Luke 9:1-50

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 19:50:21 PDT 2011

September 18, 2011

 *MAR 4 - LUKE 9:1-50 - JESUS: KINGDOM TEACHING*

 *1. 9:1-2 (9:1-6) JESUS: COMMISSIONS THE TWELVE. “And he called the twelve
together, and gave them power and authority over all demons, and to cure
sicknesses. 2 And he sent them forth to preach the kingdom of :God, and to
heal” (NNT). *Here is the Kingdom in a nutshell: proclamation of the good
news, plus confirmation in power! This is the pattern for this Kingdom age;
then open rule and manifestation at Jesus' second coming. *Hallowed be your
:name.*

 *2. 9:7, 9 (9:7-9) JESUS: PERPLEXES HEROD. “Now Herod the tetrarch heard of
all that was done: and he was perplexed, because it was :said by some, that
John was risen from the dead; 9 And :Herod said, John I beheaded: but who is
this, about whom I hear such things? And he was seeking to see him.” *Was
Herod willing to pay the price concerning Your will, Father? No; curiosity
was stronger than desire. *Your :kingdom come!*

 *3. 9:13-14a (9:10-17) JESUS FEEDS 5000. “But he said unto them, Give YOU
them to eat. And they said, We have no more than five loaves and two fishes;
except WE should go and buy food for all this :people. 14a For they were
about five thousand men.” *Father, Your Son gave the multitude their daily
bread! If it takes a miracle, You will meet our needs! *Your :will be done,
As in heaven, so on earth!*

 *4. 9:23 (9:18-27) JESUS: DEFINES DISCIPLESHIP. “And he was saying to all,
If any would come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his :cross
daily, and follow me.” *Here is true discipleship. Here is what Oswald
Chambers calls *personal, passionate devotion to Jesus*! O forgive us
Father, that our commitment is so weak! Make us like a John the Baptist, a
bright and shining light for Jesus! *Our :daily :bread Give us this day.*

 *5. 9:34-35 (9:38-36) JESUS: HIS TRANSFIGURATION. “And while he was saying
these things, a cloud came and was overshadowing them: and they were afraid
as they :entered into the cloud. 35 And a voice came out of the cloud,
saying, This is my :Son, the chosen: hear HIM.” *The three apostles saw the
Kingdom of God manifested in Jesus, and heard heaven's approval upon it.
This was of You, Father. Yet - Your Word is a *more sure* word of prophecy!
*And forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 9:42-43a (9:37-43a) JESUS HEALS AN EPILIPTIC. “And as he was yet a
coming, the demon rent and convulsed him grievously. But :Jesus rebuked the
unclean :spirit, and healed the boy, and gave him back to his father.
43aAnd all were astonished at the majesty of :God.”
*Father, through Jesus You deliver us from the evil one! Even demons are
subject to us in Jesus' Name! Jesus in us will set the captives free! *And
bring us not into temptation.*

 *7. 9:48 (9:43b-50) JESUS: CHILDLIKENESS IS CENTRAL TO THE KINGDOM.
“Whoever shall receive this little :child in my :name receives me: and
whoever shall receive me receives him that sent me: for who is lesser among
you all, the same is great.” **Humility* is the great mark of the Kingdom,
with a servant spirit. You have ordered it so Father, and it is so contrary
to the world. But we rejoice in this, because it is of You! *But deliver us
from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: 9:26 (9:18-27) JESUS: A STERN WARNING. “For whoever shall be
ashamed of me and of my :words, of him shall the Son of :man be ashamed when
he comes in his :glory and the Father's, and of the holy angels.” *Break the
fear of man in us, Father! Let *Your* fear eclipse the other, and be
the *expulsive
power* of a new affection. May we *tremble* at Your Word!

 *GOD IS TOTAL TRUTH - Psalm 31:1-5*

*Pastor Jeff Moorehead, Christ's Church of Federal Way, September 18, 2011*

 Jesus consistently honors the Bible - the Word of God. He sees God as
“Total Truth”. He does not stand for “Modernism” which is the belief that
reality (truth) is only known by the testable senses of mankind. Nor does He
attest to “Postmodernism” which is the belief that reality (truth) is
technically *unknowable*!

