Bert Thomson Memorial

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 13:50:49 PDT 2011

August 13, 2011

 *Albert James Thomson - March 20, 1925 - August 4, 2011*

 Albert (Bert) Thomson was called to his eternal home on August 4, 2011. In
his last days he was visited by all his children and many of his grand
children and great grand children, all who told him of their love and
respect for him. He never lost his quick sense of humour or his politeness
with the care staff and family. Although the last days were stressful, he
brought his family together, not just to grieve our loss, but to share
memories with him and each other. To the end, he enjoyed visits from his
large family and many friends. He enjoyed when they read passages from the
Bible, or sang and played hymns and when we held church services in his
hospital room. As he sensed his life on earth was drawing to a close, he
said a long prayer of blessing for his family.

 Bert was born in Plumas, Manitoba and grew up farming. He attended a one
room schoolhouse, and as a youth learned to play the violin which he played
at dances and other events. In 1945, after the harvest was complete, he left
a note for his mother on the kitchen counter informing her that he had left
with his friend Murray Snell to find work in BC. He came to Port Alberni and
was employed on the survey crew for the water line from Sproat Lake to the
new pulp mill. He began work on the pulp machine when the mill opened and
later became a journeyman millwright. He married Irene Gaudet on June 20,
1947 and soon thereafter began a family with her. He became a Christian on
the last Sunday in July 1951 and became a very active member at First
Baptist Church, serving as a Deacon, Elder, Sunday School Superintendent,
Choir member, and sometimes the preacher.

 He loved sports of all kinds, playing ball, golf, and curling. He coached
many youngsters in several sports over the years. After his retirement he
played softball, curled and was a lifetime member of the golf club. In
recent years he was a Bulldogs season ticket holder. He played his violin in
church and with Phil's Harmonics.

 Bert was married for more than 64 years to Irene (nee Gaudet), and was
father to seven, grandfather to nineteen and great grandfather to eleven. He
is survived by his wife Irene, children Jim (Nancy) of Williams Lake, BC;
Shiela (Cliff) Neyedli of Coquitlam, BC. David (Katerina) of Port Alberni,
BC; Tom (Ruth) of San Antonio, Texas; Deb of Hay River, NWT; Bert (Sheila)
of Franklin, Tennessee; Shirley (Mike) Leger of Parksville, BC; and chosen
daughter Beth. He is also survived by his brother Murray (Marilyn) of
Kamloops, BC, his grandchildren and their spouses, his great grandchildren
and by numerous nieces and nephews and their children. He was predeceased by
his sister and brother in law, Janet and Ray Hubeli of Portage la Prairie,
MB, and his granddaughter Shasta Thomson.

 (The above Obituary for the Memorial Service Bulletin was written by Bert's
children, mostly by Tom we understand.)

 I (Jim Watt) married into the Gaudet Clan December 27, 1948, 18 months
after Bert married one of Marie's younger sisters Irene. Marie was next to
her mother Nanny Gaudet as a Christian, and 3 years later Bert was the
third. Today there are well over 40 Christians in the Gaudet clan of some
200 or so descended from 12 brothers and sisters. I feel it a privilege to
be part of this clan. Those of us who are spouses to the original Gaudet
members - have been received as part of this clan in a wonderful way!

 After our marriage, Marie and I pastored a church in Saskatoon,
Saskatchewan for a short while, and then made our residence in the United
States. I entered Northern Baptist Theological Seminary of Chicago in 1949,
and in 1951 we took a vacation to Port Alberni where I filled the pulpit of
the First Baptist Church for the vacationing pastor. It was on the last
Sunday of July that Bert Thomson raised his hand to accept Jesus Christ as
his Lord and Savior - and became a Christian. His mother-in-law Nanny Gaudet
rushed over to Marie and excitedly shared with her - “Bert raised his hand!
Bert raised his hand!” Marie asked her - “How did you know - Jim asked us
all to bow our heads and close our eyes!” She replied - “I looked!” Nanny
had invited the whole Catholic Gaudet clan to attend our closing service,
and told them that it would be okay to give a good offering, because it was
all going to Jim and Marie!

 The Bible my grandparents gave me when I was seven, still has tear stains
from Bert on it when Bert and I knelt at the altar and I led him in the
sinner's prayer to accept Christ.

 I highly regard my brother-in-law Bert Thomson, who is quite alive today,
just in another place and another state! He immediately followed on in a
discipleship mode to read and do the Bible every day! He was true-blue! He
years later told his name-sake son Bert Thomson Jr., that he sat on the
first row of the church that night in front of the piano, with his
mother-in-law Nanny Gaudet at his side, and a Presbyterian on the other, and
his Baptist brother-in-law at the pulpit. What else could he do but the
right and honorable thing?

