Leviticus 11-16

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 10:17:33 PDT 2011

August 30, 2011

 *FEB 23 - LEVITICUS 11-16 - THE PEOPLE: THEIR PURIFICATION*

 *1. 11:44 (11) PEOPLE: LAW OF CLEAN AND UNCLEAN. “For I am the LORD your
God. Consecrate yourselves therefore, and be holy, for I am holy. You shall
not defile yourselves with any swarming that crawls on the ground”
(ESV). *There
is wisdom in all of these rules Father, and who abides within them will be
the healthier for it. It also sets Your people off from all other people. We
submit to Your Kingdom principles that apply to us as New Covenant
believers. *Hallowed be your :name.*

 *2. 12:8 (12) PEOPLE: PURIFICATION OF MOTHERS. “And if she cannot afford a
lamb, then she shall take two turtledoves or two pigeons, one for a burnt
offering and the other for a sin offering. And the priest shall make
atonement for her, and she shall be clean.” *Mary and Joseph submitted to
this on behalf of Your Son Jesus, Father. We too submit to Your NT Covenant
words for us! *Your :kingdom come!*

 *3. 13:45-46 (13) PEOPLE: DISCERNING LEPROSY. “The leprous person who has
the disease shall wear torn clothes and let the hair of his head hang loose,
and he shall cover his upper lip and cry out, 'Unclean, unclean.” 46 He
shall remain unclean as long as he has the disease. He is unclean. He shall
live alone. His dwelling shall be outside the camp.” *You have made leprosy
a type of sin, Father. *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on earth!*

 *4. 14:14 (14:1-32) PEOPLE: CLEANSING LEPROSY. “The priest shall take some
of the blood of the guilt offering, and the priest shall put it on the lobe
of the right ear of him who is to be cleansed and on the thumb of his right
hand and on the big toe of his right foot.” *First the *blood*, and then the
*oil*! And You have designed this cleansing to affect our *hearing*, our *
work* and our *walk*, Father. O forgive us that we are so careless to avail
ourselves of the fullness of Christ's Atonement! *Our :daily :bread Give us
this day.*

 *5. 14:54-57 (14:33-57) PEOPLE: LEPROSY IN A HOUSE. “This is the law for
any case of leprous disease: for an itch, 55 for leprous disease in a
garment or in a house, 56 and for a swelling or an eruption or a spot, 57 to
show when it is unclean and when it is clean. This is the law for leprous
disease.” *How careful You are Father, where it pertains to leprosy in a
house or clothing! May we too be careful in the areas where *You* take care!
*And forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven our :debtors!*

 *6. 15:31 (15) PEOPLE: LAW OF UNCLEANNESS. “Thus you shall keep the people
of Israel separate from their uncleanness, lest they die in their
uncleanness by defiling my tabernacle that is in their midst.” *Your House
Father, is defiled when we engage in uncleanness. A little leaven leavens
the whole lump. But when we look after these matters, *You* are pleased! *And
bring us not into temptation.*

 *7. 16:34 (16) PEOPLE: DAY OF ATONEMENT. “And this shall be a statute
forever for you, that atonement may be made for the people of Israel once in
the year because of all their sins.” And Moses did as the LORD commanded. *This
is the annual Day of Atonement, one of the most solemn days of Israel! O
help us by Your Spirit Father, to plumb its depths of meaning! *But deliver
us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: 14:8 (14:1-32) INSIGHT ON PURIFICATION. “And he who is to be
cleansed shall wash his clothes and shave off all his hair and bathe himself
in water, and he shall be clean. And after that he may come into the camp,
but live outside his tent seven days.” *We bless You Father, for Your care
for us in the areas of cleansing and hygiene.

 This section of Leviticus deals with cleansing of the body - the flesh. But
in the NT, God sets forth His desire that we be cleansed in *both* flesh *and
spirit* - 2 Corinthians 7:1 *“Having therefore these :promises, beloved, let
us cleanse ourselves from all defilement of flesh and spirit, perfecting
holiness in fear of God.” *

 There is a theological problem for some at this point. They believe that
when we are born again from above, that our spirit is perfected at that
point.

 However, those who consider this verse say - If we let the Word mean what
it wants to mean and God say what He wants to say - then our human spirit is
not perfected until the time of the resurrection. I am inclined to hold this
latter view, but for me, it's not a “Thus says the Lord.”

 Yet - I *do* believe that Christ in us at the new birth *is* perfect. When
we allow Him to possess us and live His life through us by the Holy Spirit;
then the Perfect One give us victory and an overcoming life.

 In 1949 my wife and I were visiting in Minneapolis at a pastor's home for a
meal after Sunday morning church service. I happened to remark, “My
goodness!” - and immediately was reprimanded by the pastor's wife - “You *
have* no goodness! - only Christ in you is good!”

 This seems to line up with the tendency I feel comfortable with in an
interpretation on this verse. What is *your* “take” on it?

 And now - our Psalm for the day - *53:6 (53:1-8) “Oh, that salvation for
Israel would come out of Zion! When God restores the fortunes of his people,
let Jacob rejoice, let Israel be glad.” *The lot of Your people Father, is
difficult through their times of purging. You use our enemies to purge us,
to protect Your Name which is *Jealous*! We submit to all Your actions in
this manner that You deem are necessary for our perfection.

J.A.Watt

 *FOR ARCHIVE ARTICLES -- Web:http://2rbetter.org/pipermail/mailing/*