T5201R - REVELATION - OVERVIEW
“THE REVELATION OF JESUS CHRIST”
1. 1:1-2 (1) THE REVELATION OF JESUS CHRIST. “Jesus Christ's revelation which :God gave him to show to his :bondmen thingswhich must come to pass with speed: and he sent andsignified it through his :angel to his :bondman John: 2who witnessed the word of :God and to the witness of Jesus Christ, all thingsthat he saw.” Majesty! We worship Your Majesty in Your Son Jesus, Father! Hallowed be your :name.
2. 3:8 (2-3) JESUS TO THE SEVEN CHURCHES. “I know your:works (lo, I have set before you a door opened, which none can shut it), that you have a little power, and did keep my :word, and did not deny my :name.” We magnify You Father for Hezekiah and Josiah, for in their day they were as the church of Philadelphia. We too would lean on You for strength in the last titanic struggle of the ages. Your :kingdom come.
3. 4:11 (4) THE DOOR INTO HEAVEN. “You are worthy, our :Lord and :God, to receive the glory and the honor and the power: because you did create :all things, and because of your :will they were, and were created.” O Father, our hearts and lips are silenced before You in the Presence of Your Majesty. This revelation You gave Your Son for us is almost more than human flesh can stand! Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.
4. 11:15 (5-11) SEVEN SEALS AND SEVEN TRUMPS. “And the seventh angel trumped: and great voices in heaven came, saying, The kingdom of the world is become our :Lord's and his :Christ's, and he shall reign unto the ages of the ages.” What Majesty for Your Name's sake is expressed here, O Father of all grace! O forgive us for failing so often to understand You and Your works as we should, and for failing to magnify You as You deserve! Our :daily :bread Give us this day.
5. 12:9 (12-14) THE WOMAN, THE BEAST AND THE LAMB! “And the great :dragon was cast down, the old :serpent, the onecalled Devil and :Satan, who deceives the whole inhabited earth; he was cast down to the earth, and his :angels were cast down with him.” What a triumph! And Your Son does it Father through His many-membered body. We rejoice in the triumph of Christ over all things, and that as we rest in Him, He can do whatever He will. And forgive us our :debts, as we also have forgiven our :debtors.
6. 17:14 (15-20) SEVEN PLAGUES, BABYLON AND THE LAMB. “These shall war against the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them, for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings; and they with him called and chosen and faithful.” Hallelujah! This is Your revelation Father upon things that we must know. Indeed, the seals are off. Indeed we see! And bring us not into temptation.
7. 21:1 (21-22) NEW HEAVEN AND EARTH. “And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth are gone; and the sea is no more.” This Father is the bride of Your Son (21:9-10). O may we never forget how You see us! But deliver us from the evil one.
NOTE: This book is most closely related with the Book of Daniel in the Old Testament. There are those who would prefer if neither of these appeared in the Bible.
Both books are like dreams or visions - they are largely symbolical, and not to be taken literally. In some areas the correct interpretation of symbols is given - in other places - not. They both have much to do with the future as it pertains to nations and empires. Huge sweeps of history are involved. In theological terms, they both deal with “Eschatology” - the subject of “Last Things”!
Chapter 1:3 is different. Revelation is the only Bible book that promises a blessing to those reading it! To meditate upon it allows the Holy Spirit entrance to bring His teaching-promises to bear for the individual.
John Wesley said in his earlier years that he despaired of ever understanding this Book, until he read the works of the great Bengel! Dr. Daniel Juster felt the same way until God opened up to him the 7 parts of the Passover and the Exodus of the Book of Exodus. I heartily endorse the understanding he received, associated with his “Tikkun Ministries” of Israel.
Then look at the 7 churches of Asia as recorded in Chapters 2 and 3. Some feel this is the easiest part of the whole book to understand - yet even here 4 major interpretations exist!
So as individuals in obedience, as we read and meditate upon this last book of the Bible, God continually fulfills His promise, and blessesthe reader of it! Continue reading! Continue meditating! The Holy Spirit loves to open up such scriptures! And remember - a “mystery” is that which in the past was sealed - but nowit is open to those who wait upon God. - J.A.W.