James Book Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 13:08:22 PST 2008

*"TWO ARE BETTER THAN ONE" MINISTRIES*

*Jim & Marie Watt*

*PO Box **25116 – Federal Way** **WA** **98093-2116***

*Tel: 253.874-4265 – Email: jmbetter at gmail.com*

*Web: www.2rbetter.org – **February 4, 2008***

* *

*"JAMES BOOK OUTLINES + WORD STUDIES"*

*The Compelling Majesty of His Power – An Illustration*

* *

*"The love of Christ compels us …" (2 Corinthians **5:14**) – Oswald
Chambers*

*(My Utmost for His Highest, February 4) --- *Paul said that he was
overpowered, subdued, and held as in a vise by "the love of Christ." Very
few of us really know what it means to be held in the grip of the love of
God. We tend so often to be controlled simply by our own experience. The one
thing that gripped and held Paul, to the exclusion of everything else, was
the love of God. The love of Christ compels us …" When you hear that coming
from the life of a man or woman it is unmistakable. You will know that the
Spirit of God is completely unhindered in that person's life.

When we are born again by the Spirit of God, our testimony is based solely
on what God has done for us, and rightly so. But that will change and be
removed forever once you "receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon
you…" (Acts 1:8). Only then will you begin to realize what Jesus meant when
He went on to say, "… you shall be *witnesses to Me…" *Not witness to what*
*Jesus can do – that is basic and understood – but "witnesses to Me…" We
will accept everything that happens as if it were happening to Him, whether
we receive praise or blame, persecution or reward. No one is able to take
this stand for Jesus Christ who is not totally compelled by the majesty of
His power. It is the only thing that matters, and yet it is strange that
it's the last thing we as Christian workers realize. Paul said that he was
gripped by the love of God and that is why he acted as he did. People could
perceive him as mad or sane – he did not care. There was only one thing he
lived for – to persuade people of the coming judgment of God and to tell
them of "the love of Christ." This total surrender to "the love of Christ"
is the only thing that will bear fruit in your life. And it will always
leave the mark of God's holiness and His power, never drawing attention to
your personal holiness.

*NOTE:*  James 1:18 tells us that God has designed that WE should be a kind
of firstfruits of His creatures. Jesus is His firstfruits – and it is the
hope, design and plan of God that we should enter into His kind of ministry.

Isn't that what Chambers is saying also? Our love for Christ is the only
thing that will bear the kind of FRUIT that James is talking about here.

* *

* *

*FOR ARCHIVE ARTICLES – Web:**
http://skagitattic.no-ip.org/pipermail/jmbetter/ *

*T1901R – JAMES: PRACTICAL CHRISTIANITY*

* *

* *

* *

*One.  1:1-18.  WISDOM: PATH TO PERFECTION.  "With intent he brought us
forth by the word of truth, that we be a kind of firstfruits of his
:creatures" (**1:18**). *Father, You have made Jesus Your true firstfruits,
the beginning of Your New Creation. And You have begotten us in Him, so that
as members of His body, we too have a firstfruits ministry. *Hallowed be
Your Name!*

* *

*Two.  **1:19**-27.  WISDOM: HIGHWAY TO HOLINESS.  "Pure religion and
undefiled before our God and Father is this, to visit orphans and widows in
their :affliction, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world" (**1:27**).
*Wisdom with You, Father, is the practical outworking of one after Your own
heart. It is a life of good works flowing out of faith and love: a life with
you in Messiah as our holiness shining through! *Your :kingdom come!*

* *

*Three.  2.  WISDOM IN THE CHURCH.  "So speak, and so do, as those to be
judged by a law of liberty. **13 For the judgment is without mercy to him
that has shown no mercy: mercy glories against judgment"
(**2:12**-13). *Righteous
judgment without respect of persons, flowing forth from a life of faith:
THIS is the life that pleases You, Father. We accept Your wisdom in this. *Your
:will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

