Leviticus 21-22

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 14:57:58 PDT 2011

September 6, 2011

 *FEB 26 - LEVITICUS 21-22 - REGULATIONS FOR THE PRIESTS*

 *1. 21:7-8 (21:1-15) PRIESTS: RELIGIOUS LAWS. “They shall not marry a
prostitute or a woman who has been defiled, neither shall they marry a woman
divorced from her husband, for the priest is holy to his God. 8 You shall
sanctify him, for he offers the bread of your God. He shall be holy to you,
for I, the LORD, who sanctify you, am holy” (ESV). *High standards You have
O Father, for Your five-fold ministry (Ephesians 4:11). We honor You for
this. *Hallowed be your :name.*

 *2. 21:16-17 (21:16-24) PRIESTS: PHYSICAL QUALIFICATIONS. “And the LORD
spoke to Moses, saying, 17 “Speak to Aaron, saying, None of your offspring
throughout their generations who has a blemish may approach to offer the
bread of his God.” *Only outer court ministry of deacons is permissible for
those who have compromised the priesthood may approach here (Ezekiel
44:9-31). We submit to this. *Your :kingdom come. *

 *3. 22:3 (22:1-9) PRIESTS: SEPARATION AND DEFILEMENT. Say to them, “If any
one of all your*

*offspring throughout your generations approaches the holy things that the
people of Israel dedicate to the*

*LORD, while he has an uncleanness, that person shall be cut off from my
presence: I am the LORD.” *We

remember Nadab and Abihu. We remember those leaders of *our* generation who
have fallen. Righteous and just

are Your judgments O Father. *Jealous* is Your Name! *Your :will be done, As
in heaven, so on earth!*

 *4. 22:14 (22:10-16) PRIESTS: SANCTITY OF THEIR FOOD. “And if anyone eats
of a holy thing unintentionally, he shall add the fifth of its value to it
and give the holy thing to the priest.” *O forgive us Father, for so lightly
regarding Your holy things and Your holy Name! Your fear is not sufficiently
deep in our hearts. O circumcise our hearts and write these things deeply
upon them! *Our :daily :bread, Give us this day.*

 *5. 22:19-20 (22:17-25) PRIESTS: IMPERFECTIONS. “If it is to be accepted
for you it shall be a male without blemish, of the bulls or the sheep or the
goats. 20 You shall not offer anything that has a blemish, for it will not
be acceptable for you.” *Malachi censored Israel for disregarding this word.
Rather, You Father spoke this word of censor through Him! You are a
*great*God, and deserve our best!
*And forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven our :debtors!*

 *6. 22:29-30 (22:26-30) PRIESTS: LAW OF SACRIFICES. “And when you sacrifice
a sacrifice of thanksgiving to the LORD, you shall sacrifice it so that you
may be accepted. 30 It shall be eaten on the same day; you shall leave none
of it until morning: I am the LORD.” *If we are to be thankful unto You
Father, let us be thankful according to *Your* prescribed pattern! *And
bring us not into temptation.*

 *7. 22:31-33. OBEDIENCE ENJOINED. “So you shall keep my commandments and do
them: I am the LORD. 32 And you shall not profane my holy name, that I may
be sanctified among the people of Israel. I am the LORD who sanctifies you, 33
who brought you out of the land of Egypt to be your God: I am the LORD.” *We
acknowledge Your declaration Father! *But deliver us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE: 21:6 (21:1-15) PRIESTS: REASON FOR THEIR HOLINESS. “They shall be
holy to their God and not profane the name of their God. For they offer the
LORD's food offerings, the bread of their God; therefore they shall be
holy.” *The five-fold ministry is highly favored, and it behooves all such
to walk in *holiness*. Then they can walk in Kingdom Power!

 God's instructions for OT priests do not apply to us directly, but the *
spirit* of this does apply to the 5-fold ministries today. 1 & 2 Timothy and
Titus deal with this viewpoint from a NT aspect.

 Recently a man who walked in the Spirit of this went to his heavenly home
and reward - Dr. John Stott. When I read of this, I felt it was well
worthwhile passing along - so here 'tis. It would be profitable for us to
look up Dr. Valson Abraham's Website - and see the fruit that partly comes
because of the input of John Stott.

 *Remembering an Exemplary Christian Leader: John Stott*

by Valson Abraham, India Gospel Outreach - <*www.indiago.org>*

 *John Stott was named by TIME magazine as one of the top 100 leaders in the
world, with influence second only to that of Billy Graham. Yet he was a
humble man who shunned the limelight and the trappings of power to quietly
give himself to the work of a pastor, mentor, writer and to the fulfillment
of the Great Commission.*

 On July 27th, *John R.W. Stott*, a hero of the faith and a hero of mine,
went to be with the Lord at the age of 90, a homegoing of one of the finest
minds and erudite teachers of God's Word the global church has ever had.

 During his lifetime, Stott was known worldwide for his depth and breadth of
Biblical scholarship, and for preaching, teaching and writing with
extraordinary clarity, simplicity and faithfulness to the Scriptures.

 Born to an agnostic father and a Lutheran mother, Stott was ordained an
Anglican minister, serving as rector of All Souls Church in London and
chaplain to the Queen of England.

 *TIME* magazine named him among the top 100 leaders in the world, and his
influence upon evangelicalism was second only to Billy Graham. His ministry
shaped the faith of a generation and took him all over the world, spanning
across denominations to countless people and selling millions of books. The
royalties from his books provided scholarships for hundreds of doctoral
students and books for seminaries especially in the “majority world”. In
spite of his fame, he remained a humble man, celibate, living in a
one-bedroom apartment, and quietly mentoring hundreds of people of every
background who knew him as “Uncle John.”

 Stott was a man of keen global vision and insight and was the chief
architect of the Lausanne Covenant, which laid out the beliefs on which
evangelicalism was built into a worldwide movement. The Lausanne Covenant
has served as a theological and philosophical foundation that has guided
India Gospel Outreach from its earliest days.

 Stott's commitment to the Great Commission is also unmistakable throughout
his many books and sermons. His simple and lucid exposition of profound
Bible truths have helped to influence and encourage the development of many
evangelical and church planting missions, especially those in the 10/40
window, including that of India Gospel Outreach.

 “*His [Jesus] authority on earth allows us to dare to go to all the
nations. His authority in heaven gives us our only hope of success. And His
presence with us leaves us with no other choice.” - *John Stott

 I first heard him speak at Urbana in 1979 and during my years at Fuller
Theological Seminary where he preached on different occasions. All of us who
heard him were captivated as he illuminated the Word of God and radiated the
Spirit's unmistakable presence. In turn, he gave us his undivided attention.

 As his time on earth drew to a close, family and friends surrounded him,
reading from 2 Timothy and listening to “I Know That My Redeemer Liveth” and
other selections from Handel's Messiah during his final moments. Now, for
eternity, he gazes at the Redeemer he so adored.

 *FOR ARCHIVE ARTICLES -- Web:http://2rbetter.org/pipermail/mailing/*