Exodus 5:1-7:18

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Sat May 14 16:44:59 PDT 2011

May 14, 2011

 *FEB 2 - EXODUS 5:1-7:18 - PHARAOH: HIS PERSECUTION*

 *1. 5:17-18 (5:1-18) PHARAOH: HEART HARDENED. “But he said, You are idle,
you are idle: therefore you say, Let us go and sacrifice to Jehovah. 18 Go
therefore now, and work; for there shall no straw be given you, yet shall
you deliver the number of bricks.” *This is a terrible situation to be in;
yet You designed it Father, that You could make all things work together for
good! We submit to Your at times mysterious ways! *Hallowed be your name!*

 *2. 5:20-21 (5:19-21) MOSES: BLAMED FOR PHARAOH'S PERSECUTION. “And they
met Moses and Aaron, who stood in the way, as they came forth from Pharaoh:
21 and they said unto them, Jehovah look upon you, and judge; because you
have made our savor to be abhorred in the eyes of Pharaoh, and in the eyes
of his servants, to put a sword in their hand to kill us.” *This is bad! Yet
Father, we thank You that Moses obeyed You in spite of these temporary
consequences! *Your :kingdom come!*

 *3. 6:2-5 (5:22-6:8) MOSES: SIXTH COMPLAINT OVERCOME. “And God spoke unto
Moses, and said unto him, I am Jehovah: 3 and I appeared unto Abraham, unto
Isaac, and unto Jacob, as God Almighty; but by my name Jehovah I was not
known to them. 4 And I have also established my covenant with them, to give
them the land of Canaan, the land of their sojournings, in which they
sojourned. 5 Moreover I have heard the groaning of the children of Israel,
whom the Egyptians keep in bondage; and I have remembered my covenant.” Your
:will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 6:9 (6:9-27) MOSES: SEVENTH COMPLAINT OVERCOME. “And Moses spoke so
unto the children of Israel: but they did not listen to Moses for anguish of
spirit, and for cruel bondage.” *We can understand the reaction of Israel at
this juncture; yet it is still not justified in the light of Your spoken
intent, Father! *Our :daily :bread Give us this day.*

 *5. 7:4 (6:28-7:5) MOSES: EIGHTH COMPLAINT OVERCOME. “But Pharaoh will not
listen to you, and I will lay my hand upon Egypt, and bring out the children
of Israel from among them.” *Father, You are a God Who is able to multiply
signs and wonders to confirm Your Spoken Word! *And forgive us our :debts,
as we also have forgiven our :debtors.”*

 *6. 7:11-12 (7:6-13) PHARAOH: CONTEST BETWEEN GOD AND SATAN. “Then Pharaoh
also called for the wise men and the sorcerers: and they also, the magicians
of Egypt, did in like manner with their enchantments. 12 For they cast down
every man his rod, and they became serpents: but Aaron's rod swallowed up
their rods.” *Satan too can work lying signs and wonders through his
servants: but *they* are limited when compared with You, Father! *And bring
us not into temptation!*

 *7. 7:17 (7:14-18) PHARAOH: PRECIPITATES JUDGMENT. “Thus says Jehovah, In
this you shall know that I am Jehovah: behold, I will strike with the rod
that is in my hand upon the waters which are in the river, and they shall be
turned to blood.” *Only two of the ten plagues could Pharaoh's servants
duplicate! From then on it was all of You, Father! *But deliver us from the
evil one.*

 *NOTE**: 6:1 (5:22-6:8) “And Jehovah said unto Moses, Now shall you see
what I will do to Pharaoh: for by a strong hand shall he let them go, and by
a strong hand shall he drive them out of his land.” *The following seven
verses are as powerful as anything in the Bible! Here there are five
*indications
of intent* applied to the church, and eight *unconditional prophetic futures
*!

  There are amazing lessons for us in this portion of Exodus. Five times in
6:1-5 a peculiar tense in this Hebrew text appears. It is the *long
tense*in the past, preceded by the consonant “vav”. In the
Introduction of the
Thomas Newberry Reference Bible of 1890, on page xiii he places this as a
Diagram with the the following notation: “Permanency. An established fact.
Or perfect tense.”

 No other language in the world but Hebrew contains this unique
construction. No wonder God in 1890 let Ivan Panin discover His Bible
Numerics, which only appear in the Hebrew and Greek languages - the two
languages *He* chose to have His 33 known writers write their 66 books.