* *

*Four.  3.  WISDOM IN THE TONGUE.  "And the tongue is a fire: the world of
:iniquity among our :members in the tongue, which defiles the whole body,
and sets on fire the path of :nature, and is set on fire by :geenna" (3:6).
*Father, here You clearly show us the terrible seriousness of the
uncontrolled tongue. How we so often sin against You and our fellow man by
this unbridled tongue. *Our :daily :bread Give us this day.*

*Five.  4:1-12.  WISDOM IN SPIRITUAL WAFARE.  "Be subject therefore to :God;
but resist the devil, and he will flee from you. **8a Draw nigh to :God, and
he will draw nigh to you" (4:7-8a).* Here Father, by Your Sprit, You have
given us three simple principles whereby we can succeed in spiritual
warfare: submission to You; resisting the devil; drawing near to You. *And
forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

* *

*Six.  **4:13**-5:6.  WISDOM IN PLANNING AND RICHES.  "To him therefore that
knows to do good, and does not, to him it is sin" (**4:17**). *Do we believe
this? Does the sin of omission come against us, Father? Help us to search
our hearts. Convict us by Your Spirit. Make us like Nathaniel, a man without
guile; like David, a man after Your own heart. *O bring us not into
temptation.*

* *

*Seven.  5:7-20  WISDOM THROUH PATIENT EXPECTATION.  "Take, brothers, for an
example of :suffering and of :patience, the prophets, who spoke in the name
of the Lord" (**5:10**). *This is not the spirit of the world, but it is the
spirit of Your true servants, Father! You would work this same spirit in us!
You would conform many sons and daughters in the image of Jesus, bringing
them into Glory! *But deliver us from the evil *one.

*T1905R – James 3 – WISDOM IN THE TONGUE*

* *

*One.  3:1-2a.  TEACHERS: STAND IN GREATER JEOPARDY.   "Be not many
teachers, my brothers, knowing that we shall receive greater condemnation. *
*2 For in many things we all stumble." *Why do so many of us lust after
leadership and teaching positions, Father? Don't we realize the solemn and
sober responsibility entailed? Only if we would sin against You by refusing,
should we become teachers. *Hallowed be Your Name.***

* *

*Two.  3:2b-6.  THE TONGUE: GOVERNOR OF THE BODY.  "If any stumbles not in
word, the same is a perfect man, able to bridle the whole :body also"
(3:2b). *Help us, Father, to see our tongue as YOU see it: controlled under
and in You in Christ, then we become MATURE! O may we not miss this
significant insight! *Your :kingdom come!*

* *

*Three.  3:7-8.  THE TONGUE: UNTAMEABLE.  "For every kind of beasts and
birds, of things creeping, and in the sea, is tamed, and has been tamed by
human nature: **8* *but the tongue can no man tame: a restless evil, full of
deadly poison." *Press this deeper upon our hearts, Father. Do not let us
off, nor let us miss the seriousness of this truth. Help us fulfill this
proper response with gladness. *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on
earth.*

* *

*Four.  3:9-12.  THE TONGUE: ITS INCONSISTENCY.  "Out of the same mouth
comes forth blessings and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be
thus" (**3:10**). *We curse our fellow man who is made in Your image,
Father. We cannot love You, our unseen God, if we hate our seen brother (1
John 4:20). *Our :daily :bread Give us this day.*

* *

*Five.  3:13.  WISDOM: ITS PROOF IN GOOD WORKS.  "Who is wise and
understanding among you? Let him show by his good :conduct his :works in
meekness of wisdom." *Good words equal good works; for where good words out
of a faithful heart flow forth, then will also flow forth good works: it is
as certain as morning follows evening. *And forgive us our :debts, As we
also have forgiven our :debtors*

