Covenant & Oaths

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 19:16:10 PST 2011

February 22, 2011

 *COVENANT AND OATHS - 2011-02-22*

 In the Bible Numeric confirmed Chronology by Ivan Panin, there are 245
deducible dates from Bible evidence - which are then confirmed by the
discovered Bible phenomenon in 1890.

 Three of these dates stand out unusually - upon which all of Bible History
hangs as it were - and which makes unusual sense in the understanding of
this History.

 The first of these three is the Abrahamic Covenant of 1896 B.C. It is in
Genesis 17, not Genesis 12 or 15, that the actual Covenant that God makes
with Abraham takes place. “*And when Abram was ninety years old and nine,
Jehovah appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am God Almighty (El
Shaddai); walk before me, and be perfect. **2** **And I will **make my
covenant between me and you**, and will multiply you exceedingly.”
*Circumcision
is the sign God required to make His covenant with the Hebrew people - to
become effective. And - Abram was accepted in the “righteousness which is by
faith” *prior* to circumcision. Abraham was 99 after his Covenant name
change, when this, the Abrahamic Covenant, was made between God and man, and
accepted by Abraham. Isaac was born the following year to Abraham and Sarah.

 So in Genesis 17:1-2, this most significant covenant was enacted. But in
Genesis 22:9-18, the LORD swore by *His oath* that what He had initiated
with Abraham by Covenant, He *now* is confirming with His oath. *“And they
came to the place which God had told him of; and Abraham built the altar
there, and laid the wood in order, and bound Isaac his son, and laid him on
the altar, upon the wood. **10** **And Abraham stretched forth his hand, and
took the knife to slay his son. **11** and the angel of Jehovah called unto
him out of heaven, and said, Abraham, Abraham: and he said, Here am I. **12*
* And he said, Lay not your hand upon the lad, neither do anything unto him;
for **now I know** that you fear God, seeing you have not withheld your son,
your only son, from me. **13** **And Abraham lifted up his eyes, and looked,
and, behold, behind **him** a ram caught in the thicket by his horns: and
Abraham went and took the ram, and offered him up for a burnt-offering in
the stead of his son. 14 And Abraham called the name of that place
Jehovah-Jireh (He will see and provide): as it is said to this day, In the
mount of Jehovah it shall be provided.** **15** And the angel of Jehovah
called unto Abraham a second time out of heaven, **16** **and said, By **myself
have I sworn, says Jehovah**, because you have done this thing, and have not
withheld your son, your only son, **17** **that in blessing I will bless
you, and in multiplying I will multiply your seed as the stars of the
heavens, and as the sand which is upon the seashore; and your seed shall
possess the gate of his enemies; **18** **and in your seed shall all the
nations of the earth be blessed; because you have obeyed my voice.” (ASV
'01)*

 To understand the deep significance of these 2 sovereign actions initiated
by God, it is important to see Hebrews 6:13-20. *“For when :God made promise
to :Abraham, since he had none greater to swear by, **he swore by himself**,
**14** **saying, Surely blessing I will bless you, and multiplying I will
multiply you. **15 * *And thus, having patiently endured, he obtained the
promise. **16** **For men swear by the greater: and in every dispute of
theirs the oath is final for confirmation. **17** **Wherein :God, intending
to show more abundantly to the heirs of the promise **the **immutability of
his :counsel**, mediated with an oath**;** **18** that by **two immutable
things, in which it is impossible for God to lie**, we may have strong
encouragement, who have fled for refuge to lay hold of the hope set before *
*us**: **19** **which we have as the soul's anchor, **a hope** both sure and
firm and entering into what is within the veil; **20** **where as forerunner
Jesus entered for us, having become a high priest unto the age after the
order of Melchizedek.” (NNT)*

 This passage by the apostle Paul - ties together the Abrahamic Covenant and
the Oath of God in a manner that cannot be misunderstood or mistaken.