 Newberry calls the grammatical and numeric factors of the Hebrew language
especially - “*God's Urim and Thummim*”, or “Lights and Perfections”. This
is his exact notation on this - “An action or event in the past, having this
stamp upon it, ceases to be a mere historical circumstance, a point in the
expanse of past time; it gives it a present value, marking it out as having
a *spiritual present application*, and it may be, a prophetical future; and
also it stamps on future predictions *the certainty of accomplished facts*.”

 Now to apply this insight, these five examples of the Hebrew perfect tense,
which God uses here 5 times. Newberry has this further comment upon the
extreme importance of this unique construction: “This remarkable and
important use of the “vav” or conjunction “and” is peculiar to the Hebrew
Scriptures. The continuous character of the long tense is thus connected
with transactions of the past, and *permanency* stamped upon them, so that
what might otherwise have been regarded as temporary actions or events, are
marked thereby as permanent facts, stereotyped, so to speak, *for future use
*.

 “By the use of the *vav* the decision of the short tense is *also* stamped
on the present; and the certainty of accomplished facts on future
predictions.”

 Note carefully the 5 examples of this unique construction:

1. 6:1 - “Then Jehovah *said*”

2. 6:2 - “And God *spoke* unto Moses”

3. 6:2b - “And *said* unto him”

4. 6:3 - “I *appeared* unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob”

5. 6:5 - “I *have remembered* My covenant”

 Now God intends that we as Christian believers in the light of the above -
should ask ourselves - *how* do these 5 unusual declarations by God
have *present
application* for us today? For by this construction God intends us to
understand that *they do*!

 After these 5 significant declarations with present time application, God
follows up with 8 “short tenses” in the future. When this is accompanied
with the Subjunctive aorist, it produces “Decision in the future!
Certainty!”

 Newberry went 5 times through the entire Hebrew OT, carefully examining
each occurrence of the “vav connective” in the above two examples. Again, no
other language but Biblical Hebrew has this unique construction. God
designed it, and God has utilized it to enable Him to express *exactly* what
He desires. Then He follows it up in the Greek text of the NT with the
amazing discoveries of Ivan Panin starting in 1890. Like Thomas Newberry -
he *too* spent 100,000 hours perfecting his discovery.

 Now look at the 8 prophetic futures appearing here - with great relevancy
in application for you and me!

1. 6:6 - “*I will bring you out* from under the burdens of the Egyptians.”
Because of the preceding 5 unique declarations of God for Israel - it also
applies to us! - we can assuredly rest in the knowledge that through Christ,
God has brought us out from the burdens of *the world*!

2. “and *I will rid you* of this bondage!” Believe it! Apply it! Receive
God's application for you and me!

3. “And *I will redeem you* with a stretched out arm, and with great
judgments!” And - *this* also applies to us!

4. 6:7 - “and *I will take you to Me* for a people.” And this God *did* for
Israel - and this He *has* done through Christ for the church in the One New
Man!”

5. “and *I will be to you* a God!” - and *how He was* to Israel as recounted
in the 10 plagues that defeated Pharaoh, and the victories under Joshua, and
the Judges, and the good kings of Judah. And how *much greater* through
Christ has He allowed us to pass through the Riven Veil into intimacy with
God.

6. “And *you shall know* that I am Jehovah your God which brings you out
from under the burdens of the Egyptians.” And let us apply *this* to
ourselves also!

7. 6:8 - “And *I will bring you in* unto the land concerning which I did
swear to give IT to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob.” This land from the
Nile to the Euphrates is for Israel by the fiat of God! Under Solomon it was
so - and under Christ it *will* be fully restored. And for us - the *eternal
rest* of the New Jerusalem and Paradise, as seen by Paul and John!

8. “And *I will give IT* to you for a heritage: I am Jehovah!” And just as
God's promise to Israel will come to pass as shown by Paul in Romans 11 - so
will all of God's spiritual promises to the church be an eternal heritage.

 Psalm 32:1-2 - *“Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, Whose sin
is covered. 2 Blessed is the man unto whom Jehovah imputes not iniquity, And
in whose spirit there is no guile.” *Confession of sin and Your forgiveness,
Father: what a blessing to the sons and daughters of men! And it is all
because of Jesus and His Atonement! What a blessed covenant on our behalf is
between You and Your Son! Our Psalm here for FEB 2, abundantly confirms this
marvelous revelation from this portion of Exodus! J.A.Watt

 *FOR ARCHIVE ARTICLES -- Web:http://2rbetter.org/pipermail/mailing/*