t*e* skoTIa pe-ri-paTEI, kai ouk OIden pou huPAgei,

*because the darkness has blinded his :eyes.*

HOti h*e* skoTIa eTUPHl*o*-sen [5186] tous oph-thalMOUS auTOU.

 3. 2:12-17 GOD’S KNOWLEDGE IN VICTORY

a. 2:12* I write to you, little children, because your :sins are forgiven
you for his :name’s sake.*

GRAph*o* huMIN, tekNIa, HOti aPHE*o*n-tai [863] huMIN hai ha-marTIai diA to
Ono-ma auTOU.

 b. 2:13a* I write to you, fathers, because you know him who is from
thebeginning.
*

GRAph*o* huMIN, paTEres, HOti egN*O*ka-te [1097] ton ap’ arCH*E*S.

 c. 2:13b* I write to you, young men, because you have overcome the evil one
.*

GRAph*o* huMIN, ne-aNISkoi [3495], HOti ne-niK*E*ka-te [3528] ton po-n*e*RON
[4190].

 d. 2:13c* I wrote to you, little children, because you know the Father.*

Egra-psa huMIN, paiDIa [3813], HOti egN*O*ka-te ton paTEra.

 e. 2:14a* I wrote to you, fathers, because you know him who is from
thebeginning.
*

Egra-psa huMIN, paTEres, HOti egN*O*ka-ton ap’ arCH*E*S.

 f. 2:14b THREE QUALIFICATIONS FOR YOUNG MEN IN CHRIST!

*I wrote to you, young men, because you are strong,*

Egra-psa huMIN, ne-aNISkoi, HOti is-chuROI [2478] es-te,

*and the word of :God abides in you, and you have overcome the evil one.*

kai ho LOgos tou TheOU en huMIN MEnei [3306], kai ne-niK*E*ka-te [3528] ton
po-n*e*RON.

 g. 2:15a* Love not the world, neither the things in the world.*

m*e* a-gaPAte ton KOSmon, m*e*DE ta en t*o* KOSm*o*.

 h. 2:15b * If any loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.*

eAN tis a-gaPA ton KOSmon, ouk EStin h*e* aGAp*e* tou paTROS en auT*O*.

 i. 2:16 OPPOSITES: THE WORLD AND THE FATHER!

*Because all that **is** in the world, the lust of the flesh*

HOti pan to en t*o* KOSm*o*, h*e* e-pi-thuMIa [1939] t*e*s sarKOS [4561]

*and the lust of the eyes and the vainglory of :life,*

kai h*e* e-pi-thuMIa t*o*n oph-thalM*O*N kai h*e* a-la-zoNIa [212] tou BIou
[979],

*is not of the Father, but is of the world.*

ouk EStin ek tou paTROS, alLA ek tou KOSmou esTIN.

 j. 2:17 THE TRANSITORY WORLD VERSUS THE ETERNAL GOD

*And the world passes away, and the lust thereof:*

kai ho KOSmos paRAge-tai [3855], kai h*e* e-pi-thuMIa auTOU:

*but who does the will of :God abides unto the age.*

Ho de poi*O*N to THEl*e*-ma [2307] tou TheOU MEnei eis ton ai*O*na [165].

 *NOTE:* Many Bible students have noted that God loves to set forth truth
in “threes”. The Triunity of the Godhead is Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
Man is made in the image of God: body, soul and spirit. Moses’ Tabernacle
and Solomon’s Temple are Outer Court, Holy Place and Holy of Holies.

 Now here in 1 John we find two more, out of scores of examples of 3-fold
truths. The Holy Spirit through John writes to - little children, young men
and fathers. God would have us all reach the third stage, yet we all start
out in the Kingdom of God as little children. Natural birth, growth and
development are a fitting type of this.

 Then John takes “young men”, and reveals the potential of a three-fold
victory: strong, the word of God abiding, and overcoming the evil one.

 The above are less than 10 examples of 3-fold truths. Out of curiosity I
have listed over 100 such examples. You who read this might obtain a
blessing by seeing how many you can collate from Bible study. - J.A.Watt