James 3:1-18

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 09:44:01 PDT 2011

September 24, 2011

 *(From JAMES #4 - 3:1-18)*

 *B. 3:1-18 WORDS MISUSED: REVEAL AN EVIL HEART *

*1. 3:1-12 THE INCONSISTENT TONGUE: BREAKS KEY TO CONTROL*

*a. 3:1 Be not many teachers, my brothers, knowing that we shall receive
greater condemnation.*

M*e* polLOI diDASko-loi GInes-the, a-delPHOI mou, eiDOtes HOti MEIzon KRIma
l*e*mPSOme-tha.

 *b. 3:2a **For in many **things **we all stumble. *polLA gar PTAIo-men [4417]
HApan-tes.

 *c. 3:2b PICTURE OF THE PERFECT MAN*

*If any stumbles not in word, the same is a perfect man,*

ei tis en LOg*o* ou PTAIei, HOUtos TElei-os aN*E*R,

*able to bridle the whole :body also.*

du-naTOS cha-li-na-g*o*G*E*sai [5468] kai HOlon to S*O*ma.

 *d. 3:3 A BRIDLE CONTROLS THE WHOLE HORSE*

*Now if we put the bridles of horses into the**ir** mouths*

ei de t*o*n HIPp*o*n [2462] tous cha-liNOUS eis ta STOma-ta BALlo-men

*that they may obey us, we turn about their whole :body also.*

eis to PEIthes-thai auTOUS h*e*MIN, kai HOlon to S*O*ma auT*O*N meTAgo-men
[3329].

 *e. 3:4 THE RUDDER CONTROLS THE WHOLE SHIP*

*Lo, the ships also, though they are so great and are driven by rough winds,
*

iDOU, kai to PLOIa, te-liKAUta ONta kai huPO aNEm*o*n [417] skl*e*R*O*N
[4642] e-lauNOme-na,

*are turned about by a very small rudder, wherever the impulse of the
steersman wills.*

meTAge-tai huPO e-laCHIStou p*e*-daLIou, HOpou h*e* horM*E* [3730] tou
euTHUnon-tos BOUle-tai.

 *f. 3:5a Thus the tongue also is a little member, and boasts great things.*

HOUt*o*s kai h*e* GL*O*Ssa [1100] miKRON MElos esTIN, kai meGAla auCHEI.

 *g. 3:5b Lo, how much wood is kindled by how small a fire!*

iDOU, h*e*LIkon pur h*e*LIk*e*n HUl*e*n aNAPtei [381]!

 *h. 3:6 THE TONGUE INFLAMES ALL OF NATURE!*

*And the tongue is a fire: the world of :iniquity among our :members is the
tongue,*

kai h*e* GL*O*Ssa pur: ho KOSmos t*e*s a-diKIas h*e* GL*O*Ssa kaTHISta-tai
en tois MEle-sin h*e*M*O*N,

*which defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the path of :nature,*

h*e* spiLOUsa [4696] HOlon to S*O*ma, kai phloGIzou-sa [5304] ton troCHON
[5164] t*e*s geNEse-*o*s [1078],

*and is set on fire by :geenna.*

kai phlo-gi-zoMEn*e* [5304] huPO t*e*s geENn*e*s [1067].

 *i. 3:7-8 HUMAN NATURE ALONE FAILS TO CONTROL THE TONGUE*

*For every kind of beasts and birds, of things creeping,*

PAsa gar PHUsis [5449] th*e*RI*o*n [2342] te kai pe-teiN*O*N [4071], her-peT
*O*N [2062],

*and in the sea, is tamed, 8 and has been tamed by human nature:*

te kai e-naLI*o*n [1724], daMAze-tai [1150], kai deDAmas-tai t*e* PHUsei t*e
* an-thr*o*PIn*e*:

*but the tongue can no man tame:*

t*e*n de GL*O*Ssan ouDEIS daMAsa DUna-tai anTHR*O*p*o*n:

*a restless evil, full of deadly poison.*

a-kaTASta-ton [183] kaKON, mesT*E* iOU tha-na-t*e*PHOrou [2287].

 *j. 3:9-10a THE TONGUE GRAVITATES BETWEEN BLESSING AND CURSING*

*Therewith bless we the Lord and Father;*

en auT*E* eu-loGOUmen ton KUri-on kai paTEra;

*and therewith curse we :men, who are made after God’s likeness:*

kai en auT*E* ka-taR*O*me-tha tous anTHR*O*pous, tous kath’ hoMOI*o*-sin
[3669] TheOU ge-goNOtas:

*10a **out of the same mouth comes forth blessing and cursing.*

ek tou auTOU STOma-tos eXERche-tai eu-loGIa kai kaTAra.

 *k. 3:10b My brothers, these things ought not to be thus.*

ou chr*e*, a-delPHOI mou, TAUta HOUt*o*s GInes-thai.

 *l. 3:11-12 THIS ACTION IS CONTRARY TO NATURE*

*Does the fountain send forth from the same :opening*

M*E*ti h*e* p*e*G*E* [4077] ek t*e*s auT*E*S BRUei [1032]

*the sweet and the bitter? 12 can a fig tree, my brothers,*

to gluKU kai to piKRON [4089]? M*e* DUna-tai, a-delPHOI mu, suK*E* [4808],

*yield olives, or a vine figs? neither **can** salt water yield sweet.*

eLAIas poi*E*sai, *e* AMpe-los [288] SUka? OUte ha-luKON [252] gluKU [1099]poi
*E*sai HUd*o*r.

