Genesis 11

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 15:38:38 PDT 2011

April 8, 2011

 *JAN 9 - GENESIS 11 - THE BABEL CRISIS*

 *1. 11:1, 4 (11:1-4) BABEL. “And the whole earth was of one language, and
of one speech. 4 And they said, Come, let us build us a city, and a tower,
whose top may reach unto heaven, and let us make us a name; lest we be
scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth.” *This is the seed of
Cain, the seed of the serpent, they who have eaten of the tree of the
knowledge of good and evil. We reject man's high place, Father. *Hallowed be
Your Name!*

 *2. 11:9 (11:5-9) CONFUSION OF TONGUES. “Therefore was its name called
Babel; because Jehovah did there confound the language of all the earth: and
from there did Jehovah scatter them abroad upon the face of all the earth.”
*What better way to stop man in his pride and arrogance? Father, we have
perfect confidence in You to handle any breaking out of man to his own hurt.
*Your :kingdom come.*

 *3. 11:10-11 GENERATION OF SHEM. “These are the generations of Shem. Shem
was a hundred years old, and fathered Arpachshad two years after the flood:
11 and Shem lived after he fathered Arpachshad five hundred years, and
fathered sons and daughters.” *With the seed of Cain and Nimrod handled, now
Father You continue on with building the godly seed of Shem. How wise You
are in Your dealings! *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 11:16-17 (11:12-17) ARPHAXAD, SALAH, EBER. “And Eber lived four and
thirty years, and fathered Reu: 17 And Eber lived after he fathered Peleg
four hundred and thirty years, and fathered sons and daughters.” *Here You
give us the significant line and members of that line: Eber and Peleg. May
we not pass over so lightly some of these names of significance from Your
point of view! The earth divided in the the days of Peleg: this is
significant in the light of Nimrod! *Our :daily bread Give us this day.*

 *5. 11:24-25 (11:18-25) PELEG, REU, SERUG, NAHOR. “And Nahor lived nine and
twenty years, and fathered Terah: 25 and Nahor lived after he fathered Terah
a hundred and nineteen years, and fathered sons and daughters.” *Now we are
getting down to the beginnings of the Hebrew race, and the chosen man to be
the seed of this beginning. Man's endless genealogies are a waste of time,
but Yours Father, are not to be passed over lightly. *And forgive us our
:debts, as we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 11:26-27a (11:26-30) TERAH. “And Terah lived seventy years, and
fathered Abram, Nahor, and Haran. 27a Now these are the generations of
Terah.” *How majestically You work Your purposes out through the human race
Father! Like a mighty river, man may temporarily slow You up; but soon You
break through in Your continuing purposes. *And bring us not into
temptation.*

 *7. 11:31-32 FROM UR TO HARAN. “And Terah took Abram his son, and Lot the
son of Haran, his son's son, and Sarai his daughter-in-law, his son Abram's
wife; and they went forth with them from Ur of the Chaldees to go into the
land of Canaan; and they came unto Haran, and lived there. 32 And the days
of Terah were two hundred and five years: and Terah died in Haran.” *This
was not really what You Father, had in mind. It was a place of delay until
Your purposes through Abram could more clearly come to him. *But deliver us
from the evil one.*

 *NOTE**: *Until God dealt with the Babel Crisis through Nimrod, He did not
see fit to proceed with the founding of the Hebrew nation through Abram. For
this time, the seed of Cain was dealt with, and through Ham the seed of
Nimrod. God came down to see what Nimrod and his cohorts had planned. By
confusing their tongues at this time, He put an end to their aims. But 2000
years later He reversed this process and all tongues for a day once again
understood one another. The Day of Pentecost in Acts 2 (Shavuot in Hebrew) -
picked up through the church a new dimension. However even this only
initially started a new covenant entity on earth for God's purposes.
Maturity and fulfillment of this won't take place until our Lord Jesus
returns and sets up His Millennial Kingdom.

 Like Seth, now Shem follows through with a godly line for God's purposes.
Eber started the Hebrew line. Then came Terah the father of Abram. But once
again the call of God came through Abram the son, not Terah the father. When
Abram left Ur of the Chaldees, he had to wait in Haran (meaning delay) until
his father Terah died.

 Genesis 11 then consummates God's preparation for the founding of the
Hebrew nation through Abram. Though it was actually through Jacob and his 12
sons in Egypt that backed the fulfillment of the promise God gave to Abram.
Can you see the care of the Master-chess-player in all of these moves? Can
man foresee the wisdom of God in there moves? Absolutely not. But then
neither can Satan - else he would not have led through Judas in the
crucifixion of the Lord of Glory. How he must have rued the day of this
calamitous mistake on his part!

 Day 9 concludes this 2000 year foundation. The next 500 year segment lays
the founding of the nation Israel, which takes precedence in history from
God's point of view from then on. Do the nations see it this way? Not at
all. But Satan sees a bit more than man, and through Haman and Hitler among
others sought to eradicate God's chosen nation. J.A.W.

 *TO UNSUBSCRIBE – Please email: **
jmbetter-unsubscribe at skagitattic.no-ip.org*

 *FOR ARCHIVE ARTICLES – Web:** **
http://skagitattic.no-ip.org/pipermail/jmbetter/** *