John 15-16

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 09:26:15 PST 2011

November 18, 2011

 *(From JOHN #34 - 15:1-16)*

 *C. 15:1-16:33 RESULTS FROM THE SPIRIT’S COMING*

*3. 15:1-16 FRUIT: PURPOSE OF THE SPIRIT*

*a. 15:1 I am the true :vine, and my :Father is the husbandman.*

E-G*O* ei-mi h*e* AMpe-los [288] h*e* a-l*e*-thiN*E*, kai ho paT*E*R mou ho
ge-*o*rGOS [1092] es-tin.

 *b. 15:2 THE TWO-FOLD PURPOSE OF PRUNING*

*Every branch in me that bears not fruit, he takes it away:*

pan KL*E*ma en eMOI m*e* PHEron [5342] karPON [2590], AIrei [142] auTO:

*and every one that bears :fruit, he prunes it, that it bear more fruit.*

kai pan to karPON PHEron, kaTHAIrei [2538] auTO, HIna karPON PLEIo-na PHEr*e
*.

*c. 15:3 Already YOU are clean because of the word which I have spoken unto
you.*

*E*d*e* huMEIS ka-thaROI es-te diA ton LOgon [3056] hon leLAl*e*-ka huMIN.

 *d. 15:4a **Abide in me, and I in you. *MEIna-te [3306] en eMOI, ka’
’G*O*en huMIN.

 *e. 15:4b FRUITFULNESS: PURPOSE OF ABIDING*

*Even as the branch cannot bear fruit of itself,*

kaTH*O*S to KL*E*ma ou DUna-tai [1410] karPON PHErein aph’ he-auTOU,

*unless it abide in the vine; thus neither you, unless you abide in me.*

eAN m*e* MEn*e* en t*e* amPEl*o*; HOUt*o*s ouDE huMEIS, eAN m*e* en eMOI MEn
*e*-te.

 *f. 15:5 IMPOTENCY: RESULT OF NON-ABIDING*

*I am the vine, you **are** the branches: Who abides in me, and I in him,*

eG*O* ei-mi h*e* AMpe-los, huMEIS ta KL*E*ma-ta: ho MEn*o*n en eMOI, ka’ ’G*
O* en auT*O*,

*the same bears much fruit: for apart from me you can do nothing.*

HOUtos PHErei karPON poLUN: HOti ch*o*RIS [5565] eMOU ou DUnas-the
poiEIN [4160]
ouDEN.

 *g. 15:6 THE PENALTY FOR NOT ABIDING*

*Unless one abide in me, he is cast forth as the branch, and is withered;*

eAN m*e* tis MEn*e* en eMOI, e-BL*E*th*e* Ex*o* h*o*s to KL*E*ma, kai e-x*e*
RANth*e* [3583];

*and they gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.*

kai suNAgou-sin auTA, kai eis to pur [4442] BALlou-sin, kai KAIe-tai [2545].

 *h. 15:7 THE LIVING WORD: A CONDITION FOR ANSWERED PRAYER*

*If you abide in me, and my :words abide in you,*

E-AN MEIn*e*-te en eMOI, kai ta 'R*E*maTA [4487] mou en huMIN MEIn*e*,

*ask whatever you will, and it shall be done to you.*

ho eAN THEl*e*-te aiT*E*sas-the [154], kai geN*E*se-tai [1096] huMIN.

 *i. 15:8 FRUITFULNESS IN GOOD WORKS: GLORIFIES THE FATHER*

*Herein was my :Father glorified,*

en TOUt*o* e-doXASth*e* [1392] ho paT*E*R mou,

*that you bear much fruit, and become my disciples.*

HIna karPON poLUN PHEr*e*-te, kai geN*E*Sthe eMOI ma-th*e*TAI [3101].

 *j. 15:9 Even as the Father has loved me, I also have loved you: abide you
in :my :love.*

kaTH*O*S *e*GAp*e*SEN me ho paT*E*R, ka’ ’G*O* huMAS *e*GAp*e*-sa: MEIna-te
en t*e* aGAp*e* t*e* eM*E*.

 *k. 15:10 THE SECRET OF ABIDING IN LOVE*

*If you keep my :commandments, you shall abide in my :love;*

eAN tas en-toLAS [1785] mou t*e*R*E*s*e*-te [5083], meNEIte en t*e* aGAp*e*mou;

*even as I have kept the commandments of my :Father, and abide in his :love.
*

kaTH*O*S eG*O* tou paTROS tas en-toLAS teT*E*r*e*-ka, kai MEn*o* auTOU en t*
e* aGAp*e*.

