John 11:17-53

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 09:57:47 PDT 2011

September 30, 2011

 *(From: JOHN #26 - 11:17-53)*

 *2. 11:17-44 RELATION OF INDIGNATION TO RESURRECTION*

*a. 11:17 :Jesus therefore came and found that he had been in the tomb four
days already.*

El-TH*O*N oun ho I*e*SOUS HEUren auTON TESsaras *E*d*e* h*e*MEras Echon-ta
en t*o* mn*e*MEI*o* [3419].

 *b. 11:18-19 THE STATE OF BETHANY*

*Now Bethany was nigh to :Jerusalem, about fifteen furlongs off;*

*e*n de B*e*-thaNIa egGUS t*o*n Ie-ro-soLUm*o*n, h*o*s aPO staDI*o*n
[4712]DEka PENte;

*19 and many of the Jews had come to :Martha and Mariam,*

polLOI de ek t*o*n IouDAI*o*n e-l*e*LUthei-san pros t*e*n MARthan kai
Ma-riAM,

*to console them concerning their brother.*

HIna pa-ra-muTH*E*s*o*n-tai [3888] auTAS peRI tou a-delPHOU.

 *c. 11:20 MARTHA MEETS JESUS FIRST*

*:Martha therefore, when she heard that Jesus was coming,*

h*e* oun MARtha, h*o*s *E*kou-sin HOti ho I*e*SOUS ERche-tai,

*met him: but Mariam still sat in the house.*

huP*E*Nt*e*-sen auT*O*: Ma-riAM de en t*o* OIk*o* e-kaTHEze-to.

 *d. 11:21 :Martha therefore said unto Jesus, Lord, if you had been here, my
:brother had not died.*

EIpen oun h*e* MARtha pros I*e*SOUN, KUri-e, ei *e*s H*O*de, ouk an
aPEtha-nen ho a-delPHOS mou.

 *e. 11:22 And now I know that, whatever you shall ask of :God, :God will
give you.*

kai nun OIda HOti, HOsa an aiT*E*s*e* ton TheON, D*O*sei soi ho TheOS.

 *f. 11:23 :Jesus said to her, Your :brother shall rise again.*

LEgei auT*E* ho I*e*SOUS, A-naST*E*se-tai [450] ho a-delPHOS sou.

 *g. 11:24 :Martha said to him, I know that he shall rise again in the
resurrection at the last day.*

LEgei auT*O* h*e* MARtha, OIda HOti a-naST*E*se-tai en t*e* a-naSTAsei [386],
en t*e* esCHAt*e* h*e*MEra.

 *h. 11:25-26a CHRIST - THE RESURRECTION AND THE LIFE*

*:Jesus said to her, I am the resurrection, and the life:*

EIpen auT*E* ho I*e*SOUS, E-G*O* ei-mi h*e* aNAsta-sis, kai h*e* z*o*-*E*
[2222]:

*who believes unto me shall live, even if he die; 26a and every one*

ho piSTEU*o*n eis eME, ka' 'n a-poTHAn*e* Z*E*se-tai [2198]; kai pas

*who lives and believes unto me shall nowise die unto the age.*

ho z*o*n kai PiSTEU*o*n eis eME ou m*e* a-poTHAn*e* [599] eis ton ai*O*na.

 *i. 11:26b **Do you believe this? *piSTEUeis TOUto?

 *j. 11:27 MARTHA EXPRESSES HER FAITH IN CHRIST*

*She said to him, Yes, Lord: I have believed that you are the Christ,*

LEgei auT*O*, Nai, KUri-e: eG*O* pePIsteu-ka HOti su ei ho ChrisTOS,

*the Son of :God, even he that comes into the world.*

ho huiOS tou TheOU, ho eis ton KOSmon erCHOme-nos.

 *k. 11:28 MARTHA GOES FOR MARY*

*And when she had said this, she went away,*

kai TOUto eiPOUsa, aP*E*Lthen,

*and called Mariam her :sister secretly saying,*

kai ePH*O*n*e*-sen Ma-riAM t*e*n a-delPH*E*N auT*E*S LAthra EIpa-sa,

*The Teacher is here, and calls you.*

Ho diDAska-los PAre-stin, kai ph*o*NEI se.

 *l. 11:29 And SHE, when she heard it, arose quickly, and went unto him.*

eKEIn*e* de, h*o*s *E*kou-sen, *e*GERth*e* taCHU [5035], kai *E*Rche-to pros
auTON.

 *m. 11:30 JESUS APPROACHES BETHANY*

*(Now :Jesus was not yet come into the village,*

(OUp*o* de e-l*e*LUthei ho I*e*SOUS eis t*e*n K*O*m*e*n,

*and was still in the place where :Martha met him.)*

all' *e*n Eti en t*o* TOp*o* HOpou huP*E*Nt*e*-sen auT*O* h*e* MARtha.)

