John 1:35-51

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 19:36:48 PDT 2011

September 28, 2011

 *(From JOHN #3 - 1:35-51)*

 *C. 1:35-51 JESUS MIRACULOUSLY CALLS DISCIPLES*

*1. 1:35-42 JESUS' FIRST DISCIPLES COME FROM JOHN*

*a. 1:35-36 JOHN INTRODUCES JESUS AS THE LAMB OF GOD*

*Again on the morrow John was standing, and two of his disciples;*

T*e* ePAUri-on PAlin hiST*E*kei I*o*An*e*s, kai ek t*o*n ma-th*e*T*O*N auTOU
DUo;

*36 and he looked upon :Jesus as he walked, and said, See, the Lamb of :God!
*

kai emBLEpsas t*o* I*e*SOU pe-ri-paTOUNti, LEgei, Ide, ho amNOS [286] tou
TheOU!

 *b. 1:37 And the two :disciples heard him speak and followed :Jesus.*

kai *E*kou-san hoi DUo ma-th*e*TAI auTOU laLOUNtos kai *e*-koLOUth*e*-san t*
o* I*e*SOU.

 *c. 1:38a JESUS QUESTIONS THEM*

*And :Jesus turned, and saw them following, and said to them, *

straPHEIS de ho I*e*SOUS, kai the-aSAme-nos [2300] auTOUS a-ko-louTHOUNtas,
LEgei auTOIS,

*What do you seek?*

Ti z*e*TEIte?

 *d. 1:38b And they said to him, Rabbi (which is to say, interpreted, Teacher),
where do you stay?*

hoi de EIpan auTO, 'RabBEI, (ho LEge-tai, me-ther-me-neuOme-non,
DiDAska-le), pou MEneis?

 *e. 1:39a He said to them, Come, and you shall see.*

LEgei auTOIS, ERches-the, kai Opses-the [3700].

 *f. 1:39b THEY VISIT WITH HIM THERE FOR THE DAY*

*They came therefore and saw where he stayed;*

*E*Lthan oun kai EIdan pou MEnei;

*and they stayed with him that :day: the hour was about the tenth.*

kai par' auT*O* Emei-nan t*e*n h*e*MEran eKEIn*e*n: H*O*ra *e*n h*o*s deKAt*
e*.

 *g. 1:40 ANDREW, SIMON PETER'S BROTHER, WAS ONE OF THEM*

*One of the two that heard it from John and followed him,*

*e*n AnDREas, ho a-delPHOS SIm*o*-nos PEtrou, heis ek t*o*n DUo

*was Andrew, the brother of Simon Peter.*

t*o*n a-kouSANt*o*n paRA I*o*Anou kai a-ko-lou-th*e*SANt*o*n auT*O*.

 *h. 1:41 ANDREW REPORTS TO PETER THEIR FIND*

*HE found first his :own :brother Simon, and said to him,*

heuRIskei HOUtos PR*O*ton ton a-delPHON ton Idi-on SIm*o*-na, kai LEgei auT*
O*,

*We have found the Messiah (which is, interpreted, Christ).*

HeuR*E*ka-men ton MesSIan [3323] (HO es-tin, me-ther-m*e*-neuOme-non,
ChrisTOS [5547]).

 *i. 1:42a **He brought him unto :Jesus. *Ega-gen auTON pros ton IeSOUN.

 *j. 1:42b JESUS SURNAMES SIMON*

*:Jesus looked at him, and said, You are Simon the son of John:*

emBLEpsas auT*O* ho I*e*SOUS, EIpen, Su ei SIm*o*n ho huiOS I*o*Anou:

*you shall be called Cephas (which is, by interpretation, Peter).*

su kl*e*TH*E*s*e* [2563] K*e*PHAS [2786] (ho er-m*e*NEUe-tai, PEtros [4074]
).

 *2. 1:43-51 PHILIP AND NATHANAEL CALLED*

*a. 1:43 JESUS CALLS PHILIP*

*On the morrow he wished to go forth into :Galilee,*

T*e* ePAUri-on *e*THEl*e*-sen e-xelTHEIN eis t*e*n Ga-liLAIan,

*and he found Philip: and :Jesus said to him, Follow me.*

kai heuRIskei PHIlip-pon: kai LEgei auT*O* ho I*e*SOUS, A-koLOUthei [190]moi.

 *b. 1:44 Now :Philip was from Bethsaida, of the city of Andrew and Peter.*

*e*n de ho PHIlip-pos aPO B*e*th-saiDA, ek t*e*s POle-*o*s AnDREou kai
PEtrou.

 *c. 1:45 SIGHT OF JESUS: A SOURCE OF JOY*

*Philip found :Nathanael, and said to him,*

heuRIskei PHIlip-pos ton Na-tha-na*E*L, kai LEgei auT*O*,

*We have found him, of whom wrote Moses in the law,*

Hon Egra-psen M*o*-*e*S*E*S en t*o* NOm*o*, kai hoi proPH*E*tai,

*and the prophets, Jesus the one of Nazareth, son of :Joseph.*

heuR*E*ka-men, I*e*SOUN huiON tou I*o*S*E*PH, ton aPO Na-zaRET.

