Matthew 24-25

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Thu May 5 09:23:53 PDT 2011

May 5, 2011

 *JAN 29 - MATTHEW 24-25 - COMING AGAIN OF JESUS*

 *1. 24:2 (24:1-2) DESTRUCTION OF THE TEMPLE. “But Jesus answered and said
to them, Do you not see all these things? Amen I say unto you, In no wise
shall one stone be left here upon another, that shall not be thrown down”
(NNT). *Father, You have no sentiment that is mawkish concerning things that
sin and rebellion have corrupted. We thank You for Your integrity concerning
things of principle in Your Kingdom! *Hallowed be Your Name!*

 *2. 24:14 (24:3-28) SIGNS OF HIS COMING. “And this :gospel of the kingdom
shall be preached in the whole inhabited earth for a witness unto all the
nations; and then shall the end come.” *It is *then* that the end shall
come. This is a Kingdom principle! May we not Father, water it down by some
extreme dispensational teaching born of man. *Your :kingdom come!*

 *3. 24:30 (24:29-31) THE SECOND COMING. “And then shall appear the sign of
the Son of :man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn,
and shall see the Son of :man coming on the clouds of the heaven with power
and great glory.” *This is not just a prophecy: this is a prophetic *sign*!
How powerful You are, Father, concerning Your Son! *Your :will be done, As
in heaven, so on earth!*

 *4. 24:34-35 (24:32-51) PARABLE OF THE FIG TREE. “Amen I say unto you, This
race shall not pass away till all these things come to pass. 35 The heaven
and the earth shall pass away, but my :words shall not pass away.” *May we
not let the traditions of man affect our interpretation of Scripture! Teach
us a sound hermeneutic! Teach us to let the Word of God mean what it wants
to mean! Teach us to let You say what *You* want to say! *Our :daily bread
give us this day.*

 *5. 25:13 (25:1-13) PARABLE OF THE TEN VIRGINS. “Watch therefore, for you
do not know the day nor the hour.” *Why should You wish to violate this
precept, Father? What is in human nature, even of believers, that we so
glibly offer our interpretations, and forget to *tremble* at Your Word
(Isaiah 66:2)? *And forgive us our :debts, as we also have forgiven our
:debtors!*

 *6. 25:29 (25:14-30) PARABLE OF TALENTS. “For unto every one that has shall
be given, and he shall abound: but from him that has not, even what he has
shall be taken away.” *May we learn to fear from this, Father, and recognize
that the Fear of Jehovah is the beginning of wisdom! May we not be so
positive as to forget these are negative warnings! *And bring us not into
temptation!*

 *7. 25:40 (25:31-46) JUDGMENT OF THE NATIONS. “And the King shall answer
and say to them, Amen I say unto you, Inasmuch as you did it unto one of
these my :brethren, these least, you did it unto me.” *Lord Jesus, You are
our King! We acknowledge You as the Father's choice. You Who were with God -
divested Yourself of the prerogatives of Deity, and as Son of man walked by
faith like us; that satisfactory Atonement by a Mediator might be made! *But
deliver us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: 24:22 (24:3-28) “And except those :days had been shortened, no
flesh would have been saved: but for the elect's sake those :days shall be
shortened.” *What a solemn declaration! Father, we trust You; we lean hard
upon You; we resign our eternal welfare completely into Your hands and the
hands of Your Messiah!

 These two chapters are Jesus' direct reply to the questions of His 12
disciples. Because for 3 years they had been asking for clearer explanations
for all of his public teachings - therefore His answer near the end of His 3
year ministry has special significance. It will behoove us to pay special
attention to His answer here.

 In 70 AD under Emperor Titus of Rome, the destruction of Herod's Temple
took place exactly as the Son of God foretold. Not *one* prophecy of our
Lord failed in fulfillment in every detail. According to Deuteronomy
18:21-22, *any* who prophesies what does not come to pass, has spoken *
presumptuously*, that which Jehovah has *not* spoken, and Moses by the
Spirit enjoins us *not* to fear such presumptuous speakers. What Bible
prophets have spoken in the Name of Jehovah, like those of our Lord Jesus -
have *all* come to pass. I fear in our generation, too many glibly speak
what the Lord has not spoken, and such should be challenged and taken to
task - for their sake. For the day will come when all such must stand before
our glorious Lord at His Second Coming before His B*E*ma Judgment seat, and
*answer* for our deeds done in the body. Glib words of prophecy spoken in
His Name that do *not* come to pass, will be counted as deeds done in the
body - and in *that* day will be judged! It is proper and loving that we *
warn* such careless prophets ahead of time.

 We all need to remember James 3:1 (3:1-18) - “*Be not* *many teachers*, my
brethren, knowing that *we* shall receive *greater condemnation*!” Will we
listen to this warning of the Holy Spirit through James, our Lord's brother
after the flesh? Probably many of us will not. But - we *will* remember this
word when we stand before our Lord at His Judgment Seat!

 Matthew 24:14 is a most significant verse. Back in the late 1960's Marie
and I led in a church of some 100 or so. We were preaching through the Bible
in a Year, and for each week's reading we selected a key verse, and some in
the congregation set it to music. The church children memorized it in song,
and taught it to the congregation. The above verse was one of the 52 verses
memorized for that year. I still sing it regularly. Do you think this verse
espouses a condition prior to the end? I do. Would this position change the
theology of many in these latter days? I believe it should. The tragedy of
today is that we adjust the Bible to fit our theology - *not* our theology
to fit the Bible! What do you think God expects?

 I have selected each of the key verses in this 7-fold context back in the
1980's. This involves 366x7 verses. God's Bible Numeric Greek and English NT
was a great help for this New Testament, and Panin's Bible Chronology based
on selected portions of the OT Hebrew text, helped in this selection. Also
the contextual arrangement of the Thomas Newberry Reference Bible of 1890
has been a great help. He spent 100,000 hours perfecting this text with his
careful notes. Many beside myself have found it a great help. It is still
available today by “Kregel Publications” of Grand Rapids, Michigan.

 Psalm 29:1-2 - *“Ascribe unto Jehovah, O you sons of the mighty, Ascribe
unto Jehovah glory and strength. *  *2** Ascribe unto Jehovah the glory due
unto his name; Worship Jehovah in holy array,.” *Help Father - Raise up Your
mighty ones, Your men of Valor, Your* a*postles and prophets, Your Dread
Champions! *Then* praise and worship will prosper! Psalm 29 accords with
this 29th day of January. J.A.Watt

 *FOR ARCHIVE ARTICLES -- Web:http://2rbetter.org/pipermail/mailing/*