 *n. 11:31 THE JEWS FOLLOW MARY*

*The Jews then who were with her in the house, and consoling her,*

hoi oun IouDAIoi hoi ONtes met' auT*E*S en t*e* oiKIa, kai
pa-ra-muTHOUme-noi [3888] auT*E*N,

*when they saw :Mariam that she rose up quickly and went out,*

Idon-tes t*e*n Ma-riAM HOti taCHE*o*s aNESt*e* kai eX*E*Lthen,

*followed her, supposing that she was going unto the tomb to wail there.*

*e*-koLOUth*e*-san [190] auT*E*, DOxan-tes HOti huPAgei eis to mn*e*MEIon
HIna KLAUs*e* [2799] eKEI.

 *o. 11:32 MARY SHARES HER DISAPPOINTMENT IN THE DELAY OF JESUS*

*:Mariam therefore, when she came where Jesus was,*

h*e* oun MaRIam, h*o*s *E*Lthen HOpou *e*n I*e*SOUS,

*and** saw him, fell down at his :feet, saying to him, Lord,*

iDOUsa auTON, Epe-sen auTOU pros tous POdas, LEgou-sa auT*O*, KUri-e,

*if you had been here, my :brother had not died.*

ei h*e*s H*O*de, ouk AN mou aPEtha-nen ho a-delPHOS.

 *p. 11:33-34a THIS TROUBLES JESUS*

*When Jesus therefore saw her wailing,*

I*e*SOUS oun h*o*s EIden auT*E*N KLAIou-san,

*and the Jews also wailing who came with her,*

kai tous su-nelTHONtas auT*E* IouDAIous KLAIon-tas,

*he was indignant in spirit and troubled himself, 34a and said, *

a-ne-briM*E*sa-to [1690] t*o* PNEUma-ti kai eTAra-xen [5015] he-auTON, kai
EIpen,

*Where have you laid him?*

Pou teTHEIka-te auTON?

 *q. 11: 34b They say to him, Lord, come and see.*

LEgou-sin auT*O*, KUri-e, ERchou kai Ide.

 *r. 11:35 **:Jesus wept. *eDAkru-sen [1145] ho I*e*SOUS.

 *s. 11:36 The Jews therefore said, See how he loved him!*

Ele-gon oun hoi IouDAIoi, Ide p*o*s ePHIlei [5318] auTON!

 *t. 11:37 THE JEWS ALSO QUESTION THE ACTION OF JESUS*

*But some of them said, Could not this man, who opened the eyes of the blind
man,*

tiNES de ex auT*O*N EIpan, Ouk eDUna-to HOUtos, ho aNOIxas tous oph-thalMOUS
tou tuphLOU,

*have done so that this man also should not die?*

poi*E*sai HIna kai HOUtos m*e* a-poTHAn*e*?

 *u. 11:38a Jesus therefore again indignant within himself came to the tomb.
*

I*e*SOUS oun PAlin em-briM*O*me-nos [1690] en he-auT*O* ERche-tai eis to mn*
e*MEIon.

 *v. 11:38b Now it was a cave, and a stone lay against it.*

*e*n de SP*E*lai-on [4693], kai LIthos ePEkei-to ep' auT*O*.

 *w. 11:39a :Jesus said, Take you away the stone.*

LEgei ho I*e*SOUS, Ara-te [142] ton LIthon [3037].

 *x. 11:39b THIS COMMAND OF JESUS TROUBLES MARTHA*

*Martha, the sister of the dead man, said to him, *

LEgei auT*O* h*e* a-delPH*E* tou te-te-leu-t*e*KOtos [2348], MARtha,

*Lord, he already stinks, for he is dead four days.*

KUri-e, *E*d*e* Ozei [3605], te-tarTAIos GAR es-tin.

 *y. 11:40 JESUS QUESTIONS MARTHA *

*:Jesus said to her, Did I not say to you, *

LEgei auT*E* ho I*e*SOUS, Ouk EIpon soi,

*that if you believe, you should see the glory of :God?*

HOti eAN piSTEUs*e*s, Ops*e* t*e*n DOxan [1391] tou TheOU?

 *z. 11:41a **They took away therefore the stone. **E*ran oun ton LIthon.

 *aa. 11:41b THE PRAYER OF JESUS*

*And :Jesus lifted up his :eyes, and said, *

ho de I*e*SOUS *E*ren tous oph-thalMOUS An*o*, kai EIpen,

*Father, I thank you that you heard me.*

PAter, eu-cha-riST*O* [2168] soi HOti *E*kouSAS mou.

