(From: HEBREWS #14 - 13:1-25)
N. 13:1-6 GENERAL EXHORTATION FOR SAINTS
a. 13:1 Let brotherly love continue. Hephi-la-delPHIa meNEto .
b. 13:2 HOSPITALITY ENCOURAGED
tes phi-lo-xeNIas mee-pi-lanTHAnes-the :
Forget not the love of strangers:
diA tauTES gar ElaTHON ti-nes xeNIsan-tes agGElous.
for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.
c. 13:3 PRISONERS AND PERSECUTED HELD UP FOR HELP
mimNEskes-the ton desMIon , hos sun-de-deMEnoi ;
Remember those in bonds, as bound with them;
ton ka-kou-chouMEnon  hos kai auTOI ONtes en SOma-ti .
the ill-treated as being yourselves also in the body.
d. 13:4 ADULTERY SCORED
TImi-os  ho GAmos  en PAsin, kai he KOIte aMIan-tos :
Let marriage bein honor among all, and the bed undefiled:
PORnous [4205`] gar kai moiCHOUS  kriNEI  ho TheOS.
for fornicators and adulterers :God will judge.
e. 13:5 COVETOUSNESS SCORED
A-phiLARgu-ros  ho TROpos ,
Let your :turn of mind be without love of money,
arKOUme-noi  tois paROUsin : auTOS gar EIre-ken,
content with what things you have: for himself has said,
Ou ME se aNO , oud' ou ME se eg-ka-taLIpo .
I will in no wise fail you, neither will I in any wise forsake you.
f. 13:6 A BOLD CONFESSION OF FAITH
HOSte tharROUNtas  heMAS LEgein,
So that we boldly say,
KUri-os eMOI bo-eTHOS ; ou pho-beTHEso-mai:ti poiEsei moi ANthro-pos?
The Lord is my helper; I will not fear: What shall man do to me?
O. 13:7-17 DANGER FROM UNAUTHORIZED AND SELF-APPOINTED LEADERS
1. 17:7 RULERS ARE TO BE REMEMBERED AND IMITATED
Mne-moNEUe-te ton he-gouMEnon huMON,
Remember those ruling over you,
HOIti-nes eLAle-san huMIN ton LOgon tou TheOU;
menthat spoke to you the word of :God;
hon a-na-the-oROUNtes  ten EKba-sin  tes a-na-stroPHES  miMEISthe  ten PIstin.
considering the outcome of their behavior imitate theirfaith.
2. 13:8-16 GO BEYOND TYPES: LIVE IN REALITIES!
a. 13:8 Jesus Christ the same yesterday and today, and unto the ages.
IeSOUS ChrisTOS echTHES  kai SEme-ron  ho auTOS, kai eis tous aiOnas .
b. 13:9 GRACE ENCOURAGED: LEGALISM SCORED
di-daCHAIS  poiKIlais  kai XEnais  me pa-raPHEres-the :
Be not carried away by diverse and strange teachings:
kaLON gar CHAri-ti be-baiOUSthai  ten karDIan;
for it is good that the heart be established by grace;
ou BROma-sin , en hois ouk o-pheLEthe-san  hoi pe-ri-paTOUNtes.
not by meats, in which they that walked were not profited.
c. 13:10 OUR HIGH PRIVILEGE THROUGH GOD'S ALTAR
Echo-men thu-si-asTEri-on ,
We have an altar,
ex hou phaGEIN  ouk Echou-sin e-xouSIan hoi te skeNE  laTREUon-tes .
of which they have no right to eat that serve the tabernacle.
d. 13:11 SEPARATION: BODY SEPARATED FROM BLOOD
hon gar eisPHEre-tai  ZO-on  to HAIma
For the bodies of those beasts whose :blood
peRI ha-marTIas eis ta HAgi-a  diA tou ar-chi-eREos ,
is brought into the holies through the high priest for sin,
TOUton ta SOma-ta ka-taKAIe-tai  Exo tes pa-rem-boLES .
are burned without the camp.
e. 13:12 INDIGNITY SUFFERED BY JESUS' BODY
di' ho kai IeSOUS, HIna ha-giAse  diA tou iDIou HAIma-tos
Wherefore Jesus also, that he might sanctify the people
ton laON, Exo tes PUles  Epa-then .
