John 17 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 09:39:00 PST 2011

November 19, 2011

 *MAR 30 - JOHN 17 - JESUS: HIS HIGH PRIESTLY PRAYER*

 *1. 17:4-5 (17:1-5) JESUS: PRAYER FOR HIMSELF. “I glorified you on :earth,
having accomplished the work which you have given me to do. 5 And now YOU
glorify me with yourself, Father, with the glory which I had with you
before the world was” (NNT). *Father, we accept the word of Your Son. He
had glory with You before the world was; before His physical birth He had a
relationship with You. In His humanity You have made Him King of
kings! *Hallowed
be your :name!*

 *2. 17:6 (17:6-10) JESUS: PRAYER FOR THOSE GIVEN TO HIM. “I manifested
your :name to the men whom you gave me out of the world: yours they were,
and you gave them to me; and they have kept your :word.” *What a gracious
prayer on our behalf, Father! And in Your Name - JEHOVAH the Savior.
*That*is the essence of the name
*Jesus*, that You gave to Your only begotten Son, in which we are kept! *Your
:kingdom come.*

 *3. 17:11 (17:11-13) JESUS: FOR THEIR PRESERVATION AND ONENESS! “And I am
no more in the world, and THEY are in the world, and I come unto you. Holy
Father, keep them in your :name, in which you have given them to me, that
they be one, even as we are.” *Father, we are kept by Your Power through
faith unto salvation (1 Peter 1:5), and we are also kept by Your Name! *Your
:will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 17:15-16 (17:14-19) JESUS: PRAYER FOR THEIR SANCTIFICATION. “I ask not
that you take them out of the world, but that you should keep them out of
the evil one. 16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.”
*First You separate us unto Yourself through Reconciliation in answer to
Jesus' prayer, Father! Then You make Him to be unto us Holiness inwardly,
that through Him You might conform us unto His image, and bring many sons
into glory! O forgive us that we perceive Your purposes so dimly! *Our
:daily :bread Give us this day.*

 *5. 17:20-21 (17:20-23) JESUS: PRAYER FOR ONENESS OF ALL BELIEVERS. “And
not for these only do I ask, but them also that believe unto me through
their :word; 21 that all be one; even as you, Father, in me, and I in you,
that THEY also be in us: that the world believe that you did send me.” *We,
the living believers today, are also included in Jesus' prayer. Father, we
bless You for the all-encompassing nature of this prayer! *And forgive us
our :debts, As we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 17:24 JESUS: PRAYER FOR BELIEVERS TO BE WITH HIM! “Father, what you
have given me, I desire that where I am, they also be with me, that they
may behold :my :glory, which you have given me: because you loved me before
the world's foundation.” *You foreknew Your Son in the flesh, and You
foreknew us in Him! Such knowledge is too wonderful for us: we cannot
attain unto it! *And bring us not into temptation.*

 *7. 17:25-26 JESUS: HIS FINAL APPEAL FOR LOVE. “Righteous Father, the
world also knew you not, but I knew you; and these knew that you did send
me; 26 and I made known to them your :name, and will make it known; that
the love with which you loved me be in them, and I in them.” *Your Name
Father, is the Key whereby Your love may abide with us! *But deliver us
from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: 17:22-23 (17:20-23) JESUS: ON THE NATURE OF GOD'S GLORY. “And I
have given them the glory which you have given me; that they be one, even
as we **are one; 23 I in them, and you in me, that they be perfected into
one; that the world know that you did send me, and loved them, even as you
loved me.” *These are key verses in this whole chapter. O that in our
spirits - we may comprehend the majesty and truly heavenly nature of this
prayer!

 From 1949-1952 I attended and graduated from the Northern Baptist
Theological Seminary of Chicago. In 1950 I became assistant pastor at the
Tabernacle Baptist Church of Chicago, from which the Conservative Baptist
Movement was birthed. During that time, Dr. A.W. Tozer of a church on
Chicago's south side, preached a series of sermons on John 17 for his
congregation of some 500. Seldom have we heard such a depth of insight into
the High Priestly prayer of Jesus. *This* is truly the *Lord's Prayer*. The
prayer in Matthew 6:9-15, is really “The Disciples' Prayer”, which Jesus
gave to them in answer to their request.

 John the Baptist gave his disciples a model prayer pleasing to the Father.
Jesus did the same for His disciples. But John 17 is a prayer after the
order of Melchizedek (Psalm 110:4). It is a High Priestly Prayer! It is a
window into the relationship of Jesus the Son of Man and Son of God to His
heavenly Father. Perhaps there is no other chapter in the entire Bible that
reveals the relationship of the Father and His Son, and their heart for us
- the Redeemed from the lost race of Adam!

 Perhaps it would be proper and correct to say no more concerning this most
holy window of revelation in the heart of our Father and Savior.

 Our Psalm for the day - *90:11-12 (90:1-17) FROM EVERLASTING TO
EVERLASTING. “Who considers the power of your anger, and your wrath
according to the fear of you? 12 So teach us to number our days that we may
get a heart of wisdom” (ESV). *This is a good prayer by Moses for us in the
closing years of our lives. You have left us but a short time Father, and
we don't want to beat the air blindly before the return of Jesus. O please
answer this prayer for us. *Hallowed be your :name!*

 *FOR ARCHIVE ARTICLES - Web:http://2rbetter.org/pipermail/mailing/ *