* *

*Six.  3:14-16.  WISDOM FROM BENEATH.  "But if you have bitter jealousy and
faction in your :heart, glory not and lie not against the truth. **15 This
is not the wisdom that comes down from above, but is earthly, sensual,
demonish. **16 For where jealousy is and faction, there is confusion and
every vile deed."* Words and works flow forth from the heart: their nature
is determined by the state of the heart. An evil heart consistently produces
the above, and the above always reflects an evil heart! *O bring us not into
temptation.*

* *

*Seven.  3:17-18.  WISDOM FROM ABOVE.  But the wisdom from above is first
pure, then peaceable, gentle, easily entreated, full of mercy and good
fruits, without variance, without hypocrisy. **18  And the fruit of
righteousness is sown in peace for them that make peace." * This is the
heart, faith and works we desire, Father. *But deliver us from the evil *
one.

*S #53  hagNOS (8) – PURE, CHASTE*

*From S #40 HAgi-os (229) HOLY – HOLY SPIRIT*

*The first of 8 descriptions from James 3:17-18 – WISDOM FROM ABOVE*

* *

*One.  1 Peter 3:1-2 (1-6)   EFFECT OF CHASTENESS OF WIVES ON HUSBANDS
 "Likewise,
wives, be subject to your own :husbands; that, even if any obey not the
word, they be gained without the word by the behavior of their wives;
**2beholding your CHASTE :behavior
coupled with fear."*

* *

*Two.  1 John 3:2b-3 (1-3)  THE PURITY OF JESUS PURIFIES US  "We know that,
if he shall be manifested, we shall be like him; for we shall see him even
as he is. And every one that has this :hope on him PURIFIES himself, even as
HE is PURE."*

* *

*Three.  2 COR 7:11 (5-12)  PROOF OF PURITY THROUGH DILIGENCE  "For lo, this
self-same thing, that you were made sorry according to God, what diligence
it worked in you, yes clearing, yes indignation, yes fear, yes longing, yes
zeal, yes avenging! In everything you approved yourselves to be PURE in the
matter."*

* *

*Four.  2 COR 11:2 (1-6)  PAUL'S GOAL: US -- A PURE VIRGIN FOR CHRIST  "For
I am zealous over you with a zeal of God; for I espoused you to one husband,
that I might present you a PURE virgin to the Christ."*

* *

*Five.  Philippians 4:8 (8-9)  PURITY: ONE OF EIGHT THINGS TO TAKE ACCOUNT.
"For the rest, brothers, whatever things are true, whatever are honorable,
whatever are PURE, whatever are lovely, whatever are of good report; if there
be any virtue, and if any praise, take account thereof."*

* *

*Six.  1 TIM **5:22** (17-25)  PURITY: GOAL FOR A YOUNG LEADER  "Lay hands
hastily on no one, neither be partaker of others' sins: keep yourself PURE."
*

* *

*Seven.  Titus 2:4-5 (1-10)  CHASTITY: AGED WOMEN TO TEACH TO YOUNGER  "That
they may train the young to be husband-lovers, child-lovers, **5ober-minded,
CHASTE, home-workers, good, subject to their own husbands, that the word of
:God be not blasphemed:" *

* *

*NOTE**:  *As one can see from the above – Purity and Chastity are quite
synonymous for moral or sexual purity. But it seems to cover the total
person also – body, soul and spirit.

                H.A. Baker in both "Visions Beyond the Veil" as well as in
his autobiography "Under His Wings," recounts with great awe and
thanksgiving the changed lives among the Ka Dos and other native tribes in
S.W. China. Scarcely a male could be found that did not confess adultery and
fornication prior to conversion and the Anointing of the Holy Spirit. But
once both men and women entered into these experiences by the 1000's – a
moral purity along with fervent love for one another became the consistent
rule.

                It is not enough to enter into moral purity. God wants us
through the Holy Spirit Anointing to also experience a Christ-like spirit
expressed in fervent love for the brethren.

                Such is the proof of Wisdom from Above. Such brings our
actions to correspond with our Words. Our tongues will be in harmony with
our living.

                Is this not a good start to express the Wisdom from Above?
But there are yet 7 other expressions!

* *