Interlinear Introduction

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 10:19:24 PST 2011

January 11, 2011

 *INTRODUCTION - THE OUTLINED INTERLINEAR GREEK NT - 2011-01-07*

 *A. BRIEF HISTORY - And Background for this Project*

 *My grandfather, James Alexander Watt emigrated from Scotland with 4
brothers in the mid 1850's. He settled in Gananoque, Ontario, and supervised
a 7-year apprenticeship for my father in his machine shop. After two years
more of university, my father James Wilfred Watt entered the field of steam
and electrical engineering. This followed the steps of James Watt of
Greenock, Scotland, who perfected the steam engine with 6 improvements,
chiefly the condenser, which conserved the heat of the steam, making it some
40% more efficient. The existing steam engine in the Scottish mines of that
day was only 5% efficient.*

 *At the age of 44 he was chief engineer of the smelter in Trail, BC, at
which time he married my mother, Eva Maude Mosher, who had served as a nurse
in France during World War I with the Canadian forces. My father's oldest
son from his first marriage, was chief electrical engineer over 22 Rainier
Mills in BC.*

 *When people asked me - with your name, are you related to the steam engine
inventor? I reluctantly confessed that I was, though all the Watt genes had
skipped me, and I could scarcely fix a bicycle. A relative of mine in
Anacortes, Washington said, “Cheer up - your ancestors and family may excel
in steam, electrical and computer power - but God has given you a gift
in spiritual
power!” I have felt better ever since.*

 *My paternal grandmother remarried George R. Gordon after the death of my
grandfather in Vancouver, BC. During depression days, he very faithfully
left a 32 page pamphlet from England each month for 4 years entitled, “The
Lily Series”, at a farm we leased from him in Langley BC. I read each of
these starting at the age of 10, and because I heard no clear gospel message
in our church, determined to go to England when old enough, and find God
there.*

 *After graduating from the Alberni District High School on Vancouver Island
in 1941, I worked as a Lumber clerk, invoicing for ships and railroad cars
leaving Port Alberni. I was chagrined to find the number of errors I made at
the first. Following a very serious resolve, I aimed to have no errors pass
my desk in the future, by double and triple checking all that went through
me. They doubled my salary within a year, and promised me a far better job
if I went to University and obtained an accounting degree. This “checking”
habit starting when I was 18, is something that has carried forward into
this Interlinear Project. *

 *In 1943 at the age of 19, I was attending the University of British
Columbia in the Field of Accountancy. I still did not know God, but I did
regularly read my Bible, based on 4 years of Bible Study I did from the age
of 10-14 through our denominational take home Sunday School paper. While I
was reading Psalm 107:23-24 in the Fall of 1942, I sensed God saying to me -
“Join the Navy - and I'll reveal Myself to you.” I did so in June of 1943,
and read 100 books in the next 9 months trying to find Him. I finally turned
to the Bible and the NT. When I got to the book of Romans I discovered the
way to know Him, but I felt the cost was too high. However, after hours of
really praying for the first time in my life, I promised that if He'd reveal
Himself to me - I'd serve Him according to the Bible the rest of my life. No
answer. So I prayer it twice more. On the third time I knew He had heard me.
He then led me to go and tell my former Communist chum from UBC, that I
could no longer study communism with him, because I had made a commitment to
God according to the Bible. As soon as I found myself making this
confession, immediately God put the Spirit of the new birth within me, and I
knew Him for the first time. This was at Passover 1944, and I was then 20
years old. I have never looked back, and it definitely gets better year by
year.*

 *Just before joining the Navy, I went on a Vancouver Island tour with the
Vancouver Kitsilano Boys' Band under Arthur Delamont, so it was natural for
me to join the Navy as a Seaman-Bandsman.*

 *That Summer, Dr. Jewell of Calgary, Alberta, a Russian Jew, approached me
as a new believer and asked, “You are called to the ministry, no?” I
assented that was so. “You would like to know Greek, no?” Again I assented.
“If I taught you Greek, would you study the works of the great Ivan Panin?”
Never heard of the great Ivan Panin. But if for a little study I could get
free Greek, why not? So I immediately agreed!*

 *That was the last I saw of Dr. Jewell. No one in a church of 400 could
remember having seen him. I knew he couldn't have been an angel, because he
left me with 2 pamphlets on Panin, listing some 20 publications either by
him or concerning him. 20 years later someone heard me recount the above,
and clearly informed me of Jewell's residency in Calgary.*