 *bb. 11:42 HIS CONFIDENCE IN HIS FATHER*

*And I knew that you hear me always: but because of the crowd that stands
around I said it,*

eG*O* de *E*dein HOti PANtoTE mou aKOUeis: alLA diA ton OCHlon ton pe-ri-eST
*O*ta [4026] EIpon,

*that they may believe that you did send me.*

HIna piSTEUs*o*-sin HOti SU me aPEstei-las [649].

 *cc. 11:43 And when he had thus spoken, he cried with a loud voice,
Lazarus, come forth.*

kai TAUta eiP*O*N, ph*o*N*E* meGAl*e* [3173] eKRAUga-sen [2905], LAza-re,
DEUro Ex*o*.

 *dd. 11:44a THE UNUSUAL RESURRECTION*

*The dead man came forth, bound :hand and :foot with grave-clothes;*

eX*E*Lthen ho teth-n*e*K*O*S [2348], de-deMEnos [1210] tous POdas kai tas
CHEIras keiRIais [2750];

*and his :face was bound about with a napkin.*

kai h*e* Opsis [3799] auTOU sou-daRI*o* [4676] pe-ri-eDEde-to [4019].

 *ee. 11:44b :Jesus said to them, Loose him, and let him go.*

LEgei auTOIS ho I*e*SOUS, LUsa-te [3089] auTON, kai Aphe-te [863] auTON
huPAgein [5217].

 *3. 11:45-46 DIVISION AGAIN*

*a. 11:45 BELIEF OF MANY JEWS: RESULT OF THIS RESURRECION*

*Many therefore of the Jews, who came unto :Mariam*

PolLOI oun ek t*o*n IouDAI*o*n, hoi elTHONtes pros t*e*n Ma-riAM

*and beheld what he did, believed unto him.*

kai the-aSAme-noi ho ePOI*e*-sen, ePIsteu-san eis auTOU.

 *b. 11:46 REPORT TO THE PHARISEES*

*But some of them went away unto the Pharisees, *

tiNES de ex auT*O*N aP*E*Lthon pros tous Pha-riSAIous,

*and told them what things Jesus had done.*

 kai EIpan auTOIS ha ePOI*e*-sen ho I*e*SOUS.

 *4. 11:47-53 DIE IS CAST: DEATH FOR JESUS IS SURE*

*a. 11:47 THE SANHEDRIN SEEKS A RESPONSE*

*The chief priests therefore and the Pharisees*

SuN*E*ga-gon [4863] oun hoi ar-chi-eREIS [749] kai hoi Pha-riSAIoi [5330]

*gathered a Sanhedrin, and said, What do we? because this :man does many
signs.*

suNEdri-on [4892], kai Ele-gon, Ti poiOUmen? HOti HOUtos ho ANthr*o*-pos
polLA poiEI s*e*MEIa.

 *b. 11:48 THEIR CONCERN IF JESUS IS NOT STOPPED*

*If we let him thus alone, all will believe on him:*

eAN aPH*O*men auTON HOUt*o*s, PANtes piSTEUsou-sin eis auTON:

*and the Romans will come and take away both our :place and :nation.*

kai eLEUson-tai hoi 'R*o*MAIoi [4514] kai aROUsin [142] h*e*M*O*N kai ton
TOpon kai to ETHnos.

 *c. 11:49-50 THE PROPHECY OF CAIAPHAS*

*But a certain one of them, Caiaphas, being high priest of that :year,*

heis DE tis ex auT*O*N, KaiAphas, ar-chi-eREUS [749] *o*n tou e-ni-anTOU
[1763] eKEInou,

*said to them, YOU know nothing at all, 50 nor consider*

EIpen auTOIS, HuMEIS ouk OIda-te ouDEN, ouDE loGIzes-the

*that it is expedient for you that one man should die for the people,*

HOti sumPHErei huMIN HIna heis ANthr*o*-pos a-poTHAn*e* huPER tou laOU,

*and the whole nation perish not.*

kai m*e* HOlon to ETHnos aPOl*e*-tai [822].

 *d. 11:51-52 THE PROPHETIC COUNSEL OF CAIAPHAS*

*Now this he said not of himself: but being high priest of that :year,*

TOUto de aph' he-auTOUouk EIpen: alLA ar-chi-eREUS *o*n tou e-ni-auTOU
eKEInou,

*he prophesied that Jesus should die for the nation;*

e-proPH*E*teu-sen [4395] HOti Emel-len [3195] I*e*SOUS a-poTHN*E*skein huPER
tou ETHnous;

*52 and not for the nation only, but that he might also gather*

kai ouch huPER tou ETHnous MOnon, all' HIna kai ta TEKna [5043]

*into one the children of :God that are scattered abroad.*

tou TheOU ta di-e-skor-pisMEna [1287] su-naGAg*e* [4863] eis hen.

