Hos. Joel Amos Obad. - Overview

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Tue May 19 14:43:55 PDT 2009

   *HOSEA, JOEL, AMOS, OBADIAH - OVERVIEW - T3701R*

*“THE BACKSLIDER RESTORED”*

 *1. Hosea 6:1-2 (1-7, ASV '01) ISRAEL'S SINS INTOLERABLE: GOD IS HOLY.
“Come, and let us return unto Jehovah; for he has torn, and he will heal us;
he has smitten, and he will bind us up.  2 After two days will he revive us:
on the third day he will raise us up, and we shall live before him.” *O
Father, whose name is in Jesus - hear our prayer. We come to you like
Israel. We give place to the coming of Your Kingdom. *Hallowed be your
:name.*

 *2. Hosea 10:12 (8-10) ISRAEL SHALL BE PUNISHED: GOD IS JUST. “Sow to
yourselves in righteousness, reap according to kindness; break up your
fallow ground; for it is time to seek Jehovah, till he come and rain
righteousness upon you.” *We hear Your heart-call to us Father, and we say,
Yes, Lord! Yes - we come *fully* to your will and Kingdom. We submit fully
to You! *Your :kingdom come.*

 *3. Hosea 11:1, 4 (11-14) ISRAEL SHALL BE DESTROYED: GOD IS LOVE. “When
Israel was a child, then I loved him, and called my son out of Egypt. 4 I
drew them with cords of a man, with bands of love; and I was to them as they
that lift up the yoke on their jaws; and I laid food before them.” *Father,
in Your Sovereign love You chose Israel, clothed and fed her. Because You
are without respect of persons, You will do likewise with us. *Your :will be
done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. Joel 2:24-25 (1-3) THE DAY OF JEHOVAH COMES. “And the floors shall be
full of wheat, and the vats shall overflow with new wine and oil. 25 And I
will restore to you the years that the locust has eaten, the canker-worm,
and the caterpillar, and the palmer-worm my great army which I sent among
you.” *Father, our hearts overflow with thanksgiving in the light of Your
covenant love and faithfulness. Hallowed be Your Name! O forgive us for our
slowness to believe; our hardness of heart. Grant us the New Covenant
blessing of believing hearts of flesh! *Our :daily :bread Give us this day.*

 *5. Amos 5:4 (1-6) JUDGMENT IS DESERVED AND DECREED. “For thus says Jehovah
unto the house of Israel, Seek me, and you shall live.” *Father, we hear
Your voice through Your prophets and through Your word. We acknowledge Your
righteousness in impending judgment. But we know also You are a God of
mercy, and turn when we repent. We turn! *And forgive us our :debts, As we
also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. Amos 9:4 (7-9) FIVE VISIONS. “And I will bring back the captivity of my
people Israel, and they shall build the waste cities, and inhabit them; and
they shall plant vineyards, and drink the wine of them; they shall also make
gardens, and eat the fruit of them.” *No power of Satan, Father, can prevent
this word of Yours, neither any other word of You, from being fulfilled!
Hallelujah! *And bring us not into temptation.*

 *7. Obadiah 17 (1:1-21) OBADIAH: PROPHET OF POETIC JUSTICE. “But in mount
Zion there shall be those that escape, and it shall be holy; and the house
of Jacob shall possess their possessions.” *Deliverance, holiness and full
inheritance! You have spelled it out through Your Prophet, Father:
*natural*for Israel -
*spiritual* for Your church! *But deliver us from the evil one.*

 *NOTE:* From Hosea to Malachi, the 12 books are called the “Minor
Prophets.” However, they are *not* “minor” in importance, but only in
“length!” Isaiah, Jeremiah and Ezekiel only take precedence over these 12 -
because of their greater length!

 In a sense, the first 4 prophetic books above are self-explanatory, and the
key verses selected from each tend to emphasize the message. The title does
likewise (Several of the titles are from Dr. J. Sidlow Baxter). In all four,
the heart of God shines through, and the Spirit of God impels the writer to
record the message impressed upon his heart by that same Spirit.

 Remember the Spirit's word through Peter many centuries later - 2 Peter
1:19-21 (1:12-21) - *“And we have the word of prophecy more sure; whereto
you do well to take heed, as to a lamp shining in a murky place, until day
dawn, and the day-star arise in your :hearts: 20 knowing this first, that no
prophecy of scripture is of its own interpretation. 21 For no prophecy was
ever borne by man's will; but men spoke from God, being borne on by the Holy
Spirit.” *And also remember that all 66 books of the Bible, both OT and NT -
are *not* the words of man, but the words of our God and His Christ *through
* men - 1 Corinthians 14:37 (14:37-40) *“If any thinks himself to be a
prophet, or spiritual, let him take knowledge of what things I write you,
that it is the Lord's commandment.”*

 Imagine the shock that will come to the wicked, sinners and scoffers when
they at the last judgment appear before the Great White Throne, and Jesus -
God's appointed Judge - reveals how foolish, sinful and short-sighted they
were in their earthly life! The doctrine of soul-sleep is not compatible
with the teaching of Scripture! Neither is that of “Ultimate Reconciliation”
or “Universalism.”

  See the reaction of one unbeliever when confronted by the apostle Paul on
one occasion! Acts 24:24-25 (24:1-27), *“But after certain days, :Felix came
with Drusilla, his own :wife, who was a Jewess, **and** sent for :Paul, and
heard him concerning the faith unto Christ Jesus. **25 **And as he reasoned
of **righteousness*,* and **self-control**, and **the judgment** :to come,
:Felix **was terrified**, and answered, Go for :now; and when I have a
convenient season, I will call for you.”* - J.A.W.

 *TO SUBSCRIBE -- Please Email:
mailing-subscribe at 2rbetter.org<mailing-subscribe at 2rbetter.org?subject=Just%20hit%20send%20be%20automatically%20subscribed>
*

 *TO UNSUBSCRIBE -- Please Email: