Luke 11:1-28

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 09:51:31 PDT 2011

July 3, 2011

Until the Gospels are completed for the Printer with final Proof-reading, I
am doing no other new writing. But the notes on the reading below from the
Gospel of Luke are so relevant and important, that though mailed initially
less than a year ago, with your forbearance, I am remailing it.  Jim

 *(From: LUKE #21 - 11:1-28)*

 *F. 11:1-13 MODEL PRAYER WITH IMPORTUNITY*

*1. 11:1-4 MODEL PRAYER FOR DISCIPLES*

*a. 11:1 REQUEST OF A DISCIPLE*

Kai eGEne-to, en t*o* EInai auTON en TOp*o* tiNI pro-seuCHOme-non,

*And it came to pass, as he :was praying in a certain place,*

h*o*s ePAUsa-to [2974], EI-PEN tis t*o*n ma-th*e*T*O*N auTOU pros auTON,
KUri-e,

*that as he ceased, one of his disciples said unto him, Lord,*
 DIda-xon [1321] huMAS proSEUches-thai, kaTH*O*S kai I*o*An*e*s eDIda-xen
tous ma-th*e*TAS auTOU.

*teach us to pray, even as John also taught his :disciples.*

 *b. 11:2a And he said to them, When you are praying, say, Father, Hallowed
be your :name.*

EIpen de auTOIS, HOtan proSEUch*e*s-the, LEge-te, PAter, ha-gi-asTH*E*t*o*
[37] to OnoMA sou.

 *c. 11:2b **Your :kingdom come. *elTHAt*o* h*e* ba-siLEIa [932] sou.

 *d. 11:3 Give us day by day our :daily :bread.*

ton ARton [740] h*e*M*O*N ton e-piOUsi-on [1967] DIdou h*e*MIN to kath' h*e*
MEran.

 *e. 11:4a And forgive us our :sins; for we ourselves also forgive every one
indebted to us.*

kai Aphes h*e*MIN tas ha-marTIas h*e*M*O*N; kai gar auTOI aPHIo-men panTI
oPHEIlon-ti h*e*MIN.

 *f. 11:4b And bring us not into temptation.*

kai m*e* ei-seNEGk*e*s [1533] h*e*MAS eis pei-rasMON [3986].

 *2. 11:5-13 IMPORTUNITY IN PRAYER FOR HOLY SPIRIT*

*a. 11:5-7 HOW TO PRAY*

Kai EIpen pros auTOUS, Tis ex huM*O*N HExei PHIlon,

*And he said unto them, Which of you shall have a friend,*

kai poREUse-tai pros auTON me-so-nukTIou, kai EIp*e* auT*O*,

*and shall go unto him at midnight, and say to him,*

PHIle, CHR*E*-SON [5531] moi treis ARtous;

*Friend, lend me three loaves;*

e-peiD*E* PHIlos mou pa-reGEne-to ex hoDOU PROS me, kai ouk Ech*o* pa-raTH*E
*s*o* [3908] auT*O*;

*6 since a friend of mine is come unto me from a journey, and I have nothing
to set before him;*

ka' 'KEInos Es*o*-then a-po-kriTHEIS EIp*e*, M*E* moi KOpous [2873]PAre-che:

*7 and HE from within shall answer and say, Do not trouble me:*

*E*d*e* h*e* THUra [2374] KEklei-stai [2808], kai ta paiDIa mou met' eMOU
eis t*e*n KOIt*e*n [2845] eiSIN;

*the door is already shut, and my little children are with me in :bed;*

ou DUna-mai a-naSTAS DOU-NAI soi?

*I cannot rise and give you?*

 *b. 11:8 THE FORCE OF IMPORTUNITY*

LEg*o* huMIN, ei kai ou D*O*sei auT*O* a-naSTAS

*I say unto you, Even if he will not rise and give him*

diA to EInai PHIlon auTOU,

*because he :is his friend,*

diA ge t*e*n aNAIdi-an [335] auTOU e-gerTHEIS D*O*sei auT*O* HOs*o*n CHR*E*
zei.

*yet because of his :importunity he will arise and give him as many as he
needs.*

 *c. 11:9 IMPORTUNITY ENCOURAGED*

ka' 'G*O* huMIN LEg*o*, aiTEIte [154], kai doTH*E*se-tai [1325] huMIN;

*And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you;*

z*e*TEIte [2212], kai heuR*E*se-te [2147]; KROUe-te [2925], kai a-noiG*E*se-tai
[455] huMIN.

*seek, and you shall find; knock, and it shall be opened to you.*

 *d. 11:10 THREE CLEAR PROMISES*

pas gar ho aiT*O*N lamBAnei [2983]; kai ho z*e*T*O*N heuRIskei [2147];

*For every one that asks receives; and who seeks finds; *

kai t*o* KROUon-ti aNOIge-tai [455].

*and to him that knocks it is being opened.*

 *e. 11:11 QUESTION*

TIna de ex huM*O*N ton paTEra aiT*E*sei ho huiOS ichTHUN,

*And of which of you that is the father shall the son ask a fish,*

m*e* anTI ichTHUos Ophin [3799] auT*O* e-piD*O*sei?

*and he for a fish give him a serpent?*

 *f. 11:12 Or again shall ask an egg, will he give him a scorpion?*

*e* kai aiT*E*sei *o*ON [5609], e-piD*O*sei auT*O* skorPIon [4651]?

 *g. 11:13 WHY PRAY? BECAUSE OF REVELATION OF PARENTAL RELATIONSHIP*

ei oun huMEIS, po-n*e*ROI huPARchon-tes,

*If you therefore, being evil,*

OIda-te DOma-ta a-gaTHA diDOnai tois TEKnois huM*O*N,

*know **how to give good gifts to your :children,*

POs*o* MALlon ho paT*E*R ho ex ou-raNOU

*how much more shall the Father who **is** from heaven*

D*O*sei PNEUma [4151] HAgi-on [40] tois aiTOUsin auTON?

*give **the** Holy Spirit to them that ask him?*

 *G. 11:14-28 KINGDOM TEACHING LEADS US TO KEEP THE WORD*

*1. 11:14-26 THE KINGDOM OF JESUS ABOVE THAT OF SATAN*

*a. 11:14a And he was casting out a dumb demon.*

Kai *e*n ekBALl*o*n daiMOni-on [1140] k*o*PHON [2974].

 *b. 11:14b MARVELING FOLLOWS MIRACLES*

eGEne-to de, tou dai-moNIou e-xelTHONtos, eLAl*e*-sen ho k*o*PHOS;

*And it came to pass, when the demon was gone out, the dumb spoke; *

kai eTHAUma-san [2296] hoi OCHloi.

*and the crowds marveled.*

 *c. 11:15 RANK BLASPHEMY!*

tiNES de ex auT*O*N EIpan,

*But some of them said, *

En Be-el-zeBOUL [954] t*o* ARchon-ti t*o*n dai-moNI*o*n ekBALlei ta
daiMOni-a.

*By Beelzebul the prince of the demons he casts out the demons.*

 *d. 11:16 And others, trying him, sought of him a sign from heaven.*

HEte-roi de, peiRAzon-tes [3985], s*e*MEIon ex ou-raNOU eZ*E*toun par'
auTOU.

 *e. 11:17 JESUS CORRECTS UNSPOKEN THOUGHTS*

auTOS de, eiD*O*S auT*O*N ta di-a-no*E*ma-ta [1270], EIpen auTOIS,

*But HE, knowing their :thoughts, said to them,*

PAsa ba-siLEIa eph' he-auT*E*N di-a-me-ris-THEIsa [1266] e-r*e*MOUtai [2049];

*Every kingdom divided against itself is made desolate;*

kai OIkos ePI OIkon PIPtei.

*and a house **divided against a house falls.*

 *f. 11:18 AN APPROPRIATE RESPONSE*

ei de kai ho Sa-taNAS eph' he-auTON di-e-meRISth*e*, p*o*s staTH*E*se-tai h*
e* ba-siLEIa auTOU?

*And if :Satan also is divided against himself, how shall his :kingdom
stand?*

HOti LEge-te en Be-el-zeBOUL ekBALlein me ta daiMOni-a.

*because you say that I cast out demons by Beelzebul.*

 *g. 11:19 JESUS THROWS THEIR QUESTIONING ON THEIR SONS*

ei de eG*O* en Be-el-zeBOUL ekBALl*o* ta daiMOni-a,

*And if I by Beelzebul cast out :demons,*

hoi huiOI huM*O*N en TIni ekBALlou-sin? diA TOUto auTOI huM*O*N kriTAI
[2923] Eson-tai.

*by whom do your :sons cast out? therefore shall THEY be your judges.*

 *h. 11:20 RELATION OF GOD'S KINGDOM AND DEMON DELIVERANCE*

ei de en dakTUl*o* [1147] TheOU eG*O* ekBALl*o* ta daiMOni-a,

*But if I by God's finger cast out the demons,*

Ara EPHtha-sen eph' huMAS h*e* ba-siLEIa [932] tou TheOU.

*then is the kingdom of :God come upon you.*

 *i. 11:21-22 THE STRONG MAN ARMED*

HOtan ho is-chuROS [2478] ka-th*o*-plisMEnos [2528] phuLASs*e* [5442] t*e*n
he-auTOU auL*E*N [833],

*When the strong fully armed guards his own :court,*

en eiR*E*n*e* esTIN ta huPARchon-ta [5274] auTOU: ePAN de is-chuROte-ros
auTOU

*his :goods are in peace: 22 but when a stronger than he*

a-pelTH*O*N niK*E*s*e* [3528] auTON, t*e*n pa-noPLIan [3833] auTOU

*shall come upon and overcome him, he takes from him*

AIrei eph' h*e* e-pePOIthei [3982], kai ta SKUla [4661] auTOU di-aDId*o*-sin
[1239].

*his whole armor in which he trusted, and divides his :spoils.*

 *j. 11:23 Who is not with me is against me; and who gathers not with me
scatters.*

ho m*e* *o*n met' 'eMOU kat' 'eMOU estin; kai ho m*e* suNAg*o*n met' eMOU
skorPIzei [4650].

 *k. 11:24 STATE OF A DELIVERED DEMON*

HOtan to aKAthar-ton [169] PNEUma eXELth*e* aPO tou anTHR*O*pou,

*The unclean spirit when he is gone out of the man,*

diERche-tai di' 'aNUdr*o*n [504] TOp*o*n, z*e*TOUN aNApau-sein [372]; kai m*
e* heuRIskon,

*passes through waterless places, seeking rest; and finding none,*

to-te LEgei, Hu-poSTREps*o* [5290] eis ton OI-KON mou HOthen eX*E*Lthon.

*then he says, I will turn back unto my :house from where I came out.*

 *l. 11:25 And when he comes, he finds it empty, swept and garnished.*

kai elTHON, heuRIskei schoLAzon-ta [4980], se-sa-r*o*MEnon [4563] kai
ke-kos-m*e*MEnon [2885].

 *m. 11:26 A SOLEMN AND SERIOUS REVELATION*

TOte poREUe-tai, kai pa-ra-lamBAnei HEte-ra PNEUma-ta

*Then he goes, and takes along seven other spirits*

po-n*e*ROte-ra [4191] he-auTOU hepTA; kai ei-selTHONta ka-toiKEI eKEI:

*more evil than himself; and they enter in and dwell there:*

kai GIne-tai ta EScha-ta tou anTHR*O*pou eKEInou CHEIro-na [5501] t*o*n PR*O
*t*o*n.

*and the last state of that :man becomes worse than the first.*

 *2. 11:27-28 BLESSEDNESS OF KEEPING WORD ABOVE HONORING MARY*

*a. 11:27 JESUS SETS UP A CONTRAST*

E-GEne-to de, en t*o* LEgein auTON TAUta,

*And it came to pass, as he said these things, *

aPAraSA [1869] tis ph*o*N*E*N guN*E* ek tou OCHlou,

*a certain woman out of the crowd lifted up **her voice,*

EIpen auT*O*, Ma-kaRIA h*e* koiLIa h*e* baSTAsaSA se, kai maSTOI [3149] hous
eTH*E*la-sas [2337].

*and** said to him, Blessed the womb that bore you, and **the breasts which
you did suck.*

 *b. 11:28 A WORD WE ALL SHOULD HEAR!*

auTOS de EIpen,

*But HE said, *

MeNOUN, maKAri-os hoi aKOUon-tes ton LOgon tou TheOU, kai phuLASson-tes
[5442].

*Yes rather, blessed who hear the word of :God, and keep it.*

 *NOTE**: (2010-11-30) - 11:1-13 - *For George Muller of Bristol - every
opportunity to exposit the Scriptures, was to find something on *prayer*! *
Prayer* was a key occupation in the life of Jesus while on earth as the :Son
of man - specially His last three years of ministry. Check any of the great
saints of the Bible - OT or NT - and we will find examples of a life of
prayer. In the Moody Colportage book “Answers to Prayer” by George Muller,
the Preface has a brief outline of 6 points, how to always infallibly know
the will of God prior to praying. I memorized this in 1944, and have found
it works for me just as successfully as it did for Mr. Muller. In “Appendix
B” of the same book, he has 5 points how to always *Prevail* in prayer, once
the will of God is surely known.

 *Importunity* is one of the 5 points in the second outline, and I use the
example of Luke 11:5-13 for this, as well as Luke 18:1-8, and Daniel chapter
10. C.T. Studd is also an example of *importunity* - *not* to give up *until
* the answer comes through. George Muller had 50,000 exact answers to prayer
requests for the financial needs for 10,000 orphans. The equivalent for $8
million came in, without ever asking anyone for help *except God alone*!
What a testimony. And for Studd - on his way to China as a missionary under
the CIM, on ship-board he heard the fiery testimony of a Salvation Army
lass. He said, “Lord, I want *her* as my wife!” God said, “You've got her.”
Following the service, he excitedly shared with her this revelation. Her
response: “Charlie Studd, if you were the last man on earth, I wouldn't
marry you!” He went back to God, who said, “She's the one - keep drilling.”

 When they arrived in Shanghai, he found his temporary base, but she went on
to Peking. His first letter to her was, “12 reasons why you should marry
me.” Her response: “13 reasons why I shouldn't.” They got up to 20 points in
their exchange of letters. But he wouldn't give up. He believed in *
importunity*. So he fasted for 2 weeks. Then God said, “Charlie, you can
stop fasting. We've got through!” Her next letter was, “Okay Charlie - when
do you want to get married?” They had 4 daughters, and later when Charlie
went to Africa as a missionary, no mission board would send him - so his
wife in England was his mission board for the next 20 years! They saw one
another but 2 weeks in that interval before he died in Africa.

 Churchill in his very elderly years gave the speech for the graduation
class at Eton College, his old Alma Mater. It was extremely short - *“Never,
never, never, never, never give up!”* - That's it! That's *importunity*.
That is the illustration in all of the prayers of Jesus and George Muller.
This is the message I use for myself. This is the challenge I leave for *all
* of us. 66 years ago God challenged me with the Discovery of Ivan Panin on
“His Bible Numerics.” I soon learned of Panin's disappointment that he would
die in 1942 without seeing an Interlinear Greek NT from the two Bible
Numeric New Testaments that he produced in 50 years. I believed God laid it
on my heart to do this for God first, and Mr. Panin second. This month, I
will complete this project, 66 years later. I'm currently on chapter 14 of
the Gospel of Luke. Luke is the last of the 27 NT books I am working on, and
the 250th of the 260 chapters. It will be completed this 12th month of this
year. Importunity. “Never, never, never, never, never give up!” J.A.Watt

 *FOR ARCHIVE ARTICLES -- Web:http://2rbetter.org/pipermail/mailing/*