 *l. 15:11 These things have I spoken to you, that :my :joy be in you, and
your :joy be made full.*

TAUta leLAl*e*-ka huMIN, HIna h*e* chaRA h*e* eM*E* en huMIN *e*, kai
h*e*chaRA huM
*O*N pl*e*-r*o*TH*E*.

*m. 15:12 This is my :commandment, that you love one another, even as I
have loved you.*

HAUt*e* es-TIN h*e* en-toL*E* h*e* eM*E*, HIna a-gaPAte alL*E*lous, kaTH*O*S
*e*GAp*e*-sa huMAS.

 *n. 15:13 THE ULTIMATE OF LOVE*

*Greater love has no one than this, *

MEIzo-na TAUt*e*s aGAp*e*n ouDEIS Echei,

*that a man lay down his :life for his :friends.*

HIna tis t*e*n psuCH*E*N auTOU th*e* huPER t*o*n PHIl*o*n auTOU.

*o. 15:14 YOU are my friends, if you do what I command you.*

huMEIS PHIloi mou esTE, eAN poi*E*te ho eG*O* enTELlo-mai [1781] huMIN.

 *p. 15:15 CHRIST’S FOLLOWERS: HIS FRIENDS*

*I call you no longer bondmen; for the bondman knows not what his :lord
does:*

ouKEti LEg*o* huMAS DOUlous [1401]; HOti ho DOUlos ouk OIden ti poiEI auTOU
ho KUri-os:

*but you I have called friends; because all **things*

huMAS de EIr*e*-ka PHIlous; HOti PANta

*that I heard from my :Father I have made known to you.*

a *E*kou-sa paRA tou paTROS mou egN*O*ri-sa [1607] huMIN.

 *q. 15:16 THE DOCTRINE OF ELECTION EXPLAINED*

*You did not choose me, but I chose you,*

ouch huMEIS me e-xeLExas-the [1585] all’ eG*O* e-xe-leXAm*e*n huMAS,

*and appointed you, that you go and bear fruit,*

kai Eth*e*-ka [5087] huMAS, HIna huMEIS huPAg*e*-te kai karPON PHEr*e*-te,

*and that your :fruit abide:*

kai ho karPOS huM*O*N MEn*e*:

*that whatever you shall ask of the Father in my :name, he give you. *

HIna HOti an aiT*E*s*e*-te [154] ton paTEra en t*o* oNOmaTI [3686]
mou, d*o*huMIN.

 *NOTE:* 12 Embryonic Revival Principles came together in 1948 as
Restoration Truths – 7 of them through George R. Hawtin. God started to
form them in his life in a specific manner in 1935 in Star City,
Saskatchewan. One of them is in our text – John 15:5b – “For apart from Me
you can do nothing!”

 In 1945 God sovereignly led me following my Navy discharge to Bethel Bible
Institute of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, founded by George R. Hawtin. Often
Brother Hawtin led the Chapel worship in the morning. One of his favorite
choruses was –

*Without You – we can do nothing;*

*Without You – we’d surely fail;*

*Without You – we’d only be drifting –*

*Like a boat without a sail.*

 This was the heart of Brother Hawtin, and like King David of old, he
desired to walk in an abiding relationship with Jesus. Did David walk
perfectly in this relationship? No – and neither did George Hawtin or any
other human being.

 J. Hudson Taylor, founder of the China Inland Mission and close friend of
George Muller – was another who treasured the truth of this verse. But it
didn’t happen until 20 years after he started walking with the Lord. Then
one day he was ascending the Yangtze River on a Chinese Junk. And as he sat
on the deck watching the passing mountains – without warning the Lord
dropped into his heart the absolute truth of John 15:1-16. Mrs. Howard
Taylor wrote “Hudson Taylor’s Spiritual Secret” on the basis of this
revelation. Scarce a letter he wrote following this revelation, but he did
not challenge his readers to receive and walk in the truth of us as
branches – effortlessly bearing fruit by abiding in the Vine! Following
this revelation, he saw the Lord through him accomplish 2-3 times the
fruitfulness of the past through him, with but one half the effort on his
part.

 And finally, John 15:16 is probably the key verse to this passage. Dr. E.
Stanley Jones released God to move through him each time he preached – on
the basis of the truth of this verse. It is *not us* – but *Jesus* who
initiates His plan through us – and uses us. And our abiding fruitfulness
is because of *Him*, not us. Oswald Chambers effectively and powerfully
sets forth this truth in his writings.

 For me then – *this passage* shines forth as a powerful example of how
Jesus releases the Holy Spirit through us to accomplish His Father’s
purposes and to let His Glory shine forth. J.A.Watt

 *FOR ARCHIVE ARTICLES - Web:http://2rbetter.org/pipermail/mailing/ *