 *A. God is the Determiner of truth.*

Truth is from a Hebrew word from which we get our word *Amen* - So be it -
This is so!

And in Psalm 31:1-5 - God is the *God of Truth* (reality). David proclaims
God as “O LORD God of Truth!”

 *B. God is the Deliverer of Truth*

We have access to God through 5 Delivery Systems:

1. Through *Creation*! See Romans 1.

2. Through *Discovery*. e.g. - only 2% of earth's water is *fresh*!

3. Through *His Word* - special revelation

4. Through the *Gospel of Jesus* - the Word of truth.

Truth in the NT is from a-L*E*th*o*. L*E*th*o* means to hide; “a” - is that
which is *not* hidden. Jesus is God's means to take hidden things in the OT,
and make them known as God's Messiah in the NT. Solomon in Proverbs 25:2
states that “It is the glory of God to conceal things, but the glory of
kings is to search things out. We are a “kingdom of priests” - and in Jesus
and Paul as the opener of “mysteries” we discover truth.

5. Through *fallible men* teaching and *preaching* the Word of Truth.

 *C. God is the Determiner of Truth*

There are 7 categories that people live by: by what we determine!

1. *Experience*? many do.

2. *Tradition*? The Pharisees of Jesus' day were rebuked by Him for this.

3. *Culture* - Everybody does it?

4. *Reason* - because its logical?

5. *Emotion* - It *feels* right - feelings are almost always right? Wrong!

6. *Opinion* - Surveys say? - No - *God* determines!

7. *Divine Revelation* - Considered to be politically incorrect by the 6
above.

 But - 9 Unique Features of the Amazing Truth of Reality!

1. *Innovative* Truth - It's *original* - the Central Reality!

2. *Inspired* Truth - God-breathed. See 2 Timothy 3:16 “*Every* scripture is
God breathed, and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for
discipline *which is* in righteousness.” Some translators, knowing the true
construction of the Greek text here, have yet translated it “Every scripture
inspired of God is profitable” - putting doubt that our 66 books of some 40
authors are truly inspired of God - in spite of 2 Peter 1:21 and 1
Corinthians 14:37.

3. *Infallible* Truth - Inerrant - no mistakes. Psalm 19:7 - The fear of the
Lord is *perfect*!

4. *Insistent* Truth. The commandment of God = Truth!

5. *Immutable* Truth. Proverbs 30:5-6 warns of adding or taking from any
part of God's Word. His word *never* changes. All else changes - but
*not*God or His Word!

6. *Indestructible* Truth. It *won't* pass away. It is *not* chained!

7. *Influential Truth*. It is a word of ideas. Isaiah 55:11 shows there is *
nothing* like God's Word! Paul's word to the Thessalonians was *not* man's
word - but *God's Word* in truth!

8. *Indiscriminate* Truth. It is for *all* our friends who need this truth.
1 Corinthians 16:22 - If anyone loves not the Lord of Truth - let him be
Anathema - a curse! Psalm 117:1-2 - This Truth is *not* just for Jews or
Israel - but for *all* nations - all people!

9. *Indispensable* Truth. We can't live *without* it. Three times Jesus
quotes this Truth to defeat Satan. At this point He says that man shall not
live by bread alone - but by *every* word that proceeds out of the mouth of
God. Jesus confirmed Moses as the author of the Bible's first 5 books! He
confirmed *all* of the Word of God as being indeed *God's Word*!

 Jesus confirms in John 8:33 that to know His Truth - *is to be set free*!
But in 8:32 we must first follow Him in His Word - else we end up in blind
deception. It is only by God's Truth that we are released to repent of sin
and place our faith in Jesus and His Finished Work!

 Note: - In Charles G. Finney's Day, his “Revival Lectures” in NY City were
taken down short-hand and transcribed. Of course this was not done
perfectly, but Mr. Finney let them go through, to the blessing of the body
of Christ. I made notes on Pastor Moorehead's sermon above, and of course
there will be errors. I trust he like Mr. Finney will forgive these, and
trust that they will be a blessing to Christ's body today. At the close of
his message - he exhorted us to take the above truth and share it to the
salvation of souls! I trust what I have done is in this spirit. - Jim Watt

 *FOR ARCHIVE ARTICLES - Web:http://2rbetter.org/pipermail/mailing/ *