 *I was drafted from HMCS Naden in Esquimalt outside of Victoria to HMCS
Cornwallis in Nova Scotia just before World War II ended. If one had a job
or school to go to following the War, he could get an immediate discharge. I
had neither. Desperately I stayed up in the ship's laundry all one night
fasting and praying for a school to go to. At 5:00 in the morning, God
showed me something wrong I had done before I was a Christian, and assured
me that except I made it right, I would stay in the Navy an extra year. I
made full plans to right the wrong, and immediately received the words,
“Write George R. Hawtin, Bethel Bible Institute, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan,
and apply as a student.” No address given, but it got there. I was admitted,
and the Captain of our naval base shipped me to Victoria for my discharge,
and then on to Saskatoon. I spent one year at this Institute. This was God's
working, because I became well-known to the principal, and when the Revival
broke out in February of 1948, I was invited to share as one of the 7 elders
at the Summer Camp Meeting. All of this is extremely significant, as will
soon appear.*

 *I was now getting Classical Greek through Dr. Leddy - Rhode's Scholar and
head of the Department of Greek at the University of Saskatchewan, so I
didn't need to study the works of the great Ivan Panin. But I still had the
2 pamphlets Dr. Jewell had given me and thought - “Why not?” I received a
discharge gift from the Navy, and I was unmarried, so I could afford to
order all the books listed there either by or concerning Panin. So I did.
When they arrived the Fall of 1945, I discovered in the Introduction to
Panin's Bible Numeric Greek NT this note: - When it went to press at the
Oxford Press of England for printing, Panin discovered too late that Bible
Numerics even established for every NT Book what was a true Sentence,
Subdivision, Paragraph and Section or Chapter Equivalent. I am a great
Outliner - so I thought - “What Book should I try this out on? I'll do
Ephesians, because it is one of my favorites.”*

 *I can still - 66 years later - remember the awe that came when I surveyed
Ephesians in this new Outlined form! By 1967 I had the entire NT of Panin
outlined, both English and Greek, in an interlinear format. I typed up his
complete English translation, and then by hand copied out his Greek text in
an interlinear format, summarizing it all in the 4-fold pattern Panin had
discovered by Bible Numerics. I already had seen how he established his
Greek text through Bible Numerics with no alternate readings. The 3000
alternate readings in the Westcott and Hort Greek NT, soon gave way to the
original reading, from among the 7 quite complete NT Greek Manuscripts, plus
the 1000's of Greek fragments.*

 *Like Panin, I did all of this without computer. Then in 1996 I was given a
computer and printer by a friend and taught how to use them. In 2000 AD, my
oldest son Jim provided me with a Website. Then in 2007 my grandson Keelan
Long updated this Website by undergirding it with data-processing. When he
looked at my format for the Interlinear, he said that it was difficult to
read everything in black type. He suggested I leave the Outline titles and
the English type in black, but the Greek text in lighter type, creating a
contrast. You will note that this I have done. He has also done some
innovative work on the home page - making it easier for readers to find the
various divisions in the Interlinear, Embryonics, and other divisions.*

 *In the summer of 1946 I returned to complete my university work, this time
at the University of Saskatchewan, where I graduated cum laude in 1948. I
took part in the Intervarsity Christian Fellowship, and was chosen as their
speaker and teacher for some 100 students. Their male quartet traveled the
Province of Saskatchewan, and invited me along as their speaker. They knew
about my goal back then to put Panin's Bible Numeric Greek and English NT
into an Interlinear format, accompanied with my notes. They said - “Hurry up
and get it done, and we'll all buy copies.” I fear some are already in
heaven!*

 *Because God had called me to the ministry even before I knew Him - now
that I had come to an intimate relationship with Him - I not only enrolled
for a pre-theological degree at the University, but also at St. Andrew's
College - one of our United Church of Canada Seminaries. I soon discovered
however, how “modernistic and liberal” was my denomination and this
seminary. I won 6 of the students to the Lord. But twice every lecture the
OT professor would say - “Where does that put your inspiration of
Scriptures?” Except for the unusual mathematical proof of the Scriptures by
Panin, I don't know if I could have stood! Dr. Oliver as founder and first
president of St. Andrews, was questioned by a minister: “Don't you know that
60% of the young men preparing for the ministry expect to be grounded in
Bible belief in your seminary? Aren't you afraid they will graduate like
this?” His reply - “Our Master was very wise in His parable of the mystery
of growth: first the blade - then the ear - then the full corn in the ear.
We have these boys 7 years. In the first 2 we can rid them of these
old-fashioned ideas - and in the next 5 years build into them something
better - and if one in 100 slips through our hands - we can afford to take
that chance!” This is wisdom from beneath! I soon resigned from 4 positions
in my denomination. It was largely God's Bible Numerics through Panin that
saved and delivered me! This Interlinear Greek NT is not mine - nor Panin's
- but God's. God led Panin to discover the phenomenon, though he was not the
first. Another one preceding him by a century was Dr. Astruc, a French
physician. However - it was Panin who brought the discovery through to a
successful conclusion with the Greek text and its English translation after
50 years and 100,000 hours labor. He died in 1942, disappointed that an
“Interlinear” had not been produced. He turned down the Jehovah's Witness
offer to do so, because they were a cult.*

