Luke 14

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 17:09:18 PDT 2011

September 21, 2011

 *MAR 6 - LUKE 14 - TIME: IN GALILEE, PRIOR TO JERUSALEM*

 *1. 14:4b-6 (14:1-6) PHARISEES: OPPOSE SABBATH HEALING. “And he [Jesus]
took him, and healed him, and let him go. 5 And he said unto them, Which of
you shall have a son or an ox fallen into a well, and will not straightway
draw him up on the sabbath day? 6 And they could not answer again unto these
things” (NNT). *Father, forgive us for the spirit of quibbling over the
letter of the law, and forgetting the Justice and Mercy of Your
Kingdom! *Hallowed
be your :name.*

 *2. 14:11 (14:7-11) PHARISEES: PRIDE VERSUS HUMILITY. “For every one that
exalts himself shall be humbled; and who humbles himself shall be exalted.”
**Humility*: a *true* mark of Your Kingdom Father, along with a servant
spirit! We see this *highly* exemplified in the life of Your only begotten
Son *Jesus*. *Your :kingdom come.*

 *3. 14:12 (14:12-14) PHARISEES: SHOULD MINISTER TO POOR! “And he said to
him also that had bidden him, When you make a dinner or supper, call not
your :friends, nor your :brethren, nor your :kinsmen, nor rich neighbors;
lest haply they also bid you again, and recompense be made you.” *We bless
You Father, for considering the daily food of the poor. Make us like
Yourself in this: sensitive; considerate: generous. *Your :will be done, As
in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 14:21b (14:15-24) PHARISEES: EXCLUDED FROM THE KINGDOM! “Then the
house-master being angry said to his :bondman, Go out quickly into the
streets and lanes of the city, and bring in here the poor and maimed and
blind and lame.” *Not all will sit down and eat bread in Your Kingdom
Father. Many of us *think* we will, but the love of riches and pleasure and
things will choke out the seed of Your Kingdom. O forgive us for our
carelessness, and optimism without foundation! *Our :daily :bread Give us
this day.*

 *5. 14:26-27 (14:25-27) DISCIPLESHIP: ITS DEFINITION. “If any comes unto
me, and hates not his own :father, and :mother, and :wife, and :children,
and :brethren, and :sisters, yes, and his own :life also, he cannot be my
disciple. 27 Whoever does not bear his own :cross, and come after me, cannot
be my disciple.” *How clear and uncompromising was Your Son concerning
discipleship and Kingdom issues, Father!* **And forgive us our :debts, As we
also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 14:33 (14:28-33) DISCIPLESHIP: ITS ILLUSTRATION. “So therefore whoever
of you renounces not all that he has, cannot be my disciple.” *Have we
forgotten that this saying of Jesus is a word that came from *You* Father? A
simple life with giving to the poor will greatly enrich us in Your Kingdom!
*And bring us not into temptation!*

 *7. 14:34-35 DISCIPLESHIP: A WARNING. “:Salt therefore is good: but if the
salt also have lost savor, with what shall it be seasoned? 35 It is fit for
neither land nor dunghill: men cast it out. Who has ears to hear, let him
hear.” *Only disciples who have the true tang of the Kingdom (See Romans
14:17) will be accepted by You Father! *But deliver us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: 14:13-14 (14:12-14) HOW TO MAKE A FEAST! “But when you make a
feast, bid **the poor, maimed, lame, blind: 14 and you shall be blessed;
because they have not with which to recompense you: for you shall be
recompensed in the resurrection of the just.” *This expresses Your heart,
Father. All through Scripture we see Your heart in this. We would be like
You!

 The Galilee ministry of Jesus is most significant. Here He performed His
first miracle. Here He preached the Sermon on the Mount. Here He fed the
5000 and the 4000. Here He clearly set forth the principles of God's
Kingdom!

 In Luke 14:13-14 He sets forth how to conduct a feast. Make it for the poor
who will be unable to recompense you, He said!

 Smith Wigglesworth took this challenge of Jesus quite literally. So in
Bradford, England back in the early part of the last century - as a plumber
- once a week he would put on a banquet. He collected all the sick and poor
of his city and served up a wonderful free banquet for them. Then he had
entertainment for them! All those of the previous week who had been sick;
but prayed for and healed - gave their testimonies of the goodness of the
Lord.

 Then all the present ones at the banquet who had their faith rise by these
testimonies came forward, and through *their* healing, became the
entertainment and testimonies for the succeeding week!

 I am sure the Lord looked down from heaven at His entertaining servant, and
was well pleased!

 Just look at all the other Kingdom lessons that flow out of this chapter!

 And now - our Psalm for the day! *66:18-20 (66:1-20) HOW AWESOME ARE YOUR
DEEDS! “If I had cherished iniquity in my heart, the Lord would not have
listened. 19 But truly God has listened; he has attended to the voice of my
prayer. 20 Blessed be God, because he has not rejected my prayer or removed
his steadfast love [CHEsed] from me” (ESV) *Father, we thank You for the
forgiveness of sin in Jesus. We thank You for answers to prayer from
forgiven hearts. We bless You for Your Covenant love, binding us to You and
one another! J.A.Watt

 *FOR ARCHIVE ARTICLES - Web:http://2rbetter.org/pipermail/mailing/ *