Acts 26:24-32 - Interlinear

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Mon May 28 12:54:44 PDT 2012

May 28, 2012

 *(From: ACTS #44 - 26:24-32)*

 2. 26:24-29 REACTION OF FESTUS AND AGRIPPA

a. 26:24 FESTUS' REACTION TO PAUL'S TESTIMONY

*And as he thus made his defense, :Festus said with loud :voice, Paul, you
are mad;*

TAUta de auTOU a-po-lo-gouMEnou, ho PH*E*stos meGAl*e* t*e* ph*o*N*E* ph*e*SIN,
MAIn*e*, PAUle;

*your much learning turns you to madness.*

ta polLA se GRAMma-ta [1121] eis maNIan [3130] pe-riTREpei [4062].

 b. 26:25 PAUL POLITELY CORRECTS FESTUS

*But :Paul said, I am not mad, excellent Festus;*

ho de PAUlos, Ou MAIno-mai, ph*e*SIN, KRAti-ste [2903] PH*E*ste;

*but I speak forth words of truth and soberness.*

alLA a-l*e*THEIas kai s*o*-phroSUn*e*s [4907] 'R*E*ma-ta a-pophTHEGgo-mai
[659].

 c. 26:26 PAUL APPEALS TO AGRIPPA'S UNDERSTANDING

*For the king knows of these things, unto whom I speak boldly:*

ePIsta-tai [1987] gar peRI TOUt*o*n ho ba-siLEUS, pros hon
par-r*e*-si-aZOme-nos
[3955] laL*O*:

*for I am persuaded that none of these is hidden from him;*

lanTHAnein [2990] gar auTON TOUt*o*n ou PEItho-mai [3982] ouTHEN;

*for this has not been done in a corner.*

ou GAR es-tin en g*o*NIa [1137] pe-pragMEnon [4238] TOUto.

 d. 26:27a* King Agrippa, do you believe the prophets?*

piSTEUeis, Ba-siLEU A-GRIPpa, tois proPH*E*tais?

 e. 26:27b. * I know that you believe. ** *OIda HOti piSTEUeis.

 f. 26:28 KING AGRIPPA'S TESTIMONY

*And :Agrippa said unto Paul, *ho de A-GRIPpa pros ton PAUlon,

*With but little you persuade to make a Christian of ME.*

En oLIg*o* me PEItheis [3952] Chri-sti-aNON [5546] poi*E*sai [4160].

 g. 26:29 PAUL'S DESIRE: ALL PRESENT TO BELIEVE AS HE DOES!

*And Paul said, I would to :God, that whether with little or with great,*

ho de PAUlos, EuXAIm*e*n [2172] an t*o* The*O*, kai en oLIg*o* kai en meGAl*
o*,

*not you only, but also all that hear me today,*

ou MOnon SE, alLA kai PANtas tous aKOUonTAS mou S*E*me-ron,

*might become such as I am, except these :bonds.*

geNESthai toiOUtous hoPOIos [3697] kai eG*O* ei-mi, pa-rekTOS [3924] t*o*n
desM*O*N [1199] TOUt*o*n.

 3. 26:30-32 AGRIPPA VINDICATES PAUL

a. 26:30-31 AGRIPPA'S CONCLUSION

*And the king rose, and the governor, and Bernice,*

A-NEst*e* te ho ba-siLEUS, kai ho h*e*-geMON [2232], H*E* te BerNIk*e*,

*and they that sat with them: *31* and when they had withdrawn,*

kai hoi sun-kaTH*E*me-noi auTOIS: kai a-na-ch*o*R*E*san-tes [402],

*they spoke one to another, saying [that],*

eLAloun pros alL*E*lous, LEgon-tes [HOti],

*This :man does nothing worthy of death or of bonds.*

OuDEN thaNAtou *e* desM*O*N Axi-on PRASsei ho ANthr*o*-pos HOUtos.

 b. 26:32 HIS DETAILED VINDICATION OF PAUL

*And Agrippa said to :Festus, This man could have been set at liberty,*

A-GRIPpas de t*o* PH*E*st*o* Eph*e*, A-po-leLUSthai eDUna-to ho ANthr*o*-pos
HOUtos,

*if he had not appealed to Caesar.*

ei m*e* e-peKEkl*e*-to [1941] KAIsa-ra.

 *NOTE**: *26:24 - A *bold* witness for the Gospel of Jesus and the Kingdom
of God, excites a strong reaction from unbelievers! Governor Festus
illustrates this. But note in the following verse Paul's respectful answer
to Festus. We can *all* learn and profit much from the example of the
apostle Paul.

 Then too, see Paul's further argument on the behalf of Festus. He, by the
recourse to King Agripps's knowledge, uses this as a further proof of the
accuracy of his statements. We too, like Paul, can draw on areas of our
knowledge, friends, background, and specific knowledge of the Scriptures -
to persuade those in doubt.

 But suddenly, Paul leaves the problems of Festus, and turns to Agrippa. By
the Spirit's gift of a word of knowledge and wisdom, he discerns that the
king has an open heart to the revelation of the OT prophets. Paul first
questions Agrippa's faith in this direction, and then strongly confirms it.
Agrippa's response is one of those unique responses in all of
Scripture - *“With
but little you persuade to make a Christian of ME!”* What a confession! Not
completely yet - but almost. And then Paul's response - Except for these
chains, I wish all of you listening to me were the same as me!

 Then King Agrippa clearly and completely exonerates Paul from all the
charges laid against him by the leading Jews of his day. And - this type of
Jewish leader is still active 1900 years later, and just as violently
stands against all Messianic Jewish believers. Jesus is *still* not
acknowledged by them as the One who came in the Name of the Lord Jehovah.
But - we can pray and intercede for these rejectors of Jesus as God's only
begotten Son - on the basis of Zechariah 12:10-14. For when Jesus returns -
which is very soon - and these leaders see the nailprints in His hands and
feet, and the mark of the spear thrust into His side - then the great
repentance and weeping will take place! J.A.Watt