 *So God soon laid it on my heart to do so in 1945 - though it has taken 66
years to see its fruition.*

 *B. Format for This Project. There are many different Interlinear Greek
NT's on the market. There are 9 areas of difference between this Bible
Numeric edition and the majority of others that are available.*

 *First, it is an Outlined Interlinear Greek NT, based on the Discovery of
Ivan Panin, just before his Greek Bible Numeric text went to press. It was
then too late to incorporate this recent discovery into his text, but it
does appear in his English Version. I took this latter and worked backwards,
and updated his Greek text to accord with the English one. I then outlined
each sentence with a title of eight words or less. These I gathered up and
summarized these titles into subdivision; the subdivisions into paragraphs;
the paragraphs into sections; and the sections into Book Summaries.*

 *Textual Critics often spend up to 60% of their space and time seeking to
understand the original texts and its subdivision. With God's Bible Numeric
discovery by Ivan Panin and his 50 years of 100,000 hours of work - we now
can go directly to the text, and see wonders through this context that does
not appear in any other text.*

 *The second departure from regular interlinears, is that the Greek text is
transliterated, so that laymen who wish, can more easily handle it. It uses
the Berlitz method of transliteration, which capitalizes the accented
syllable, and hyphenates all other syllables not directly adjoining the
capitalized one. This aids in a more accurate pronunciation. Dr. Leddy
mentioned above, said that from Classical to Koine Greek, the 3 accent marks
ceased to have as great importance in both their usage and differences.*

 *The third departure - the English words in the translation do
notimmediately appear under its Greek equivalent. Rather, as Ken
Taylor in his
Living Bible made a thought by thought translation, so this interlinear has
clause by clause or sentence by sentence equivalents.*

 *Four - rather than formatting the texts in prose form, both English and
Greek are centered, as closely as possible clause to clause - or sentence to
sentence. This aids the layman to read the English text in its regular word
order, and eliminates the necessity of having another full translation at
the outer margin.*

*Winston Churchill and Dr. Peter Marshall also used this method. *

 *Five. The English translation is in black type, so that those not
interested in the Greek transliteration, can pick it up more easily.*

 *Six. The Strong's number when it appears with a significan Greek word,
follows that word in brackets, rather than requiring an extra line above.*

 *Seven. In Greek there are two forms for the letter “e” and “o”. So that
you may differentiate between the two, the long “e” and “o” are underlined.*

 *Eight. English “help” words in the translation that do not appear in the
original are in “Italics.” The Authorized King James version and most other
translations follow this same format.*

 *Nine. The “iota subscript” is a vestigial form standing for the letter
“iota” in ancient Greek. It helps to identify the Dative Cases as one of its
purposes. It is appreciated by advanced students. However, my computer does
not include this “subscript”, and because the majority of readers who will
use this Interlinear NT will not make use of it, it has been omitted.
Scholars can easily verify each occurrence.*

 *Ten. The Definite Article “the” in Greek is of great importance. Latin
does not have this part of speech. The King James Authorized Version is
declared to be a translation directly from the Greek, but the definite Greek
article is not correctly used. It seems apparent that the translators of the
611 AD version relied far more heavily on the Latin Vulgate than the Greek
originals. Panin has been very careful to give this Greek part of speech its
proper place. When it does not make sense to use it in his translation, he
puts it in as a “colon” (:) in front of the noun or verb form it modifies.
Those who understand the importance of this part of speech, will appreciate
being made aware of it presence.*

 *Eleven. Punctuation in the Greek differs in some points from English.
Because the Greek has been in our case transliterated into English letters,
I have taken the liberty to change into the Greek text, the English “colon,”
“semi-colon,” and “question.”*

 *Twelve. There is a “rough breathing,” and a “smooth breathing” in Greek.
The former has an apostrophe facing the word starting with a vowel. It has
been transliterated with “ ' ” in the transliteration. The “smooth
breathing” is not pronounced, and is traditionally not transliterated.*

