Leviticus 17

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 12:24:26 PDT 2011

August 31, 2011

 *FEB 24 - LEVITICUS 17 - THE ALTAR: FOR RECONCILIATION*

 *1. 17:5 (17:1-5) ALTAR OF TENT: PLACE OF SACRIFICE. “This is to the end
that the people of Israel may bring their sacrifices that they sacrifice in
the open field that they may bring them to the LORD, to the priest at the
entrance of the tent of meeting, and sacrifice them as sacrifices of peace
offerings to the LORD” (ESV). *You have designated only one altar for
sacrifice in Israel; and only Christ at Calvary is acceptable to us, Father.
*Hallowed be your :name!*

 *2. 17:6 ALTAR: RECEIVES BLOOD AND FAT. “And the priest shall throw the
blood on the altar of the LORD at the entrance of the tent of meeting and
burn the fat for a pleasing aroma to the LORD.” *And the blood and the fat
is for *You* Father, not for us. We acknowledge Your right in these
decisions. And now whatever You say in the 27 books of the NT - *this* we
will walk in! *Your :kingdom come!*

 *3. 17:7 ALTAR: REPLACES DEMON WORSHIP. “So they shall no more sacrifice
their sacrifices to goat demons, after whom they whore. This shall be a
statute forever for them throughout their generations.” *Sacrifice to Satan
and demons by man is unacceptable to You, Father. The day will come - and
soon - when all such workers of travesty shall be removed from the earth,
but the righteous and obedient shall be eternally rewarded! *Your :will be
done, As in heaven, so on earth!*

 *4. 17:8-9 ALTAR: ITS REFUSAL BRINGS DEATH. “And you shall say to them, Any
one of the house of Israel, or of the strangers who sojourn among them, who
offers a burnt offering or sacrifice 9 and does not bring it to the entrance
of the tent of meeting to offer it to the LORD, that man shall be cut off
from his people.” *These are strong words from man's point of view Father,
but altogether righteous from Yours! O forgive us for judging You from
humanism and man's traditions! *Our :daily :bread Give us this day.*

 *5. 17:11 (17:10-12) BLOOD OF ALTAR: EATING BRINGS DEATH. “For the life of
the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it for you on the altar to make
atonement for your souls, for it is the blood that makes atonement by the
life.” *Blood represent life, and the soul is in the blood. And the highest
life given for the world is in the Blood of Your Son, Father. May we never
be tempted to doubt the efficacy of Christ's blood! *And forgive us our
:debts, As we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 17:14 (17:13-14) BLOOD APART FROM ALTAR: EATING BRINGS DEATH. “For the
life of every creature is its blood: its blood is its life. Therefore I have
said to the people of Israel, You shall not eat the blood of any creature,
for the life of every creature is its blood. Whoever eats it shall be cut
off.” *Now we see the wisdom of “kosher” meat - of meat properly drained of
blood. We submit to Your will in this, Father! *And bring us not into
temptation!*

 *7. 17:15 (17:15-16) UNCLEANNESS: FOR EATING DEAD OR TORN ANIMALS. “And
every person who eats what dies of itself or what is torn by beasts, whether
he is a native or a sojourner, shall wash his clothes and bathe himself in
water and be unclean until the evening; then he shall be clean.” *This is
Your method for our cleansing Father, when we transgress against Your
wishes.* But deliver us from the evil one.*

 *NOTE**: 17:10 (17:10-12) ANY KIND OF BLOOD EATEN: BRINGS JUDGMENT TO ALL!
“If any one of the house of Israel or of the strangers who sojourn among
them eats any blood, I will set my face against that person who eats blood
and will cut him off from among his people.” *Man always tends to rebel
against You Father, and seeks to bring back human ways of doing things.

 The Altar is the first of seven pieces of furniture in the Tent of Meeting
in the Wilderness, constructed by Moses according to the pattern shown him
by vision on Mount Sinai.

 This whole chapter, the 17th of Leviticus, is devoted for today's
devotional reading to this initial piece of furniture, and bears careful
reading. For George Whitefield and George Muller, they read it on their
knees. Then Whitefield - word by word and line by line - would meditate upon
it, and pray it back to God vocally. He did this at 4:00 AM, and would
preach from this sometimes up to 3 times a day.

 Note that the blood and the fat must *always* be burnt on the altar *for
God*. No more blood and suet puddings! But you say - This is OT! Yes - and
the Temple sacrifices and worship were like the Sabbath - uniquely for
Israel as a sign of God's ownership over them. Acts 15 and the Book of
Galatians reveal that Gentiles - non-Jews - are *not* under obligation for
these.

 But the *moral law* of the OT - especially when repeated in the NT, is
likewise for *us* as well as for Israel. And - eating blood and fat is
verboten for us just as for Israel!

 It is shocking today to see so many Evangelical Christians refusing to
accept the authority of God in His 27 NT books - to *do* them. Paul (1
Corinthians 14:37) and Peter (2 Peter 1:21) clearly show that *not* just the
words of Jesus in the Gospels - *but also* His Words *through* His apostles
- are *equally* binding upon us! It may be that parts of the church will
refuse to acknowledge God's authority in such until Christ's Return for His
Millennial Reign, *Then* the whole earth will submit to His benevolent
reign. And any nation on earth then who refuses to come to Jerusalem
annually to celebrate the Feast of Tabernacles - rain will be withheld from
*that nation*!

 I personally would rather practice *now* all NT words - and so be ready for
them in the 7th 1000 years about to come! I have some friends who berate me
for this position! We will *soon* see who is on *God's side* on these
issues!

 Our Psalm for the day - *54:4-5 (54:1-7) THE LORD UPHOLDS MY LIFE! “Behold,
God is my helper; the Lord is the upholder of my life. 5 He will return the
evil to my enemies; in your faithfulness put an end to them.” *Father, we
hallow Your Name for Your faithfulness in delivering us from our enemies.
Yes, Your Truth *always* triumphs! J.A.Watt

 *FOR ARCHIVE ARTICLES -- Web:http://2rbetter.org/pipermail/mailing/*