Numbers 26-27

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 09:03:09 PDT 2011

October 31, 2011

*MAR 18 - NUMBERS 26-27 - THE NEW NUMBERING*

 *1. 26:10 (26:1-51) NEW GENERATION NUMBERED. “And the earth opened its
mouth and swallowed them up together with Korah, when that company died,
when the fire devoured 250 men, and they became a warning” (ESV). **
Murmuring* and *Rebellion*: Sins that cannot be tolerated! *Your
judgment*Father: a
*sign* of Your displeasure! Sovereign Lord, Reign in us Your way! *Hallowed
be your :name.*

 *2. 26:55-56 (26:52-56) DIVISION OF THE LAND. “But the land shall be
divided by lot. According to the names of the tribes of their fathers they
shall inherit. 56 Their inheritance shall be divided according to lot
between the larger and the smaller.” *By Urim and Thummim shall all
contentions cease, Father. Through the lot shall decisions be made. Yes, we
submit. *Your :kingdom come.*

 *3. 26:61 (26:57-62) LEVITES NUMBERED. “But Nadab and Abihu died when they
offered unauthorized fire before the LORD.” *With You Father, is no respect
of persons. You are not a man that You should lie. You set forth Your word
with its blessings and penalties, and violation brings forth the
appropriate penalty. We bless You for Your righteousness and faithfulness
in this. *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 26:64-65 (26:63-65) NONE LEFT OF FORMER NUMBERING. “But among these
there was not one of those listed by Moses and Aaron the priest, who had
listed the people of Israel in the wilderness of Sinai. 66 For the LORD had
said of them, 'They shall die in the wilderness.' Not one of them was left,
except Caleb the son of Jephunneh and Joshua the son of Nun.” *O forgive us
Father, for not taking You seriously when You speak Your Word! *Our :daily
:bread Give us this day.*

 *5. 27:6-7 (27:1-11) DAUGHTERS OF ZELOPHEHAD. And the LORD said to
Moses, 7“The daughters of Zelophehad are right. You shall give them
possession of
an inheritance among their father's brothers and transfer the inheritance
of their father to them.” *How fair You are Father, in *all* things! We
bless You for what You are and Who You are. You are altogether righteous,
just and fair! *And forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven our
:debtors.*

 *6. 27:12-13 (27:12-14) MOSES PREPARES FOR DEATH. The LORD said to Moses,
“Go up into this mountain of Abarim and see the land that I have given to
the people of Israel. 13 When you have seen it, you shall be gathered to
your people, as your brother Aaron was.” *How awesome and fearful is this
word; yet it is righteous and just altogether. When we walk with You
Father, in the light of Your word, we know that *all* you do on our behalf
will be just and true. *And bring us not into temptation.*

 *7. 27:16-17 (27:15-23) JOSHUA: MOSES' SUCCESSOR. “Let the LORD, the God
of the spirits of all flesh, appoint a man over the congregation 17 who
shall go out before them and come in before them, who shall lead them out
and bring them in, that the congregation of the LORD may not be as sheep
that have no shepherd.” *This was Your doing Father, by the hand of Moses! *But
deliver us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: 27:18 (27:15-23) THE LORD APPOINTS JOSHUA AS MOSES' SUCCESSOR. So
the LORD said to Moses, “Take Joshua the son of Nun, a man in whom is the
Spirit, and lay your hand on him.” *Moses did all that You Father,
commanded him. He set for JESUS: Joshua, Jehovah the Savior; *Joshua*: a
fitting type of Your Son to come!

 Probably few who have read this book have not noted and been impressed
that both the beginning and end numbering of Israel during these 40 years -
both came our so remarkably even. What is God saying? Can we hear its
significance?

 I like the seventh section of 27:15-23 where God is called the God of the *
spirits* of *all* flesh. It matters not our color or racial origins. We are
*all* of Adam - and right down to 2011 when we are told that the world's
population will number 7 billion - yet - every individual from Adam to the
present - we are *all* of one spirit; and *all* of one blood! In heaven we
will *know* the full truth of this revelation. O that we might *receive*and
*act upon* that truth today!

 In 26:1-51 we are reminded of the seriousness of the sin of Korah - and
how God especially made such a lesson of it, that mankind of all races
should never forget this lesson! Korah was a Levite who wanted the priestly
office of Moses and Aaron. We *must* learn that *God* appoints us to our
ministry, gifts and calling. We are to *bloom* where we are planted. We are
*not* to lust after the calling of others! *God* is the Potter who makes us
thus - *we* are the clay who *must* yield to His plan and desire. It was
not Moses and Aaron that Korah actually challenged - it was *God*! And when
a believer of the church is persecuted - it is *really* Christ the Head who
is persecuted! How is it that so often there are those who misunderstand
this - and force themselves in a position of disobedience and rebellion?
The earth consuming Korah and his 250 alive - is but a type of hell - to
alert all those of like spirit of the dangerous trail they tread!

 “Oh - but *God* is a God of love!” some would say, “and would never do
such a thing! And anyway - that is the OT, and not the days of the New.”
Then let such read the book of the Revelation of Jesus Christ to see Him as
the Judge at work! Or - let them remember that in the Gospels - Jesus spoke
*more* of hell than heaven; and spoke likewise of hell more than any other
New Testament writer!

 Many more lessons in this passage that await us as readers to search out
for ourselves!

 And finally - our Psalm for the day - *78:38-39 (78:1-72) TELL THE COMING
GENERATION! “Yet he, being compassionate, atoned for their iniquity and did
not destroy them; he restrained his anger often and did not stir up all his
wrath. **39** He remembered that they were but flesh, a wind that passes
and comes not again.” *O Father, how great are Your mercies and covenant
love unto Your people. *Hallowed be your :name!*

 *FOR ARCHIVE ARTICLES - Web:http://2rbetter.org/pipermail/mailing/ *