Interlinear Format?

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 17:31:06 PST 2011

January 11, 2011

 *GREEK INTERLINEAR NT FORMAT & PRINTING*

*HISTORY BEHIND THIS FORMAT*

*January 10, 2011*

 *December 7, 1941 was critical in the Days of World War II, especially for
Britain. Pearl Harbor brought the US and Britain together as Allies.
Churchill immediately came over to the States to consult with FDR re
finishing off Hitler in Europe, before taking on Japan in the Pacific. This
was agreed upon.*

 *While Churchill was in America, he was invited to address the joint houses
of Congress: both Senate and House of Representatives. He introduced his
speech by saying - that if the role of his parents had been reversed: and
his father was American and his mother English - he might have made it over
here as an American on his own!*

 *Following his speech, a cub reporter spotted that he had inadvertently
dropped one of its pages. He nabbed it, and it was printed on the front page
of leading newspapers across America.*

 *There were no speech writers in Churchill's day, and he agonized over
every word of each speech. (Lincoln followed the same pattern.) He first
dictated it to his secretary. Then he took this copy and worked it over
strongly - even word by word, making changes even up to speech time.*

 *The final copy is set out in “blank verse format”,*

*set out like the book of Psalms.*

*It looks like poetry, it brings it to life,*

*It gives him, I think, the rhythm -*

*it enables that great Churchill oratory.*

*Now here Behind the “Blood, sweat and tears” speech,*

*that is no more evident than in the final page.*

 *But on December 7, 1941, Dr. Peter Marshall, Pastor of New York's famous
Presbyterian Church, was asked to speak at West Point Military Academy to
the young Cadets. He felt he just had to change his message at the last
moment, and received permission to do so. It was a message exactly fitting
for young men who would within hours be called up to war - many losing their
lives!*

 *By the end of the decade he had the honor of being chosen as Chaplain of
the US Senate. Before he was 50, he died of a heart attack. His widow
Catherine wrote his biography, “A Man Called Peter,” but first she selected
10 of his sermons and entitled the book, “Mr. Jones - Meet the Master!” *

 *From the “Preface” we read the following words - “Printed sermons are
often as uninteresting as warmed-over potatoes. This is because they are
designed to be heard, and are dependent on the preacher's personality for
much of their effectiveness.*

*In the pages which follow, these difficulties have been largely surmounted
by the use of an unusual format. Peter Marshall always preached with a
complete manuscript before him. These sermons have been set up just as his
manuscripts were typed.*

*Grateful acknowledgment is made to Dr. Trevor Mordecai, formerly pastor of
the First Presbyterian Church of Birmingham, Alabama, who first suggested
this form to Dr. Marshall twenty years ago.*

*Originally intended for ease in reading, the style eventually became an
integral part of Peter Marshall's work. It adapted itself to his vivid
imagination and strong poetic streak.*

*On the printed page it conveys much of the force of his personality make
articulate, almost audible, the written word. We believe that this style
will add much to your reading enjoyment.”*

 *Catherine in 1949 felt God leading her to print up these 10 sermons in
this format.*

 *In 1941 I cut out and filed away Churchill's printed fallen Manuscript
page of this form of speech. Since then I have used his format to preparing
this Interlinear Greek manuscript.*

 *Then in 1945 I received a Commission from God to prepare a manuscript to
fulfill Ivan Panin's dream: An Interlinear Greek NT using his Greek and
English Bible Numeric texts.*

 *I had prepared the full NT/MS by 1967; I had typed up his entire English
NT on the above format, and inserted by hand the entire Greek NT. I then
outlined it all sentence by sentence - summarizing these into paragraph
subdivision; these into paragraphs; these into sections or chapter
equivalents; and these into complete NT Book Summaries.*

 *While in the above process, I heard God's voice, “Get My NT done!” I flew
out of bed very early in the morning, and have worked to fulfillment ever
since. I brought my wife Marie to Pilot Baseball games in Seattle in the
early 60's, and while she watched, I inserted the Greek text into this
format, plus the titling and summarizing process. I even missed a grand-slam
by pitcher Broadbender!*