 *Thirteen. But most of all, the two texts employed are those of Ivan
Panin's Numeric Greek and English New Testaments. There is absolutely no
deviation from Dr. Panin's Greek text. However a very few minor changes have
been made in his English translation. “Ye” has been replaced with “you”;
“whilom” has been replaced with “former,” because of its archaic nature. You
can trust that except for such very minor changes, you are reading exactly
as Panin himself made his translation, even to the punctuation. He was a
master of English, and though nearly 100 years have passed since he made his
translation, we could not feel justified in making any other changes. If you
purchase his translation, you can check how faithful we have adhered to his
text.*

 *Fourteen. Dr. Panin discovered there was no Lexicon or Dictionary accurate
enough for his requirements in producing his Greek NT. Perhaps one of the
best in his day showed no Numerics concerning the number of references to
the Name of “Moses” in the Bible. Had there been one extra reference,
Numerics would have been evident. He found the missing reference from this
Lexicon in the book of Hebrews. So Numerics even caught this error. So for
10 years, Panin worked in producing a Bible Numeric Greek Lexicon, with all
vocabulary words of the NT perfectly aligned together. Then and then only
was he able to produce this Greek text with no alternate readings. This
Lexicon also guided in making choice of the proper word in translating this
Greek text. “Washings” to replace “Baptism” is completely out of order
according to this.*

 *Fifteen. I am still in favor of a traditional Interlinear Greek NT for
serious students and scholars, who desire the Greek text non-transliterated,
and the English text placed word for word under the corresponding Greek
words. There is a possibility of one taking on this formidable task.*

 *Sixteen. Sentence Summary outlines are preceded by lower case letters of
the alphabet. The summaries are 8 words or less - like a newspaper headline
- to give an insight into the meaning of the sentence. A space is left above
each sentence. The summaries are not inspired. The reader is encouraged to
substitute his own summary where that in the text doesn't satisfy him.*

 *Seventeen. Subdivisions are preceded by Arabic Numbers; Paragraphs by
Upper Case Alphabetical letters; Sections or chapter equivalents by Roman
Numerals. Readers are encouraged to substitute their summaries for these
also, just like for sentences.*

 *Eighteen. It is interesting to note that only the 66 books of our Hebrew
and Greek bible show the Numerical phenomenon. The Apocrypha books of the
Bible do not have it - nor any other religious book of any other religion.
God has used “Mathematics” as His Signature to put His non-counterfeiting
mark upon His Word.*

 *Nineteen. Motivation on my part to produce this Interlinear - came because
of a former friend who pretended to be a friend of Panin also, but by an
Interlinear he produced unilaterally - violated so many of the above
principles, that for two years I could not even look at it. Then in the last
ten years I sensed God saying to me, “Why don't you produce for Me an
Interlinear Greek NT?” So at the age of 84 and with the help of my grandson,
I commenced this work which in 3 years is now complete.*

 *The importance for this brand of Interlinear in the light of “The
Automated Laser-Telescope” and “Spiritual Star Wars”, you as a reader will
be able to discern.*

 *C. Helpful Details and Additions.*

 *One. This Bible Numeric Interlinear Greek NT came out as individual
mailings with a NOTE attached to each one. For the printing - because of
space and cost - it was thought best to eliminate the NOTES in each case.
However, the complete Interlinear Greek NT with NOTES does appear on our
Website <www.2rbetter.org> under “Interlinear.” So for those readers who
wish to see what the NOTES might contain for all 260 NT chapters -
they areavailable.
*

 *Two. As you can note under “A” - the 12 Embryonic Revival Principles for
1948 in Northern Canada are also on our Website listed under “Embryonics.”*

 *Three. There is also an “Archive” Section on our Website, that has several
articles on Ivan Panin and Bible Numerics.*

 *Four. For those interested in documenting some of the statements in this
Introduction, you can go to our Website under “Interlinear”. At the bottom
of the “Notes on Numeric Interlinear NT by Ivan Panin” is a URL for the
Evangelical Fellowship of Canada. Click on that, and an article will come up
entitled “Reaching Unbelievers through Bible Numerics” written by Jim &
Marie Watt. Under one of 5 links entitled “Dr. Keith L. Brooks”, you will
find “A List of Dr. Ivan Panin's Works in Print”. There you will find copies
of both of Ivan Panin's Bible Numeric NT's. I would warmly recommend
“Absolute Mathematical Proofs @ $1.00 by Keith L. Brooks, 15 pp.; plus
“Mathematics Prove Holy Scriptures” @ $5.00, 158 pp. by Karl Sabiers.*

 *James Watt*

 *TO UNSUBSCRIBE – Please email: **