Judges - Overview

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 14:53:54 PST 2008

"*TWO ARE BETTER THAN ONE" MINISTRIES*

*Jim & Marie Watt*

*Tel: 253.874.4265 -- Email: jmbetter at gmail.com*

*Web: www.2rbetter.org*

*2008-11-15
<http://www.2rbetter.org/>*

   *JUDGES - T1801R - A PHILOSOPHY OF HISTORY*

 *1. 3:7 (1:1-3:11, ASV '01) PROLOGUE: EXPLANATION AND OTHNIEL. "And the
children of Israel did that which was evil in the sight of Jehovah, and
forgot Jehovah their God, and served the Baals and the Asheroth." *Here
starts the beginning of the sequence of judgment and deliverance, the theme
of this entire book. Through it all we see Your Sovereignty, Father, and
submit. *Hallowed be your :name.*

 *2. 3:31 (3:12-31) EHUD AND THE MOABITES. "And after him was Shamgar the
son of Anath, who smote of the Philistines six hundred men with an ox-goad:
and he also saved Israel." *Your deliverers Father, are raised up from
unexpected sources, and often use strange methods. But we accept whatever
person and manner You are pleased to work deliverance. *Your :kingdom come.*

 *3. 5:9 (4-5) DEBORAH, BARAK AND CANAANITES. "My heart is toward the
governors of Israel, That offered themselves willingly among the people:
Bless you Jehovah." *This is quite a woman you raised up, Father! When Your
people cry unto You in time of desperate need, You are *well able* to raise
up effective and willing leaders to give victory. Yes, and You do it in *
mercy*! *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 7:14 (6-9) GIDEON AND MIDIANITES. "And his fellow answered and said,
This is nothing else save the sword of Gideon the son of Joash, a man of
Israel: into his hand God has delivered Midian, and all the host." *What a
dream, and how unexpected! You arranged all of this, Father, that Your
servant should have added confirmation in his time of need. We should not
ever doubt Your ability or willingness to help us fulfill Your Word! *Our
:daily :bread Give us this day.*

 *5. 11:35 (10-12) JEPHTHAH AND AMMONITES. "And it came to pass, when he saw
her, that he rent his clothes, and said, Alas, my daughter! you have brought
me very low, and you are one of them that trouble me; for I have opened my
mouth unto Jehovah, and I cannot go back."* How sad! Father, teach us the
danger of foolish vows. May our words be wise, and according to Your Spirit
and Word. May we not speak presumptuously. O keep us back from presumptuous
sin. *And forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 16:28 (13-16) SAMSON AND PHILISTINES. "And Samson called unto Jehovah,
and said, O Lord Jehovah, remember me, I pray you, and strengthen me, I pray
you, only this once, O God, that I may be at once avenged of the Philistines
for my two eyes." *And You answered his prayer Father, abundantly: though he
lost his life as a result. But through it all Your purposes were
accomplished. *And bring us not into temptation.*

 *7. 21:25 (17-21) EPILOGUE: ILLUSTRATION. " In those days there was no king
in Israel: every man did that which was right in his own eyes." *What a
poignant ending and epitaph to this book, Father! We repent, and crown *King
Jesus*, Your Son, as our King and Savior. *But deliver us from the evil one.
*

 *NOTE:* Samuel was the last of the Judges, and the most outstanding of them
all. So God gave a whole book to this last of the Judges! He groomed David
and mentored him in a special way. David prepared for the Temple that his
son built - in 7 different ways. The Temple worship was prepared for by both
Samuel and David, and is perhaps the acme for all that the Temple stood for.
Worship is the manifestation of our intimacy with God. True worshipers who
worship in Spirit and in Truth - *they* are the ones most pleasing to God.

 Samson is a Judge that causes us to scratch our heads. How do we explain
him? One preacher from Mississippi entitled his Sermon on Samson: "A Saved
Man in the Hands of Sin." Unfortunately, we have many preachers today who
model themselves after Samson rather than Samuel.

 Gideon is a Judge who intrigues us. The times in which he grew tended to
make him a timid man. But through fleeces and dreams God brought this man up
to a conquering spirit. It is good for us to remember this. Our times need
not cripple us from achieving God's goals through us! He can take us like a
timid Timothy, and use us mightily in our day. Soak yourself in those parts
of the Word that clearly assert what God can do through *any* man or woman
who will yield themselves fully to Him! *Nothing* is impossible!
*All*things are possible!

 We can learn much through the lives of these Judges.

 And note - after the death of Joshua and the elders of his day, Israel
slipped back into idolatry, sin, self service, and deliberately neglected
their God! Then God in mercy allowed enemy nations to arise and severely
mistreat His chosen people. Then in their desperation they turned and cried
unto the Lord, and He raised up deliverers - Judges - 7 times! Did Israel
deserve such deliverance? *No* - but in *mercy*, because of his covenant and
for His Name's sake, He moved in. Henry Blackaby has a whole course based on
these 7 cycles. It is invaluable. It can instruct us today. We in America
have listened to an untrustworthy media and leadership, and have like Israel
neglected God. He in His wisdom has let us have a leader who in the next 4
years will purge and cleanse the church. *Then* when we call upon Him, He
will again raise up a leader to deliver us. And His Son - our Lord and
Savior - the son of David - will triumphantly lead us into the Millennial
Kingdom! Jim Watt

 *TO SUBSCRIBE -- Please Email:
mailing-subscribe at 2rbetter.org<mailing-subscribe at 2rbetter.org?subject=Just%20hit%20send%20be%20automatically%20subscribed>
*