through his own :blood, suffered without the gate.
f. 13:13 CHALLENGE: IDENTIFICATION WITH JESUS' REPROACH
TOInun e-xerCHOme-tha  pros auTON Exo tes pa-rem-boLES ,
Let us therefore go forth unto him without the camp,
ton o-nei-disMON  auTOU PHEron-tes .
bearing his :reproach.
g. 13:14 For we have not here an abiding city, but we seek after the oneto come.
ou gar Echo-men HOde MEnou-san  POlin, alLA ten MELlou-san e-pi-zeTOUmen .
h. 13:15 SACRIFICE OF PRAISE: WORTHY OF ALL SAINTS
di' auTOU oun a-naPHEro-men  thuSIan  aiNEse-os  diA panTOS to TheO,
Through him therefore let us offer up sacrifice of praise to :God continually,
tout' EStin, karPON cheiLEon  ho-mo-loGOUNton  to oNOma-ti  auTOU.
that is, the fruit of lips confessing to his :name.
i. 13:16 GOOD WORKS AND FELLOWSHIP: SACRIFICES TO BE ENCOURAGED
tes de eu-poiIas  kai koi-noNIas  me e-pi-lanTHAnes-the :
But forget not well-doing and fellowship:
toiAUtais gar thuSIais  eu-a-reSTEItai  ho TheOS.
for with such sacrifices :God is well pleased.
3. 13:17 OBEY AND SUBMIT TO RULERS
PEIthes-the  tois he-gouMEnois  huMON, kai huPEIke-te :
Obey those ruling over you, and submit:
auTOI gar a-grupNOUsin  huPER ton psuCHON huMON,
for THEY watch in behalf of your :souls,
hos LOgon a-poDOson-tes ; HIna meTA chaRAS  TOUto poiOsin,
as they that shall give account; that they may do this with joy,
kai me steNAzon-tes : a-lu-si-teLES  gar huMIN TOUto.
and not groaning: for this isunprofitable for you.
P. 13:18-23 CLOSING EXHORTATIONS
1. 13:18-19 PAUL IN CLEAR CONSCIENCE ASKS FOR PRAYER
a. 13:18 PRAYER JUSTIFIED THROUGH GOOD CONSCIENCE
ProSEUches-the peRI huMON: peiTHOme-tha  gar HOti kaLEN suNEIde-sin  Echo-men,
Pray for us: for we are persuaded that we have a good conscience,
en PAsin kaLOS THElon-tes a-naSTREphes-thai .
desiring to behave honorably in all things.
b. 13:19 And I exhort the more exceedingly to do this, that I be restored to you the sooner.
pe-ris-soTEros  de pa-ra-kaLO TOUto poiEsai, HIna TAchi-on  a-po-ka-ta-staTHO huMIN.
2. 13:20-21 A GRACIOUS BENEDICTION
a. 13:20-21a THE BENEDICTION
Ho de TheOS tes eiREnes, ho a-na-gaGON  ek neKRON
Now the God of :peace, who brought again from thedead
ton poiMEna  ton proBAton  ton MEgan en HAIma-ti  di-aTHEkes  ai-oNIou ,
the great :shepherd of the sheep in blood of an eternal covenant,
ton KURri-on heMON IeSOUN,
our :Lord Jesus,
ka-tarTIsai  huMAS en panTI a-gaTHO eis to poiEsai to THEle-ma  auTOU,
21aperfect you in every good to do his :will,
poiON en heMIN to euAre-ston  eNOpi-on auTOU, diA IeSOU ChrisTOU;
to do in us what is well-pleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ;
ho he DOxa  eis tous aiOnas ton aiOnon.
to whom the glory unto the ages of the ages.
b. 13:21b Amen. aMEN.
3. 13:22 RECEIVE THE ENLIGHTENMENT OF LEVITICAL TYPES!
Pa-ra-kaLO  de huMAS, a-delPHOI, aNEches-the  tou LOgou tes pa-raKLEse-os :
But I exhort you, brethren, bear with the word of :exhortation:
kai gar diA braCHEon  aPEstei-la  huMIN.
for I have written you in few words.