 When Bert as a mechanic dropped a nut, from then on he did not swear - but
in *everything* gave thanks! We *all* could take his example here - and I
do! He would tell his family, grandchildren and great grandchildren - “I
love you! but *Jesus* loves you more!” What a family patriarch to his
family, church, city and friends. When pastors of other denominational
churches in the city couldn't find a pulpit supply when away - Bert filled
in for well over seven of these! I had the privilege of giving a short
cemetery address to some 100 family and friends. Bert asked if this could
precede the Memorial Service, so that guests would not be forced at the
reception to break off to go to the Cemetery! Could be interesting to see if
this thoughtfulness on Bert's part might spread to other interments!

 At the cemetery I referred to Acts 13:48 (13:48-51) as a word for Bert,
when the apostle Paul spoke to the church of Antioch of Pisidia; *“and as
many as were **appointed** to eternal life **believed**!”* We do not know
who God in His Sovereignty has appointed to eternal life. Our part is to
preach to *all* - and those who *have* God's appointment, *respond* by
believing! Bert was one of these. He said he could do no other when he
clearly heard the Good News of the Kingdom of God through Jesus' Atoning
death on the Cross!

 Jesus said in John 15:16 (15:1-16) - *“**You** did not choose me, **but I**
**chose you** and **appointed** you that you should go and bear fruit and
that your fruit should abide so that whatever you ask the Father in my name
he may give it you” (ESV 2002). **This* was *eminently true* of Bert! He
wanted to be a pastor, but God had him pastor a great family; a part in his
home church; and a part in the City Church of Port Alberni.

 At the Memorial Service later that day at the First Baptist Church - two
overflow rooms were overflowing! The town came out to honor Bert! His
4thson Bert Junior preached, and greatly honored his father.

 I look forward to the glad day when we all regather with Bert and Jesus and
those who have gone before - all those whom God *appointed* to eternal life
long before they were conceived - and like Bert when they heard the Good
News of God's Kingdom in Jesus - also responded by believing!

 Bert Thomson Jr. is an ordained minister in Nashville, Tennessee, number
two man in a world-wide fellowship of churches. He is soon moving to
Toronto, Canada to lead in a city fellowship of 8 leaders in a new dimension
of service in a city of some 5 million. Billy Graham founded the Lausanne
Conference some years ago. It meets every five years. At its last meeting in
South Africa - the key-note speaker from New York said that God's
preparation for the return of His Son will *not* be accomplished by nations
like the United States or Canada or Russia - but by *City Churches* such as
Antioch, Jerusalem, Ephesus, Corinth and Rome of long ago. Toronto, Calgary,
Vancouver, Montreal, Seattle, Portland, Spokane, Nairobi (Kenya) - will be
some of the cities God will use to pray back and prepare for the return of
His Son!

 We have a Pilot Prayer Team of 8 in the SeaTac Metroplex. We are a 7-fold
organic laser-telescope in the hands of Jesus, who uses us in a “Spiritual
Star Wars” context. The chief component part of this is “God's Bible Numeric
Outlined Interlinear Greek NT for Laymen.” Ivan Panin from Russia discovered
what God placed in the Hebrew and Greek Bible texts 1000's of years ago;
plus God's sentence, paragraph and section structure for each Bible book.
Computers weren't available in Panin's day - so by hand with 43,000 pages,
he prepared the texts for the 27 NT books. He died in 1942. In 1945 I
started putting his Greek and English texts together in an outlined form. I
too had to wait for computers to reach a level, and my grandson Keelan to
give me an updated website with data-processed undergirding. From 2007 to
2010 I completed the first draft of this on the Website. I have proof-read
this 4 times. It is now in the Printer's hands, and soon I will be
proof-reading this final text. Then it can come into your hands.

 The second component part of this outlined laser-telescope is the “City
Church” concept with an Eldership in the Gate of each city church. This is
what Bert Thomson Jr will be soon doing in Toronto!

 Marie and I drove all the way home from Port Alberni to Federal Way last
Thursday, so I could be a part of a TV production at TBN in Federal Way on
Friday. Two of us were interviewed on this program concerning God's desire
for Israel. My part touched upon this, and also concerning this Interlinear
production. This program will be shown next Friday August 19 at 8:30 am on
“Channel 20” in the Sea/Tac area.

 We will of course appreciate your prayers for the finalizing of the
Interlinear printing and publication, as well as its demonstration in our
area and in Toronto for the Pilot Prayer Team here and Bert Thomson's group
there.

 There is a team of some 20 involved in the Interlinear Production. Panin
and I are *not* the only ones involved in this. It is a *Team* effort! Panin
spent some 100,000 hours in his part. I have spent some 50,000 hours in
mine. But 1000's of hours have been spent by many of the team of 20,
especially my grandson Keelan and our printer. Thank you from the bottom of
my heart to all of you who have undergirded our team of 20.

 Your friends - Jim & Marie Watt

 *FOR ARCHIVE ARTICLES -- Web:http://2rbetter.org/pipermail/mailing/*