 And notice: Though God had Abraham spare Isaac from sacrifice by providing
a ram - yet in the case of *His* Only Begotten Son - for *our sakes* - He
spared Him not - but through the sacrificial death of the Son of Man - the
Second Adam - all the human race has the opportunity and privilege of
forgiveness of sin, from which there is no other source for such
forgiveness.

 But the Second great date in Bible History is the Temple of Solomon in 986
B.C., 480 years following the Exodus. It is the *beginning* of the Temple
that God marks out as especially significant, not its completion. God calls
the things that are not, as if they already were! The Temple in His sight is
as good as done once it has its beginning! See 1 Kings 6:1 for this
documentation: *“And it came to pass in the four hundred and eightieth year
after the children of Israel were come out of the land of Egypt, in the
fourth year of Solomon's reign over Israel, in the month Ziv, which is the
second month, **that he began to build the house of Jehovah**.” (ASV '01)*

 For me, the two significant aspects of the Temple were the two pillars at
its entrance, Jachin and Boaz. See 1 Kings 7:21 (13-22) for the history
behind these two pillars. *“And he set up the pillars at the porch of the
temple: and he set up the right pillar, and called the name of it Jachin;
and he set up the left pillar, and called the name of it Boaz. **22** **And
upon the top of the pillars** was lily-work: so was the work of the pillars
finished.” *These pillars were not on the porch of the Temple as *supporting
pillars* - they were there as “witnessing” pillars. They hearken back to the
Abrahamic Covenant as Boaz (It is strength) - and to the oath in Jachin (He
shall establish). Every time the priests entered the Temple, they passed
between these two huge “witnessing” pillars, looking back 1000 years to the
Abrahamic Covenant. They also by faith looked forward to *Jesus*, who is
God's Living Covenant to us, and *our* Covenant from God. “Boaz” spells this
out, and “Jachin” established the New Covenant in Jesus by the oath of God.
The Lily-work bowls at the top of these two pillars contain oil. First the
blood through sacrifice - then the oil of the Holy Spirit.

 The Third great date, and the last of the 245 deducible Bible dates - is
4032 A.D. - *Calvary* and the Resurrection supremely - followed up by the
Ascension and the Giving of the Holy Spirit on Pentecost, 50 days after the
Resurrection.

 These 3 dates are intertwined. The Abrahamic Covenant is fulfilled in the
New Covenant which is Jesus! The Temple Pillars are an illustration or
Parable of both - looking back 1000 years to the Abrahamic Covenant, and
looking forward 1000 years to the New Covenant.

 There are 21 significant dates including these 3 most significant ones -
all multiples of “7”. They too shed light on these 3. And all 245 deducible
dates and the 8 deducible periods - throw light on God's historic unfolding
of His purposes to completely offset Satan's machinations, and prepare His
Son's return as King of kings and Lord of lords.

 Nebuchadnezzar's first dream, as supernaturally interpreted by Daniel,
comes next in importance to the above 3. It unfolds history from the 4 great
empires seen in the dream Image - and leads us to see the final
Kingdom-empire of God, led by His Son, that will obliterate all memory as it
were - of the preceding 4 empires.

 I have preached sermons on the 21 significant dates referred to above. In
the beginning I pondered why God would mark the Temple of Solomon out so
significantly. But as I let Him unfold *His thinking* on this event, I wound
up with over a dozen messages on the Temple of Solomon. One day I returned
to a church in Portland where I had previously introduced to them this great
event. As I walked up the aisle to the pulpit to continue, I heard a little
boy say to his mother, “Mother, look! There's the Temple-man!”

 I challenge each of us to look into these 3 great events. Let us read up on
them; meditate upon them. God will open our eyes to *His thinking* behind
them. Jim Watt

 *TO UNSUBSCRIBE – Please email: **
jmbetter-unsubscribe at skagitattic.no-ip.org*

 *FOR ARCHIVE ARTICLES – Web:** **