Joshua 2-5 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 09:08:57 PST 2012

February 8, 2012

 *APR 25 - JOSHUA 2-5 - LAND ENTRANCE*

 *1. 2:9 (2:1-11) JOSHUA: THE SPIES AND RAHAB. “And she [Rahab] said to the
men, 'I know that the LORD has given you the land, and that the fear of you
has fallen upon us, and that all the inhabitants of the land melt away
before you'” (ESV). *What a testimony from a heathen woman, a sinner! What
faith in *You*, Father! O that we Your people always had the perception and
heart of Rahab! *Hallowed be your :name.*

 *2. 2:18 (2:12-24) JOSHUA: BOUND BY SPIES' WORD TO RAHAB. “Behold, when we
come into the land, you shall tie this scarlet cord in the window through
which you let us down, and you shall gather into your house your father and
mother, your brothers, and all your father's household.” *Here is a
practical turn of faith on the part of Rahab; and You honored it, Father! O
may Your will be done in us as effectively as it was in Rahab! *Your
:kingdom come!*

 *3. 3:5 (3:1-13) JOSHUA: PROMISES, AND PROMISED MIRACLE. “Then Joshua said
to the people, 'Consecrate yourselves, for tomorrow the LORD will do
wonders among you.'” *There is a significance about this that we must
*not*pass over! The 12 stones doubled - represent the 12 tribes: 12
baptized
(circumcision); 12 resurrected (Romans 6:4). The *sign* of Jordan was Your
approval Father, and seal that the 7 nations would go (3:10). To this we
too pledge our obedience of faith. *Our :daily :bread Give us this day.*

 *4. 3:17 (3:14-17) JOSHUA SEES DOUBLE PROMISES FULFILLED. “Now the priests
bearing the ark of the covenant of the LORD stood firmly on dry ground in
the midst of the Jordan, and all Israel was passing over on dry ground
until all the nation finished passing over the Jordan.” *And the *sign* of
the Red Sea for Moses - is now fulfilled through Joshua by Jordan! Not only
Israel, but *all nations* took note of this and the 10 plagues - and Sihon,
and Og! O forgive us Father, for failing to see Jesus delivering us from
Satan, and the world, and the spiritual Canaanites in us, the *greatest* of
all! *Our :daily :bread Give us this day!*

 *5. 4:9 (4:1-24) JOSHUA: THE DOUBLE MEMORIAL. “And Joshua set up twelve
stones in the midst of the Jordan, in the place where the feet of the
priests bearing the ark of the covenant had stood; and they are there to
this day.” *The second set of 12 stones in the Promised Land: A *sign* to
future generations of the miracle at *Jordan*! O may we read Your
*signs*aright Father, and not be tempted to forget Your great wonders!
*And forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 5:9 (5:1-9) JOSHUA: REMOVES REPROACH THROUGH CIRCUMCISION. “And the
LORD said to Joshua, 'Today I have rolled away the reproach of Egypt from
you.' And so the name of that place is called Gilgal to this day.”
*Uncircumcision
for a Hebrew was a reproach. See 'uncircumcised' Philistine, David's taunt!
The first generation out of Egypt had so much of Egypt left in them, that
they failed their second generation in circumcision. Now the LORD had
Joshua remedy this. *And bring us not into temptation!*

 *7. 5:15 (5:10-15) JOSHUA: PASSOVER AND CONFIRMATION. “And the commander
of the LORD'S army said to Joshua, 'Take off your sandals from your feet,
for the place where you are standing is holy.' And Joshua did so.” **Jesus*in a
*soldier suit*, said one Sunday School boy (John 17:5). Also,
*Passover*re-instituted with old corn of the new land, ended manna!
*But deliver us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE: 3:7 (3:1-13) JOSHUA: GOD'S PROMISE TO HIM. “The LORD said to
Joshua, 'Today I will begin to exalt you in the sight of all Israel, that
they may know that, as I was with Moses, so I will be with you.” *Through *
signs* and *wonders* You choose to magnify Your chosen, Father. O, do it
again today with your leaders!

 *SPIRITUAL DEJECTION - February 7 - Oswald Chambers*

*(From: “My Utmost for His Highest”)*

*Luke 24:21 (24:13-32) “We were hoping that it was He who was going to
redeem Israel. Indeed, besides all this, today is the third day since these
things happened.”*

 Every fact that the disciples stated was right, but the conclusions they
drew from those facts were wrong. Anything that has even a hint of *
dejection* spiritually - is always wrong. If I am depressed or burdened, I
am to blame, not God or anyone else. *Dejection* stems from one of two
sources - I have either satisfied a lust or I have not had it satisfied. In
either case, *dejection* is the result. *Lust* means “I must have it at
once.” Spiritual lust causes me to demand an answer from God, *instead of
seeking God Himself* who gives the answer. What have I been hoping or
trusting God would do? Is today “the third day” and He has still not done
what I expected? Am I therefore justified in being *dejected* and in
blaming God? Whenever we insist that God should give us an answer to prayer
we are off track. The purpose of prayer is that we get ahold of God, not of
the answer. It is impossible to be well physically and to be *dejected*,
because *dejection* is a sign of sickness. This is also true spiritually. *
Dejection* spiritually is wrong, and we are always to blame for it.

 We look for visions from heaven and for earth-shaking events to see God's
power. Even the fact that we are *dejected* is proof that we do this. Yet
we never realize that all the time God is at work in our everyday events
and in the people around us. If we will only obey, and do the task that He
has placed closest to us, we will see Him. One of the most amazing
revelations of God comes when we learn that it is in the everyday things of
life that we realize the magnificent deity of Jesus Christ!

 And - our Psalm for the day: *115:16 (115:1-18) TO YOUR NAME GIVE GLORY.
“The heavens are the LORD'S heavens, but the earth he has given to the
children of men.” *What a contrast between You and idols, O great Jehovah
Father! Why is man so blind and obtuse that he forsakes *You*, the Fountain
of Living Waters, and carves out for himself broken cisterns? And why does
he insist on seeking to occupy the planets, when it is but the earth that
you have given to us as man? In the light of this, we choose to *Hallow
your :name!*

*
<http://www.2rbetter.org/>*