 *e. 11:53 From that :day on therefore they took counsel to kill him.*

Ap' eKEIn*e*s oun t*e*s h*e*MEras e-bouLEUsan-to [4823] HIna a-pokTEIn*o*-sin
[615] auTON.

 *NOTE**: *In one sense, it is scarcely necessary to write a *NOTE*. The
Reason is - that the “outline” inserted into the Interlinear text is almost
self-explanatory. The idea for these outlines came to me first in 1945,
after I ordered and received the 20 books or so either “by” or “on” Ivan
Panin. When I read his introduction to his Greek Bible Numeric text, I found
that Bible Numerics not only establishes what was the “original” Greek Text
from among 7 quite complete NT Greek Manuscript copies, plus thousands of
fragments - but also it establishes what are *true* sentences,
sub-divisions, paragraphs and sections (chapter equivalents). I like to
summarize, and thought - What if I summarize each sentence; gather these
summaries into the sub-divisions; the sub-divisions into paragraphs; the
paragraphs into section, and the sections into Books - What would I
discover? What might be for me the first of the 27 NT books to put to this
test? Why not Ephesians?

 I was so amazed at the result, that I was “hooked”. I typed up the entire
Numeric English NT, and hand-wrote the complete Greek text underneath clause
by clause. Then I summarized the entire NT.

I used Roman Numerals - for the Sections, or chapter equivalents.

Capital Letters - for Paragraphs

Arabic numbers - for Sub-divisions

Lower Case letters for Sentences

 This produced an *entirely different flavor* for each book of the NT! Check
this out with the section above. It does *not* follow the regular Chapter
and Verse division as found in our King James and other translations.

 To confirm the *great importance* of this discovery by Panin through Bible
Numerics - I received help in University summaries in 1946 through Jock
Davidson, a fellow student at St. Andrews College of Saskatoon,
Saskatchewan. He was amused at my “grousing” because I wasn't receiving the
grades in University subjects I felt I was capable of. He offered: “Come up
to my room, give me an hour of your time - and I'll show you how to lift all
your present grades by a full point. If you have a “C” - it will become a
“B”; if a “B” - an “A”; if an “A”, and “A+”. I could scarcely believe him,
but I thought, “I can afford an hour to give it a trial.”

 “First of all”, he said, “when you take notes on class subjects, leave the
upper ¼ of the right hand page blank. At the end of the day, summarize the
left and right page into that corner. Two weeks before the exam, summarize
the summary, and memorize it.

 “When the exam comes up, and it says, Choose any 5 of the following 7
question, and answer fully in essay type answer, *Don't* start answering
immediately. Instead, *outline* each of the 5 question you choose, leaving a
space for the fuller answer later on. When all 5 are summarized, then go
back to question one and start answering in essay style. If you don't finish
this stage, not to worry. The professor will see by your summaries and the
two or three answers you complete, that you know what you are doing. He'll
be so glad that he doesn't have to read all 5 short essays, that he'll in
gratitude give you an “A”!

 “Summarize text books in the same manner as the lecture notes.

 “For term papers, make a careful outline of the development you plan to
use. Then write it up according to the outline at the top.”

 Then he said “Of course, I myself don't follow this plan rigidly.” His
room-mate piped up, “O yes he does! He's like a slave to the above!”

 I followed Jock's above 4 suggestions, won 3 scholarship the next semester,
and graduated “cum laude” (with honor). I could hardly believe it! I have
taught over 1000 students the above, and many of them can testify of similar
results.

 “But” - and this is a *big* but - when you carefully follow Panin's Bible
Numerics method of outlining the 27 books of the NT - you will be awarded by
God a “summa cum laude” - a graduation *with* *great* *honor*! Then you
won't need a *NOTE* to give understanding of difficult passages. This
Outline Method of summarizing the 27 NT Books - will be its own reward!

 As you can see, I leave a space above my summaries. By all means cross out
any of mine that don't sit well with you, and substitute them with your own!
You will never be the same again. We together will start to think God's
thoughts after Him, and indeed enter into the mind of Christ. Especially
when we take God's challenge to Joshua in 1:8, and read *aloud* these
sentences and summaries, and meditate over them - even kneeling before God
as we do so. George Muller did this. George Whitefield too. I do also.

 Blessings on you as you take this challenge. May we *all* end up in God's
sight “summa cum laude” - graduates with *great* Honor! - J.A.Watt

*PS.  If you have High School or College age students - the NOTE at the foot
of this Outlined Interlinear Greek NT Section - could be a means of helping
them lift their grades considerably! I have taught some 1000 Bible College
Students this method, and have seen many of them so lift their grades!  Also
- you will note the reversal of Dr. Ivan Panin's Greek and English texts -
to make for easier reading and study.  J.*

 *FOR ARCHIVE ARTICLES - Web:http://2rbetter.org/pipermail/mailing/ *