 *Then in 2007 I got the word to put all of this on computer,
transliterating the Greek text. I finished this task 3 years later, December
31, 2010.*

 *Printers have now come to plan the printing of this unusual work.*

 *I felt God gave the format for the project back in 1941 before I was even
a believer, through Winston Churchill, and confirmed in 1949 through Peter
Marshall.*

 *I acknowledge that their format uses up much more space than “prose”. But
for laymen who have a problem picking up main and subordinate clauses from
prose - this poetic type of format makes it easy to see these sentence
relationships.*

 *Not only that, but as one reads this text like a Churchill speech or a
Peter Marshall sermon - it enables that same Churchill oratory or Peter
Marshall preaching to come to the lay-reader. It works for scholars too!*

 *Problem: Now to conserve space in the printing process - what can be done
to preserve God's original intent in this format - and yet meet the
practical demands of the Printer to conserve space and cut costs?*

 *Just as in Congress - bills are debated and adjusted, so that reasonable
compromise can be met.*

 *We could eliminate spaces between sentence and paragraph subdivision. That
would be a large saving. We could cut spaces between paragraphs and section
or chapter equivalents.*

 *In short clauses or sentences, we could have the Greek transliteration
share the line with the English.*

 *We could ensure that all one line sentences have the English serve dual
duty as “titles” as well.*

 *In shorter clauses, we could put them together.*

 *All of this would save a great amount of space - yet without compromising
the Churchillian and Peter Marshall “blank verse” format.*

 *I will set up several pages showing these revision and present to our
printers. They are not only business men - but also prophetic. I am sure
that in the light of God's interest in all of this for laymen, that this
possibly could tend to come much closer to their practical goals.*

 *If you as readers will go to our Website <www.2rbetter.org> and click on
Interlinear, the full NT has now been posted there. Casually, or even
closely, look it over. See if these adjustment could be made while yet
retaining the original integrity. Please let us know.*

 *Direct links to PDF files.*

*Original: http://2rbetter.org/other/Matthew_5:1-16.pdf*

*Condensed: http://2rbetter.org/other/Matthew_5:1-16-condensed.pdf*

 *I have contacted another author in this regard. He believes God will give
a word of wisdom that will satisfy God's heart, my heart, the heart of the
printers - and you too as readers!*

 *We do need this Interlinear Greek NT production in print in the not too
distant future. There are some 250 prayer groups in Canada numbering up to
2000 - in cities, towns and villages right across the Dominion. They
undergird mayors and councils in weekly prayer in these venues. They could
profitably use this Key Component part of the Spiritual Star Wars Effect
that comes from God's Automated Laser Telescope.*

 *That would have to be multiplied by ten or much more to meet the needs of
the Untied States. Already a man from Pakistan, proficient in both Urdu and
Hindi, has offered to translate this into these two languages. Ken Taylor's
Living Bible went into some 40 languages.*

 *It does seem that God delayed Ivan Panin's hope of a soon production of
this in 1941 - that it might have a special effect for the end of this age
and the return of His Son. - Jim Watt*

 *P.S. This is not my Interlinear Greek NT - nor is it even Ivan Panin's
Bible Numeric Greek and English texts. He merely discovered in the late
1890's what God had put in His Hebrew Bible text 4000 years ago, and the
Greek text 3000 years ago. Panin even wasn't the first to discover this. Dr.
Astruc of France, a physician, discovered it among others a century before.
Panin merely obeyed God in producing these two texts. I have merely obeyed
God in putting these two together. It is God's Interlinear Greek NT for His
last days purposes! JW. *

 *TO UNSUBSCRIBE – Please email: **
jmbetter-unsubscribe at skagitattic.no-ip.org*

 *FOR ARCHIVE ARTICLES – Web:** **