Luke 9:51-13:35

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 10:12:42 PDT 2011

September 20. 2011

 *MAR 5 - LUKE 9:51-13:35 - JESUS: CAUSES DIVISION*

 *1. 9:62 (9:51-62) JESUS ON DISCIPLESHIP. “But :Jesus said unto him, No
one, having put his :hand to the plow, and looking :back, is fit for the
kingdom of :God” (NNT). *Leave self behind; take up your cross; follow in
the footsteps of Jesus: *this* is discipleship, and it is *easy* and
*light*(MAT 11:28-30), for the way of the transgressor is
*hard*. *Hallowed be your :name!*

 *2. 10:18-19 (10) JESUS: COMMISSION, CORRECTION AND CHOICE. “And he said to
them, I beheld :Satan fallen as lightning from :heaven. 19 Lo, I have given
you the authority to :tread upon serpents and scorpions, and over all the
power of the enemy: and nothing shall in any wise hurt you.” *What Jesus
started through the 70, will eventuate in the overthrow of Satan. No wonder
Jesus rejoiced, Father! And we too rejoice that He has chosen us! *Your
:kingdom come!*

 *3. 11:9, 13 (11:1-13) JESUS ON PRAYER. “And I say unto you, Ask, and it
shall be given you; seek, and you shall find; knock, and it shall be opened
to you. 13 If you therefore being evil, know how to give good gifts to your
:children, how much more shall the Father who is from heaven give the Holy
Spirit to them that ask him? *What confidence this gives us in prayer to
You, Father! *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 11:20 (11:14-36) JESUS: EXPOSES SATAN AND DARKNESS. “But if I by God's
finger cast out the demons, then is the kingdom of :God come upon you.” *Your
Kingdom Father, is a Kingdom of Power as well as of truth. O forgive us that
we so often settle for either aspect, but so seldom bring the two together
in Your balance! *Our :daily :bread Give us this day!*

 *5. 11:52 (11:37-54) JESUS EXPOSES HYPOCRISY. “Woe to you :lawyers! for you
took away the key of :knowledge: you entered not in yourselves, and those
entering in you hindered.” *What a condemnation! Father, guard our spirits
that we fall not in a similar sin! *And forgive us our :debts, As we also
have forgiven our :debtors!*

 *6. 12:50-51 (12) JESUS CONTRASTS COVETOUSNESS AND TRUE STEWARDSHIP. “But I
have a baptism to be baptized with; and how am I straitened till it be
accomplished! 51 Do you think that I am come to give peace in the earth? I
tell you, No; but rather division.” *The Kingdom of God is Good News to the
Wheat, but Bad News to the tares and to Satan. It is Bad News to the carnal,
the traditionalist and the hypocrite. *And bring us not into temptation!*

 *7. 13:34 (13) JESUS: HARD TEACHING! “Jerusalem, Jerusalem, that kills the
prophets, and stones those sent unto her! how oft would I have gathered your
:children together, even as a hen gathers her own brood under her :wings,
and you would not!” *What potential compassion in the face of such gross
rebellion! Father we see in Jesus' Your heart of compassion! *But deliver us
from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: 10:21 (10) JESUS: HIS BASE OF REJOICING! “In that same :hour he
rejoiced in the :Holy Spirit, and said, I thank you, Father, Lord of :heaven
and :earth,that you did hide these **things from the wise and understanding,
and did reveal them to babes: yes, :Father: for so it was well-pleasing in
your sight.” *This rejoicing (agalliAo) is the same as Luke 1:44, where John
the Baptist *leaped* in the womb for joy. It is stronger than CHAIr*o*, joy.
It is a joy of *celebration*!

 It is important to see Jesus' words on the Gospel and its initial effect to
cause division. Peace is *not* its initial effect! I can witness that this
is exactly what happened upon my entry into the Kingdom of God 67 years ago.
Soon my brother would not open my mail to him - and when we were on leave
from the armed forces together, he was afraid to walk down town with me in
case I started a street meeting on the way.

 My parents were concerned that I was being carried away with zeal to win
the whole world to Christ all by myself! I am sure they were correct in
part, and that my zeal needed to be programmed more wisely.

 But when we look over Luke 9:51-13:35 - it is evident that *division* is an
initial reaction to the Gospel! In the days of George Whitefield and the
Wesleys - early violent persecution was the mark of the beginning of
Methodism.

 So it is good that this aspect of the Gospel is clearly in view for all
new-comers into God's Kingdom!

 And our Psalm for the day: *65:1-2 (65:1-13) O GOD OF OUR SALVATION.
“Praise is due to you, O God, in Zion, and to you shall vows be
performed. 2O you who hear prayer, to you shall all flesh come” (NNT).
*You made us for Yourself, O Father, and our hearts are restless until they
find their rest in You (St. Augustine)! Praise and worship to You are
comely. We acknowledge gratefully and joyfully Your right to this! J.A.Watt

 *FOR ARCHIVE ARTICLES - Web:http://2rbetter.org/pipermail/mailing/ *