 *2. 3:13-18 CONTRAST OF INFERNAL AND HEAVENLY WISDOM*

* a. 3:13 GOOD CONDUCT IN MEEKNESS: PROVES WISDOM*

*Who **is** wise and understanding among you?*

Tis soPHOS [4680] kai e-pisST*E*m*o*n en huMIN?

*let him show by his good :conduct his :works in meekness of wisdom.*

deiXAt*o* ek t*e*s kaL*E*S a-na-stroPH*E*S [391] ta ERga auTOU en PRAUt*e*-ti
[4240] soPHIas.

 *b. 3:14 TRUTH IS BETRAYED BY BAD CONDUCT*

ei de Z*E*lon [2205] piKRON Eche-te kai e-riTHIan [2052] en t*e* karDIa huM*
O*N,

*But if you have bitter jealousy and faction in your :heart,*

m*e* ka-ta-kauCHASthe [2620] kai PSEUdes-the [5576] kaTA t*e*s a-l*e*THEIas.

*glory not and lie not against the truth.*

 *c. 3:15 THE SOURCE OF EVIL CONDUCT*

*This is not the wisdom that comes down from above, *

ouk es-tin HAUt*e* h*e* soPHIa An*o*-then ka-ter-choMEn*e*,

*but is earthly, sensual, demonish.*

alLA ePIgei-os [1919], psu-chiKE, dai-mo-niOdes.

 *d. 3:16 For where jealousy is and faction, there is confusion and every
vile deed.*

HOpou gar Z*E*los kai e-riTHIa [2052], eKEI a-ka-ta-staSIa [181] kai pan
PHAUlon PRAGma.

 *e. 3:17 THE NATURE OF HEAVENLY WISDOM*

*But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable,*

h*e* de An*o*-then soPHIa PR*O*ton men hagN*E* [53] es-tin, Epei-ta ei-r*e*
-niK*E* [1516],

*gentle, easily entreated, full of mercy and good fruits, *

e-pi-eiK*E*S [1933], eu-peiTH*E*S [2138]], mesT*E* eLEous [1656] kai karP*O*N
a-gaTH*O*N,

*without variance, without hypocrisy.*

a-diAkri-tos [87], a-nuPOkri-tos [505].

 *f. 3:18 And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace for them that make
peace.*

karPOS de di-kai-oSUn*e*s en eiR*E*n*e* SPEIre-tai [4687] tois poiOUsin eiR*
E*n*e*n.

 *NOTE:* For me, James chapter 3 is the key of this letter, because of verse
3:17. Heavenly Wisdom has an 8-fold character, composed of the 8 words
listed herein. “Pure” (hagN*E*) has been sent under “The Book Outline of
James” plus “Greek Word Studies.” Upon completion of the Greek Interlinear
Numeric New Testament of this book, I will supply a one-page outline for the
remaining 7 key words of this verse, plus a one-page outline for the
remaining six Numeric sections.

 My goal is to do this for each of the 27 books of the New Testament. The
main reason for this project is because I believe that it originated in the
mind of God. He used Ivan Panin to prepare both the Numeric Greek and
English texts. Panin died in Aldershot, Ontario Canada in 1942, but failed
to see the fruition of his hope for the production of an Interlinear Greek
Numeric Outlined New Testament.

 God Providentially introduced me to Dr. Ivan Panin through a Russian Jew –
Dr. Jewel of Calgary, Alberta in 1944. I purchased all writings of Panin
available in 1945. Since then I have spent well over 40,000 hours preparing
the Interlinear Greek Numeric Outlined New Testament in MS form, plus the
7-fold format of the Greek Word Studies. I am in the process of typing up on
Computer this three-fold project. I know I don’t need to ask for your
prayers for its successful completion.

 Solomon in his 3-fold writings highly commends the *wisdom* of God.
*Jesus*is God’s Wisdom manifested in the flesh. Jesus is also the
*Word of God* manifested in the flesh from before the world was. Jesus by
the Holy Spirit abides within believers, and manifests Himself through us in
the 8-fold manner of this key verse.

 Heidi and Rolland Baker of “Iris Ministries” in Mozambique, Africa – seek
to see this manifestation in fullness through their lives. This is my goal
also. It is a *daily* exercise of faith in the light of Romans 12:1-2; Mark
8:34 and Galatians 2:20. Will you join with Marie and me in this high
privilege and calling? Oswald Chambers in his writings sets forth principles
that speed one on in this way. - J.A.Watt

 PS. At the high motivation of Elvin Gladney, I completed the first typed
copy of the Outlined Interlinear Greek NT on December 31, 2010. I am now in
the process of reversing the two texts so that the English Text appears
first. This is at the strong suggestion of members in the Printing
Department. For me, it is a good 2 months project, but I believe it should
be done. Pray for Jim Ray. Since this sudden and most unexpected passing of
Elvin, at his work at the last, he laid the foundation for this shift. Again
- Romans 8:28. God has a hidden wisdom in this, and in the not too distant
future, we will understand His wisdom here. In the text above, you can judge
for yourself if you agree. J.

 *FOR ARCHIVE ARTICLES - Web:http://2rbetter.org/pipermail/mailing/ *