Genesis 6-9

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 16:47:09 PDT 2011

April 6, 2011

 *JAN 7 - GENESIS 6-9 - NOAH: FLOOD AND COVENANT*

 *1. 6:13 (6:1-13) THE FLOOD: ITS CAUSE. “And God said unto Noah, The end of
all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through
them; and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth.” *Father, You do
nothing except You reveal it unto Your servants the prophets. You revealed
unto Noah Your decision to destroy the wicked element of man. This is a
Kingdom principle! We will take heed to Your outlook concerning these
things. * Hallowed be Your Name!*

 *2. 6:17-18a (6:14-22) THE FLOOD: THE ARK. “And I, behold, I do bring the
flood of waters upon the earth, to destroy all flesh, in which is the breath
of life, from under the heaven; everything that is in the earth shall die.
But I will establish my covenant with you.” *This Kingdom principle is
exemplified here through the life of Noah. He believed and obeyed You
Father, and walked in the promise of Your covenant. *Your :kingdom come.*

 *3. 7:4-5 (7:1-24) THE FLOOD: ITS DURATION. “For yet seven days, and I will
cause it to rain upon the earth forty days and forty nights; and every
living thing that I have made will I destroy from off the face of the
ground. 5 And Noah did according unto all that Jehovah commanded him.” *We
thank You Father for the example and obedience of Noah. Yes, and we thank
You for Your provision on His behalf. *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so
on earth.*

 *4. 8:1 (8:1-14) THE FLOOD RECEDES. “And God remembered Noah, and all the
beasts, and all the cattle that were with him in the ark: and God made a
wind to pass over the earth, and the waters subsided.” *Great is Your
faithfulness, O God our Father! Here we see it manifested to Noah and his
family. We too can trust you that all our necessary needs will always be
met. *Our :daily bread Give us this day!*

 *5. 8:21 (8:15-22) THE FLOOD: ITS ALTAR. “And Jehovah smelled the sweet
savor; and Jehovah said in his heart, I will not again curse the ground any
more for man's sake, for that the imagination of man's heart is evil from
his youth; neither will I again strike any more everything living as I have
done.” *What a blessed promise is this, O Father! *Rest* comes from the
offering of sacrifice. Our rest is in Your Son, Jesus! * And forgive us our
:debts, as we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 9:16 (9:1-17) THE FLOOD: RAINBOW COVENANT. “And the bow shall be in the
cloud; and I will look upon it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant
between God and every living creature of all flesh that is upon the earth.”
*We bless you Father that to this day we the sons of Adam do see the sign of
this faithful Covenant, this *Everlasting Covenant**. **And bring us not
into temptation.*

 *7. 9:23 (9:18-29) THE FLOOD: IMMEDIATE AFTERMATH. “And Shem and Japheth
took a garment, and laid it upon both their shoulders, and went backward,
and covered the nakedness of their father; and their faces were backward,
and they saw not their father's nakedness.” *What a sober judgment is this
upon Canaan, and what a tribute to Ham and Japheth. We acknowledge Your
righteousness in this, Father. *But deliver us from the evil one.*

 *NOTE**: *Bible believers have no problem receiving this flood account.
They do not see it as a local flood, but a world-wide flood, just as reads
the Biblical account. They see the waters as 15 feet above the highest
mountains of that day. With tides ripping across the face of the watery
earth 4 times a day for 150 days - the tiny clam fossils on the tops of our
highest mountain peaks today - are then easily explained. With the finding
of mammoth flesh with grass in their mouths, buried in ice, and their flesh
able to be eaten today - this too finds reasonable explanation because of
this Bible flood account.

 For the modernists, humanists and unbelievers - they have an impossible
task to reasonably explain earth's present condition apart from this flood
account. Darwinian Evolution can't even begin to raise up reasonable answers
for honest inquiring young minds.

 Looking at all of this from another angle - just consider this three-story
ark the size of a football field! It's pattern all came from God to Noah.
And - it took 120 years to build! Quite possibly unbelievers helped Noah
build what was safety for him, but destruction for them.

 I preached through the Bible in a year in 1960 in Illinois. At the end of
the year, I quizzed our congregation as to their favorite Bible characters.
Abraham? Moses? Joshua? I had no takers from our women. I asked them, How
come? They replied that a man like Abraham who asked his wife to tell
Pharaoh's servants that she was his sister - and risked being raped - could
certainly not be their favorite Bible character.

 In surprise I asked - Then who would be your favorite? *Noah* - they
replied. How could you choose him? I asked. Any man who built for 120 years
an ark to save his wife and family, is a most worthy husband and father,
they replied. Why, I would never have thought of such a first choice, I
replied. That's because you're a man - was their answer that set me
effectively in my place.

 But perhaps the outstanding lesson of this day's devotional is the rainbow
covenant God gave, ensuring that not again would earth be destroyed by a
flood of waters.

 Some count this as the second Bible covenant. When God covered the
nakedness of Adam and Eve with skins in the Garden of Eden following their
sin - it was as it were a blood covenant looking forward to the full caring
for sin through the Atoning work of His Son to come.

 Following Period 1 of Bible Chronology - Adam to Flood: 1656 years - 4003
to 2347 BC, God make the Noahic Covenant. Notice that “blood” consummated
each of these covenants. The Abraham Covenant, 451 years, 2346 to 1896 BC -
is one of the *three* greatest of all landmarks in Bible History. Calvary in
30 AD is the third of these three significant landmarks, and brings
consummation to all previous blood covenants.

 There are 8 great Bible Periods, each ending with blood, seven ending with
covenants. The Noahic Flood ends Period 1 - and commences Period 2. J.A.W.

 *TO UNSUBSCRIBE – Please email: **
jmbetter-unsubscribe at skagitattic.no-ip.org*

 *FOR ARCHIVE ARTICLES – Web:** **
http://skagitattic.no-ip.org/pipermail/jmbetter/** *