John 1:19-34

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 10:49:02 PDT 2011

2011-07-06 -

Friends - When the Gospel of John has been proof-read for the 5th time; and
an Introduction written - then Volume I of the Gospel Interlinear will be
ready for printing and publishing.

This fifth reading of the of the Gospel was a blessing to me as I proof-read
it again - catching a number of corrections that needed to be made. The NOTE
can be read on our Website - but will not appear on the printed product. J.

July 6, 2011

 *(From JOHN #2 - 1:19-34)*

 *B. 1:19-34 JOHN'S WITNESS TO PHARISEES RE HIMSELF AND JESUS*

*1. 1:19-28 JOHN'S TESTIMONY CONCERNING HIMSELF*

*a. 1:19 JOHN WITNESSES TO PHARISEES CONCERNING HIMSELF*

Kai HAUt*e* esTIN h*e* mar-tuRIa tou I*o*Anou,

*And this is the witness of :John,*

HOte aPIstei-lan pros auTON hoi IouDAIoi ex Ie-ro-soLUm*o*n

*when the Jews sent unto him from Jerusalem*

hi-eREIS kai LeuEItas HIna e-r*o*T*E*s*o*SIN [2064] auTON, Su tis ei?

*priests and Levites to ask of him, Who are YOU?*

 *b. 1:20 And he confessed and denied not; and he confessed [that], I am not
the Christ.*

kai h*o*-moLOg*e*-sen kai ouk *e*rN*E*sa-to; kai h*o*-moLOg*e*-sen HOti, E-G
*O* ouk eiMI ho ChrisTOS.

 *c. 1:21a **And they asked him, What then **are** you? *kai *e*R*O*t*e*-san
auTON, Ti su oun?

 *d. 1:21:b ** Are you Elijah? **E*-LEIas ei?

 *e. 1:21c **And he says, I am not. *kai LEgei, ouk eiMI.

 *f. 1:21d **Are YOU the prophet? *Ho proPH*E*t*e*s [4396] ei su?

 *g. 1:21e **And he answered, No. *kai a-peKRIth*e*, Ou.

 *h. 1:22a They said therefore to him, Who are you? that we may give answer
to them that sent us.*

EIpan oun auT*O*, Tis ei? HIna aPOkri-sin D*O*men tois PEMpsa-sin h*e*MAS.

 *i. 1:22b **What do you say of yourself? *Ti LEgeis peRI se-auTOU?

 *j. 1:23 JOHN'S CLEAR ANSWER*

Eph*e*, E-G*O* ph*o*N*E* [5456] bo*O*Ntos [994] en t*e* eR*E*m*o* [2048],

*He said, I am a voice of one crying in the wilderness,*

EuTHUna-te [2116] t*e*n hoDON KuRIou, kaTH*O*S EIpen *E*-SAI-as ho proPH*E*t
*e*s.

*Make straight the way of the Lord, as said Isaiah the prophet.*

 *k. 1:24 And they had been sent from the Pharisees.*

kai aPEstal-me-noi *E*san ek t*o*n Pha-riSAI*o*n [5330].

 *l. 1:25 THEY QUESTION JOHN'S RIGHT TO BAPTIZE*

kai *e*R*O*t*e*-san auTON, kai EIpan auT*O*,

*And they asked him, and said to him,*

Ti oun bapTIzeis [907], ei su ouk ei ho ChrisTOS, ouDE *E*-LEIas, ouDE ho
proPH*E*t*e*s?

*Why then do you baptize, if YOU are not the Christ, nor Elijah, nor the
prophet?*

 *m. 1:26-27 JOHN INSTEAD POINTS TO JESUS*

a-peKRIth*e* auTOIS ho I*o*An*e*s, LEg*o*n, E-G*O* bapTIz*o* en HUda-ti:

*:John answered them, saying, I baptize in water:*

MEsos huM*O*N ST*E*kei hon huMEIS ouk OIda-te, oPIs*o* mou erCHOme-nos,

*in the midst of you stands one who you know not, 27 who comes after me,*

hou ouk eiMI eG*O* Axi-os HIna LUs*o* auTOU ton hiMANta [2438] tou
hu-poD*E*ma-tos
[5266].

*the latchet of whose shoe I am not worthy to unloose.*

 *n. 1:28 These things came to pass in Bethany beyond the Jordan, where
:John was baptizing.*

TAUta en B*e*-thaNIa eGEne-to PEran tou IorDAnou, HOpou *e*n ho I*o*An*e*s
bapTIz*o*n.

 *2. 1:29-34 JOHN'S TESTIMONY CONCERNING JESUS*

*a. 1:29 CHRIST THE LAMB OF GOD*

T*e* aPAUri-on BLEpei ton I*e*SOUN erCHOme-non pros auTON, kai LEgei,
 *On the morrow he sees :Jesus coming unto him, and says,* Ide, ho amNOS
[386] tou TheOU, ho AIr*o*n [142] t*e*n ha-marTIan tou KOSmou!

