Genesis 5

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 11:09:46 PDT 2011

April 4, 2011

 *JAN 6 - GENESIS 5 - ENOCH AND ADAM'S DESCENDANTS*

 *1. 5:1-2 (5:1-5) GENERATIONS OF ADAM: SETH. “This is the book of the
generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God
he made him; 2 male and female he created them, and blessed them, and called
their name Adam, in the day when they were created.” *How accurate are Your
accounts with Adam, Father. How well Moses wrote them down. However, we
especially bless You for the *last* Adam. We welcome Your rule in
Christ. *Hallowed
be Your Name!*

 *2. 5:6, 8 (5:6-11) ENOS AND CAINAN. “And Seth lived a hundred and five
years, and begot Enosh: 8 and all the days of Seth were nine hundred and
twelve years: and he died.” *Come Holy Spirit, and convince the world of
sin, righteousness and judgment following death. Teach us to number our
days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom. *Your :kingdom come.*

 *3. 5:12, 14 (5:12-17) MAHALALEEL AND JARED. “And Kenan lived seventy
years, and begot Mahalalel: 14 and all the days of Kenan were nine hundred
and ten years: and he died.” *The godly line gets better; but the ungodly
seed *worse*. The path of the just is as the shining light, that shines more
and more unto the perfect day. *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on
earth.*

 *4. 5:21, 22a, 24 (5:18-24) ENOCH. “And Enoch lived sixty and five years,
and begot Methuselah: 22a and Enoch walked with God after he begot
Methuselah three hundred years: 24 and Enoch walked with God: and he was
not; for God took him.” *Enoch is the most significant event up to this time
in Bible Chronology! Father, we would glean all we can from this man and
passage. We would know the Kingdom principles involved behind his
translation. *Our :daily bread Give us this day!*

 *5. 5:25, 27 (5:25-27) METHUSELAH AND LAMECH. “And Methuselah lived a
hundred eighty and seven years, and begot Lamech: 27 and all the days of
Methuselah were nine hundred sixty and nine years: and he died.” *There was
an ungodly Lamech in Cain's ungodly seed; but there is this godly Lamech,
the father of Noah. And there are peculiar lessons from the life of
Methuselah! *And forgive us our :debts, as we also have forgiven our
:debtors.*

 *6. 5:29 (5:28-31) NOAH. “And he called his name Noah, saying, This same
shall comfort us in our work and in the toil of our hands, which
comesbecause of the ground which Jehovah has cursed.”
*What a comforting word from a perceptive father! Heavenly Father, we know
that it is from You that Lamech received this comforting word. *And bring us
not into temptation.*

 *7. 5:32 SHEM, HAM AND JAPHETH. “And Noah was five hundred years old: and
Noah begot
Shem, Ham, and Japheth.” *Only these four with their four wives survived the
watery holocaust destined to come in 120 years. Methuselah had a prophetic
connection with this event, and You Father orchestrated it all! *But deliver
us from the evil one.*

 *NOTE**: Genealogies are placed by God in His Bible for a purpose. One
member for a long time tried to have a friend come to his church to hear his
pastor preach. Finally the friend came. But to the dismay of the inviting
one, his pastor chose this Sunday night Genesis 5 to read and preach from.
Then to his utter surprise, when an invitation to accept Christ came, his
friend walked forward. At the close of the service, he incredulously asked
him - “How come?” “Well,” was the reply, “I couldn't help but notice that
every person your pastor mentioned in that chapter, died! And I thought, I'm
going to die too! And I'm not prepared. So I responded!”*

 *Have you ever wondered why all those listed in this chapter lived so long?
Especially Methuselah?*

 *Careful scientists have discovered that before the great flood in Noah's
day, there was an icy shield between the sun and close to the earth. This
protected life on earth from the harmful ultra violet rays. So life up to
that time was longer because of this protection. This shield fell to earth
during the flood. Harmful rays from then on caused life on earth to shorten.
*

 *And what of Enoch? Out of 245 dates from Adam to Christ that are deducible
from Bible evidence, 21 are multiples of seven - and Enoch is the first of
these 21. God by this wanted to point out that the translation of Enoch in
His sight - draws special attention to him for us. He knew we would notice
that Enoch's close walk with God was the prime reason for his translation,
so that he did not see death in the normal way. He and Elijah both share
this unusual exit from earthly life.*

 *And there is no doubt that God wanted us to notice Noah. Much more will be
said about him before the Genesis account proceeds much further. J.A.W.*

 *TO UNSUBSCRIBE – Please email: **
jmbetter-unsubscribe at skagitattic.no-ip.org*

 *FOR ARCHIVE ARTICLES – Web:** **
http://skagitattic.no-ip.org/pipermail/jmbetter/** *