Gaudet Family Reunion

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 20:41:17 PDT 2007

*"TWO ARE BETTER THAN ONE" MINISTRIES*

*Jim & Marie Watt – Beth Chesed, **Tacoma***

*PO Box **25116 – Federal Way** **WA** **98093-2116***

*Web: www.2rbetter.org – Fax; 253.474.0189*

*Tel: 253.874.4265 – Email: jmbetter at gmail.com*

*July 25, 2007***

* *

*"GAUDET FAMILY **REUNION** – **July 21 2007**"*

* *

It is a privilege and a joy for me to bring my wife Marie to the Gaudet
family reunions whenever I can. Of the six so far, I have been able to bring
her to four, and she has attended five. This year we brought three of our
grandsons with us, Keelan, Mark and William. It was great.

And why do the Gaudets celebrate reunions? It is all because of their
mother, Josephine Gaudet. In 2001 family members produced a reunion Memento,
and dedicated it in loving memory to Nanny Gaudet and the other women in our
family who have played such an important role. They influenced us by laying
the foundation of what "family" means: love, respect, honesty, support,
dedication, encouragement, values, beliefs, traditions, and of course,
countless memories. Our parents were truly pioneers in the early development
of our country and they, like many others, sacrificed to build Canada into
what it is today. Also, we remember those family members who are no longer
with us.

The oldest daughter Marie, my wife, wrote a short Family History at that
time. Following are a few excerpts. Every five years the children,
grandchildren and great grandchildren of Josephine and Adelard Gaudet share
in a reunion remembering their parents, and getting to know each other
better. Our mother Josephine Chartrand Riendeau Gaudet passed away in the West
Coast General Hospital in Port Alberni, B.C. July 19, 1961. The reunion is
planned around that date. Two reunions were held in Port Alberni, B.C. The
first was 1986 and the third was July 1996. The second reunion was held in Port
Coquitlam, 1991. This the fourth is being held in Penticton, B.C., July
20-21, 2001.

Why have a family reunion? So we can know our family roots, our cultural
history and just who our ancestors are. We are Canadians of French
extraction. The first Gaudets came to New Brunswick from Loudon, France in
1640. Today there are literally thousands of Gaudets in New Brunswick, Nova
Scotia, Quebec, Maine, USA, even to the Cajuns in Louisiana, USA.

Our mother Josephine Chartrand's family roots are in Manitoba, mostly around
the greater Winnipeg area and St. Laurent. We can trace the Chartrands back
to 1740 (Paul Chartrand), when the men were hunters, fishers and traders
with the North-West and Hudson Bay Companies. Josephine's mother was Justine
Lacerte, the twin of Christine (born Feb. 20, 1868). They were #17 and #18
in a family of 21 children born to Louis and Josephte (Vandale) Lacerte in St.
Agathe, Manitoba. Josephine Chartrand was born to Francois Xavier and
Justine (Lacerte) Chartrand September 22, 1891 in St. Laurent, Manitoba.

It was because of our mother's prayers and never giving up on finding
Gerard, our father's firstborn shortly before his first wife passed away. We
eventually found him and welcomed him into our family as the oldest. Claire
was actually the oldest (April 7, 1919), then Gerard (December 2, 1920) and
then I was born in the new family of Josephine and Adelard on August 17,
1923 in Port Alberni, in the Richardson rental house near 8th Avenue on Bute
Street.

All nine of us siblings went through school in Port Alberni. Most of us
graduated from the Alberni District High School. From then on each of us
began our own families, marrying English, Irish, Scottish and Russian
spouses, etc. Unfortunately, not one married a French person. Today our
family is scattered across Canada, while some live in the USA.

It is because of the love of our mother and for her, that we are such a
close knit family. How we love to come together and share our lives. Some
tales are new, some are old, but all are enjoyed. We have learned the joy of
being siblings, caring and having respect for one another. All this we owe
to our mother who never gave up on any one of us; she was always there for
us, and simply loved and encouraged us. Her memory will always shine in us.
Hopefully, our children and grandchildren will cherish our family heritage,
and follow on in the tradition and values they have seen in us. Though our
mother's life had much hardship and suffering, she never gave up, but
committed herself to the One who was her life. Her faith and devotion to the
Lord never failed her. May we leave such a godly heritage to our children.
Revelation 14:13 (KJ), "And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me,
Write, Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord henceforth: yea, saith the
Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; AND THEIR WORKS (THEIR
DEPOSIT IN OUR LIVES) DO FOLLOW THEM."

So proud to be the oldest daughter and big sister to my 8 wonderful younger
siblings. Joyfully and gratefully, Marie.

*NOTE from Jim.*  July 21, 2007 was the Sixth Gaudet Family Reunion, and the
fourth that I have attended. I believe it has significance for the following
reason. It took place on the 7th day of the week (Saturday) on the 7th month
of the 21st day (3x7) of the '07 year, and the supper started at 7:00 pm. –
*07-07-07-07-07.*

* *

Marie and I were married in Port Alberni December 27, 1948. Marie's family
has a rich Catholic heritage, and her mother had a slight heart attack
following our wedding – because her oldest and close daughter had married
one training for the Protestant ministry. Following our honeymoon she said
to us: "The Catholic church has such a need of couples like you." So I
promised her – "Mom – whenever invitations or opportunities arise, I will
always accept them to minister in Catholic circles.

In 1978 I spoke at a Catholic 4-day retreat in Sacramento, California at a
monastery. The final meeting was outdoors with 500 in attendance. I had to
pause some 20 times till clapping ceased. A Monsignor and 2 priests were
concelebrants for the closing mass. About the same time I led 12 Protestant
leaders in "Life in the Spirit" Seminars in a Catholic church for 300
participants in Humboldt County.

Marie has spoken  in Catholic churches in BC, and insisted that the local
priest with her lay hands on seekers at the end.

We believe that the recent Pope John Paul II was a choice of God for a
special purpose for his time. In his book "Visited by Angels" Roland Buck
received an angelic visitation that amazingly confirms this.

So the Gaudets warmly embrace the spouses who married into their family. We
were received and our children, so that at all reunions we fit into all that
takes place.

It is our faith that the One True God of the human race doesn't make as much
of denominational differences as we do. HE sees us all of His one family,
and makes it easy for us to receive one another above church differences. We
are like the ducks separated by man-made fences. But when the waters of the
river rise above the fences – then all the ducks can swim together!

I have been in the past strongly mentored by St. John of the Cross, Madame
Jeanne Guyon, Archbishop Fenelon and Michael Molinos.

It is through the vision of the father of Pastor Jack Hayford -- "CLAN
Salvation" that Marie and I have prayed since 1982 for the Gaudet,
Chartrand, Lacert, Watt and Moser Clans. Through our prayers together Marie
has discovered her Gaudet, Chartrand and Lacert heritage, and she and her
brother Ray found their long lost brother Gerard Gaudet in Quebec at the age
of 75!

We both have a shrewd idea that in heaven – all the ducks will be swimming
together.

So – 164 of the Gaudet Clan met for the 6th reunion to celebrate Nanny
Gaudet and one another. Obviously we represent many church backgrounds now –
but nothing arose to hinder the celebration of one another and the memory of
Nanny Gaudet.

Jim & Marie Gaudet Watt

* *

* *