*See, the lamb of :God, that takes away the sin of the world!*

 *b. 1:30 JOHN CLARIFIES HIS TESTIMONY*

HOU-TOS es-tin huPER hou eG*O* EIpon,

*This is he of whom I said,*

O-PIs*o* mou ERche-tai aN*E*R hos EMprosTHEN mou GEgo-nen: HOti PR*O*-TOS
mou *e*n.

*After me comes a man who is become before me: for he was first in regard of
me.*

 *c. 1:31 JOHN'S BAPTISM PREPARES FOR JESUS*

ka' 'G*O* ouk *E*dein auTON; all' HIna pha-ne-r*o*TH*E* [5319] t*o* Is-ra*E*
L,

*And I knew him not; but that he be manifested to :Israel,*

diA TOUto *E*Lthon eG*O* en HUda-ti bapTIz*o*n.

*for this came I baptizing in water.*

 *d. 1:32 JOHN WITNESSES TO SPIRIT AS A DOVE ON JESUS*

Kai e-marTUr*e*-sen [3140] I*o*An*e*s, LEg*o*n [HOti],

*And John witnessed, saying [that],*

TeTHEa-mai to PNEUma ka-taBAInon h*o*s pe-ri-steRAN ex ou-raNOU; kai
Emei-nen ep' auTON.

*I have beheld the Spirit descending as a dove out of heaven; and he abode
upon him.*

 *e. 1:33 THE FATHER: WHO HAS SPIRIT AS A DOVE - BAPTIZES IN THE HOLY
SPIRIT!*

ka' 'G*O* ouk *E*dein auTON: all' ho PEMpsas me bapTIzein en HUda-ti,
eKEI-NOS moi EIpen,

*And I knew him not: but who sent me to baptize in water, HE said to me,*

Eph' hon an Id*e*s to PNEUma ka-taBAInon, kai MEnon ep' auTON,

*Upon whoever you shall see the Spirit descending, and abiding upon him,*

HOU-TOS es-tin ho bapTIz*o*n en PNEUma-ti HaGI*o*.

*the same is he that baptizes in the Holy Spirit.*

 *f. 1:34 And I have seen, and have witnessed that this is the Son of :God.*

ka' 'G*O* he*O*ra-ka, kai me-marTUr*e*-ka HOti HOU-TOS es-tin ho huiOS tou
TheOU.

 *NOTE**: *1:19-28. - Here is a good example of how each of us ought to be -
in our witness concerning Jesus. John did *not* elevate himself as a cousin
of Jesus. But in every way possible he points to Jesus as the Appointed One
of God - the Son of God - who is *so worthy* - that all John can do is point
to Him and elevate Him! It is *Jesus*, not us, who is the *only* key to
every man's salvation. And not only does He provide salvation for each of us
through His “Finished Work” - but He is also the baptizer in the Holy
Spirit!

 We are identified with Jesus in His death, burial and resurrection
according to Romans chapter 6; and He is the One that the Father has
appointed to grant us the Holy Spirit through Spirit-baptism. J. Edwin Orr
explained it this way to Billy Graham: “We are like an empty glass placed in
a sink. The water (Christ) fills us as the tap is turned on. *This* is the
baptism into Christ by the Holy Spirit. Then the water continues running
into a plugged sink - until the glass is completely submerged in water. *
This* is Christ baptizing us into the Holy Spirit. We are now in Christ and
He in us.” Probably none of John's hearers at this time understood the full
significance of these his words of explanation. Later he says - “I must *
decrease*, but *He* must *increase*. John's death eventually made this fully
possible. We must be *dead to ourselves*, that Jesus be seen pre-eminently
in each of our lives too!

 Now look at John 1:29-34. How John magnifies the Lord Jesus here. He seems
to make it all so clear. So then why do so few of us *apprehend* in Jesus
what John experienced in *his* life? Because these things are spiritually
discerned! Mark 8:34 is the key. To follow Jesus, we must move on from
salvation to *full discipleship*. Jesus did *not* ask us to make converts. *
God* does that. We are to receive God's converts and *make disciples* out of
them. Dawson Trotman, Founder of the “Navigators,” in his pamphlet “Born to
Reproduce,” eminently makes this clear. Oswald Chambers in “My Utmost for
His Highest,” does the same. We *must* first *deny* all rights to our
self-life; then we take up our cross, the full will of God for our lives as
outlined in the New Covenant provided by Jesus; and thirdly we follow Jesus
in the *same spirit* in which *He* followed the Father in His earthly life,
as the Son of Man. “Personal, passionate devotion to Jesus,” is the key. How
many of us join the ranks of the George Mullers, Rees Howells and Oswald
Chambers? According to them, not many. But we all have the invitation,
opportunity and privilege to become members of the “John the Baptist”
example. “Lord - by Your grace, lead and help *many* of us to become such
disciples!” J.A.Watt

 *FOR ARCHIVE ARTICLES -- Web:http://2rbetter.org/pipermail/mailing/*