Joshua 1 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 09:27:19 PST 2012

February 7, 2012

 *APR 24 - JOSHUA 1 - LEADERSHIP PROVISION*

 *1. 1:2 (1:1-2) JOSHUA: PASSING OF THE TORCH. “ Moses my servant is dead.
Now therefore arise, go over this Jordan, you and all this people, into the
land that I am giving to them, to the people of Israel” (ESV). *There is
none of us who is indispensable before You, Father. Your Kingdom did not
collapse because Moses died, nor will it when anyone of us dies. Humble us
with this truth. Show us that You can choose any one of us to succeed Your
Moses. We submit. *Hallowed be your :name!*

 *2. 1:3 (1:3-4) JOSHUA: PROMISE OF THE LAND. “Every place that the sole of
your foot will tread upon I have given you, just as I promised to Moses.” *You
give us the land, our promise Father; but we must appropriate it, by
placing our spiritual foot upon it! Your Sovereignty requires our
responsibility for fulfillment. Passivity is the great enemy to possession.
“Standing on the Promises,” is our watchword. *Your :kingdom come.*

 *3. 1:7 (1:5-7) JOSHUA: PROMISE OF VICTORY. “Only be strong and very
courageous, being careful to do according to all the law that Moses my
servant commanded you. Do not turn from it to the right hand or to the
left, that you may have good success wherever you go.” *Your complete
blueprint must be adhered to Father; not departing from, not adding to, nor
taking from. *Then* You fulfill Your promises! *Your :will be done, As in
heaven, so on earth!*

 *4. 1:8 (1:8-9) JOSHUA: PROVISION THROUGH THE WORD. “This Book of the Law
shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and
night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in
it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good
success.”*

*Meditation* and *confession* of the LOgos word - transforms it into a R*E*ma
word, and brings full prosperity and wise doings. Father, burn this truth
upon our heart. Circumcise our heart with it. And, *Our :daily :bread, Give
us this day!*

 *5. 1:11 (1:10-11) JOSHUA: CHARGE TO THE OFFICERS. “Pass through the midst
of the camp and command the people, 'Prepare your provisions, for within
three days you are to pass over this Jordan to go in to take possession of
the land that the LORD your God is giving you to possess.'” *True faith has
wise follow-through - with obedience, preparation and provision. Like You
Father, we call the things that are not as though they were, and act like
it! *And forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 1:14b-15 (1:12-15) JOSHUA: CHARGE TO 2 ½ TRIBES. “But all the men of
valor among you shall pass over armed before your brothers and shall help
them, 15 until the LORD gives rest to your brothers as he has to you, and
they also take possession of the land that the LORD your God is giving
them. Then you shall return to the land of your possession and shall
possess it, the land that Moses the servant of the LORD gave you beyond the
Jordan toward the sunrise.” *And be sure your sin will find you out if you
fail in this (Numbers 32:20-24). *And bring us not into temptation.*

 *7. 1:16 (1:16-18) JOSHUA: THEIR ANSWER. “And they answered Joshua, 'All
that you have commanded us we will do, and wherever you send us we will
go.'” *What a marvelous response: even death to the disobedient. See King
Asa's slogan: Revival or death (2 Chronicles 15:13)! This honors You
Father. *But deliver us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: 1:9 (1:8-9) JOSHUA: GOD'S ADDITIONAL WORD TO HIM. “Have I not
commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not
be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.” *What an
encouraging promise You have given Joshua, Father! We move in, and apply it
unto ourselves.

 Joshua 1:8 is one of the most important verses in the OT - and even in the
entire Bible. Three things Moses lays upon his servant and successor
Joshua, 40 years his junior: he is to read aloud the words of Moses in the
first 5 books of the Bible - the Torah, law, or *teaching*. Kings of Israel
at the beginning of their reign, were commanded to copy the same by hand,
and read the same like Joshua.

 Secondly, Joshua was to *meditate* upon this portion of God's Bible, which
alone was in existence at that time. Meditation in the heart could also be
softly vocalized. Thirdly, he was to *do* all written in the Pentateuch,
the 5 books of Moses, the Torah. Then follows two wonderful promises -
spiritual prosperity and success. Remember too - meditation upon God's Word
is to be *day* and *night*! Only two slips are recorded against Joshua in
the next 30 years of his life as leader - so his leadership was solidly
based on vocalizing the word, *meditating* upon it, and *doing* *all* of it!

 Psalm 19:14 sets forth the first two of these commands, and Psalm 1:1-3
also.

 George Muller and George Whitefield followed closely in the steps of
Joshua, and both of these saints powerfully set forth the wisdom in basing
one's life upon these principles.

 The “Outlined Interlinear NT” based on the works of Ivan Panin - can
greatly help us in simple and effective meditation. The whole of the NT
should be the basis of our careful and faithful meditation! See 1 Timothy
4:15, which according to the Greek can be properly rendered - *“Be diligent
in meditating over all the teachings I Paul have given you, Timothy.”*

 Whatever you are led by the Spirit to memorize in the NT - *faithfully* *
meditate* upon it also! It is through *meditation* that we transfer the
written word (LOgos) into the *living* Word (R*E*ma, Christ Himself!).

 And Paul adds in Hebrews 8:6 (8:1-13) *“But now has he [Jesus] a ministry the
more superior [than Moses], by so much as he is also mediator of a
bettercovenant, which has been constituted by God as
Torah upon better promises!” *Because of this, George Muller majored on the
NT, which uses the OT as types and shadows.

 And now - our Psalm for the day: *114:7-8 (114:1-8) TREMBLE AT THE
PRESENCE OF THE LORD. “Tremble O earth, at the presence of the LORD, at the
presence of the God of Jacob, 8 who turns the rock into a pool of water,
the flint into a spring of water.” *It was through Your people Father, that
You caused this great effect upon the earth! When we are yielded to You as
Israel then was, You can do *anything* through us! *Hallowed be your :name!*