The Way to Knowledge

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 13:22:15 PDT 2007

*"TWO ARE BETTER THAN ONE" MINISTRIES*

*Jim & Marie Watt – Beth Chesed, **Tacoma***

*PO Box **25116 – Federal Way** **WA** **98093-2116***

*Web: www.2rbetter.org – Fax: 253.474.0189*

*Tel: 253.874.4265 – Email: jmbetter at gmail.com*

*July 27, 2007***

* *

*"THE WAY TO KNOWLEDGE"***

*(From "My Utmost for His Highest" by Oswald Chambers)*

* *

The golden rule to follow to obtain spiritual understanding is not one of
intellectual pursuit, but one of obedience. If a person wants scientific
knowledge, then intellectual curiosity must be his guide. But if he desires
knowledge and insight into the teachings of Jesus Christ, he can only obtain
it through obedience. If spiritual things seem dark and hidden to me, then I
can be sure that there is a point of disobedience somewhere in my life.
Intellectual darkness is the result of ignorance, but spiritual darkness is
the result of something that I do not intend to obey.

No one ever receives a word from God without instantly being put to the test
regarding it. We disobey and then wonder why we are not growing spiritually.
Jesus said, "If you bring your gift to the altar, and there remember that
your brother has something against you, leave your gift there before the
altar, and go your way. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come
and offer your gift" (Matthew 5:23-24). He is saying, in essence, "Don't say
another word to me; first be obedient by making things right." The teachings
of Jesus hit us where we live. We cannot stand as impostors before Him for
even one second. He instructs us down to the very last detail. The Spirit of
God uncovers our spirit of self-vindication and makes us sensitive to things
that we have never even thought of before.

When Jesus drives something home to you through His Word, don't try to evade
it. If you do, you will become a religious impostor. Examine the things you
tend simply to shrug your shoulders about, and where you have refused to be
obedient, and you will know why you are not growing spiritually. As Jesus
said, "*First … go …"*Even at the risk of being thought of as fanatical, you
must obey what God tells you.

*NOTE:*  Is it wise to listen to Oswald Chambers? Does he truly speak by the
Spirit of God? Is our heavenly Father backing him up? Is Jesus?

David McCasland in 1993 wrote the third biography on him entitled, "Oswald
Chambers – Abandoned to God" – The Life Story of the Author of My Utmost for
His Highest – Discovery House Publishers, Grand Rapids, Michigan, ISBN
1-57293-050-0 (pbk.)

>From the back cover Cal Thomas – Syndicated Columnist writes: "Oswald
Chambers was a man for all time. His mind was the mind of Christ and so his
words are compelling because they reflect the thoughts of our Savior. I am
not the first to say that no book outside the Bible has influenced me as
much as *My Utmost for His Highest. *In David McCasland's book we have, at
last, the story of this remarkable man's life and how, having honored God,
God is now honoring him with the only fame that really matters."

Also on the back cover are notes by Harold Lindsell, Eugene H. Peterson, D.
James Kennedy, Jerry E. White and James Engel.

Oswald Chambers (1874-1917) was born in Scotland and spent much of his
boyhood there. His ministry of teaching and preaching took him for a time to
the United States and Japan. The last six years of his life were spent as
principal of the Bible Training College in London, and as a chaplain to
British Commonwealth troops in Egypt during World War I. After his death,
the books which bear his name were compiled by his wife from her own
verbatim shorthand notes of his talks.

David McCasland is a writer whose research for this book took him to the
scenes of Oswald Chambers' life and ministry throughout Britain, the United
States, and Egypt. David and his wife, Luann, have four daughters and live
in Liberty Hill, Texas.

The above is one of my prized biographies, and ranks with the top ten. I
understand it isn't for all, but if the Spirit of God nudges you to look
into it, by all means do a search (Amazon has it) and make a purchase you
will never regret.

Your friend – Jim Watt

* *

* *