 *d. 1:46a And Nathanael said to him, Can anything good come out of
Nazareth?*

kai EIpen auT*O* Na-tha-na*E*L, Ek Na-zaRET DUnaTAI ti a-gaTHON EInai?

 *e. 1:46b **:Philip said to him, Come and see. *LEgei auT*O* ho PHIlip-pos,
ERchou kai Ide.

 *f. 1:47 AN ISRAELITE INDEED*

*Jesus saw Nathanael coming unto him, and said of him,*

EIden I*e*SOUS ton Na-tha-na*E*L erCHOme-non pros auTON, kai LEgei peRI
auTOU,

*See, an Israelite indeed, in whom is no guile!*

Ide, a-l*e*TH*O*S [230] Is-ra-*e*LEIt*e*s [2475], en h*o* DOlos [1388] ouk
EStin!

 *g. 1:48a Nathanael said to him, From where do you know me?*

LEgei auT*O* Na-tha-na*E*L, POthen me giN*O*skeis?

 *h. 1:48b JESUS REVEALS TO NATHANAEL HIS OMNISCIENCE*

*Jesus answered and said to him, Before Philip called you,*

a-peKRIth*e* I*e*SOUS kai EIpen auT*O*, Pro TOU se PHIlip-pon ph*o*N*E*sai,

*when you were under the fig tree* [4808]*, I saw you.*

ONta huPO t*e*n suK*E*N, EI-DON se.

 *i. 1:49 Nathanael answered him, Rabbi, YOU are the Son of :God; YOU are
King of :Israel.*

a-peKRIth*e* auT*O* Na-tha-na*E*L, 'RabBEI, su ei ho huiOS tou TheOU; su
ba-siLEUS ei tou Is-ra*E*L.

 *j. 1:50 JESUS FORETELLS YET GREATER REVELATION*

*:Jesus answered and said to him, Because I said to you that I saw you
underneath the fig tree,*

a-peKRIth*e* I*e*SOUS kai EIpen auT*O*, HOti EI-PON soi HOti eiDON se
hu-poKAt*o* t*e*s suK*E*S,

*do you believe? you shall see greater things than these.*

piSTEUeis? MEIz*o* [3187] TOUt*o*n Ops*e*.

 *k. 1:51 JESUS DETAILS ANGELIC REVELATION*

*And he said to him, Amen, Amen, I say unto you,*

kai LEgei auT*O*, A-M*E*N, aM*E*N, LEg*o* huMIN,

*You shall see the heaven opened, and the angels of :God*

Opses-the ton ou-raNON a-ne-*o*GOta [455], kai tous anGElous [32] tou TheOU

*ascending and descending upon the Son of :man.*

a-naBAInon-tas [305] kai ka-taBAInon-tas [2597] ePI ton huiON tou anTHR*O*
pou.

 *NOTE**:** * 1:35-42. Again, see the marvelous spirit of John. When he
pointed out to two of his disciples who Jesus really was, he foreknew the
strong possibility that they would leave *him*, and follow *Jesus* to become
His disciples. That is generally speaking *not* the spirit of Christian
leaders today. There is always the fear that the members and attendees we
have may be attracted by another - to leave and join this other. But John
knew the will of God for himself and for Jesus, and he *gladly* submitted to
this will.

 And did this very thing happen? Yes - Andrew as one of the two - indeed
left John, and immediately did his part in adding to the disciples of Jesus
by inviting his brother Simon to meet Him.

 Notice the working of revelation and the word of knowledge through Jesus in
giving Simon the surname Peter. Jesus saw the potential character
development of Peter after three years, and how he would become apostle of
the circumcision, just as He was to call Paul as apostle of the
uncircumcision (Gentiles).

 1:43-51. In this subdivision Jesus calls Philip from the Galilee area to be
one of His disciples. And then immediately Philip finds Nathanael, and like
Andrew did for his brother, Philip invites Nathanael to come and meet Jesus,
who Philip believed was the One Moses prophesied was to come as the New
Covenant!

 But Nazareth had the reputation of being worthless, just as some of our
cities do today. Yet Philip in wisdom merely repeated his invitation - “Come
and see!” - Find out for yourself. The woman of Samaria later on did the
same thing for her fellow-villagers at Sychar.

 Today, Jesus is not on earth - but His Spirit, the Holy Spirit - is in us;
and through Him people can be introduced to Jesus. We can be just like
Andrew and Philip, and be so convinced of the wonder and reality of Jesus,
that we too can effectively introduce Him to many.

 Personal, passionate devotion to Jesus on our part, is the necessary
ingredient to introduce others to Him. Normally, new converts and true
disciples are so in love with Jesus, that they quickly introduce family and
friends to this wonderful new Friend! Unfortunately, we then become like the
church of Ephesus (Revelation 2), and *lose* that *first love*. O, may we
then immediately seek Him in repentance and fasting and prayer, until that
first love is completely renewed. Then this portion of scripture above can
remain a reality in each one of our lives till our Home-call - or - His
coming again. J.A.Watt

*PS.  Want to be a witness?  Be enough in love with Jesus, and you'll find
yourself sharing Him without being aware of it! J.*

 *FOR ARCHIVE ARTICLES - Web:http://2rbetter.org/pipermail/mailing/ *