4. 13:23 NEWS CONCERNING TIMOTHY
GiNOske-te  ton a-delPHON heMON TiMOthe-on a-po-le-luMEnon ;
Know thatour :brother Timothy isset free;
meth' hou, eAN TAchei-on  ERche-tai, Opso-mai huMAS.
with whom, if he come shortly, I will see you.
Q. 13:24 EXCHANGE OF GREETINGS
a. 13:24a Greet all that are ruling over you, and all the saints.
AsPAsas-the  PANtas tous e-gouMEnous  huMON, kai PANtas tous haGIous .
b. 13:24b They of :Italy greet you. AsPAzon-tai  huMAS hoi aPO tes I-taLIas.
R. 13:25 The grace be with you all. He CHAris  meTA PANton huMON.
NOTE: -13:2 - Perhaps the time of Abraham's concern for Lot, and the appearance of the 3 angels is relevant here. And - one of the three - was the Angel of the Covenant, the pre-incarnate Christ. “Visions Beyond the Veil” by H. A. Baker is replete or full of many other illustrations of this.
- 13:4 - We should not overlook this. God is more interested in our marriage covenant at this point than we are ourselves. He spells it out!
- 13:5-6 - George Muller proved this for 60 years. He never asked one human being for money for the orphans - or for any other need. God answered over 50,000 prayers in a most specific manner, bringing in some $8 million. Whata testimony. In 1944 somebody gave me “Answers to Prayer” by George Muller - and he became one of my first main mentors. His preface “How to Infallibly Ascertain the Will of God”, and Appendix A - “How to bring God's Will to Pass Once Known” - these two I memorized, and for 65 years have not seen them to fail.
- 13:7 & 17 - Twice the Holy Spirit through the writer underlines the importance from God's point of view - in obeying human leaders in the church. Some say, “I'll obey God, but notman!” Wrong!It is Godthe Holy Spirit who points out God's thinking here. Remember 1 Corinthians 14:37.
- 13:8 - is one of the important verses in the Bible. It was Dr. E. Stanley Jones who had God add this verse to him along with 12:28. As stated before, he linked these two thoughts together to form the title of perhaps his most important book, “The Unshakable Kingdom and the Unchanging Person”. Apart from a thorough understanding of the Nature of the Kingdomof God in the NT from God'spoint of view, we will neverunderstand the Gospel and the NT as we ought. This bookby Jones is a key to unlock this mystery. Put it high on your priority list.
- 13:9 - “diverse and strange teachings.” - The church is full of these. Meditating in prayer over the Word daily and regularly - produces a “plumbline” that protects us from this danger. People without the Living Word are vulnerable to the most ridiculous errors!
- 13:12-13 - Jesus is our example. He suffered for us in accomplishing full redemption on our behalf by suffering without the camp. See Mel Gibson's “The Passion of the Christ.” This is primarily a picture of Christ's physical suffering. His spiritual sufferingwas 100's of times more serious. To see this in reality leads us to surrender allto Jesus. The last 2 Beatitudes of Matthew 5:3-12 talk of the blessedness in being associated with Christ's righteousness - and then our Identificationwith Christ in this world! The world hates God and Christ. It gets this from Satan. See how so many in America seek to remove all knowledge of God from our culture! Don't be surprised. And - if we identify ourselves with Christ outside the camp - be not surprised if we become persecuted - and some of us even martyred.
- 13:15 - Let us gladlysuffer reproach as we identify ourselves with Him by joyfully confessing His Name!
A friend and I in 1944, as 2 young sailors, stood with Christ on a church porch situated in Trail, B.C. Some young children assailed us with “Holy Rollers” and other epithets. Well - “Sticks and stones may break my bones - but idle words can never!” One sailor asked me how I could stand all the persecution. I couldn't grasp what he meant by persecution. When he explained, I said, “O that! Thatgives me the opportunity to share Jesuswith them! I didn't recognize what they said and did as persecution!”
- 13:20-21 - Many have memorized this wonderful benediction. Whether read or memorized, may our Lord Jesus fulfill on our behalf the wonderful goal outlined here! - J.A.W.