G. MATURITY - SPIRIT-LED INTERCESSION - MAY 30, 2011
1. Romans 8:26-27 (8:26-30) INTERCESSION: DEPENDENT UPON THE SPIRIT. “And in like manner the Spirit also helps our :infirmity: for we know not how to pray as we ought; but the Spirit himself intercedesmightily for uswith groanings unutterable; 27and who searches the hearts knows what isthe mind of the Spirit, because he intercedesfor thesaints according to God” (NNT). For the one - like Rees Howells - possessedby the Spirit - then the mightinessof the Spirit is released through his life. Perhaps no book like “Rees Howells, Intercessor” by Norman P. Grubb, so effectively reveals the tremendous possibility of intercessionthrough a human being. Hallowed be your :name!
2. Hebrews 7:25 (7:11-25) INTERCESSION: JESUS' HEAVENLY MINISTRY. “Whence also he is able to save to the uttermost them that approach :God through him, he ever living to make intercessionfor them.” As High Priest after the order of Melchizedek, Jesus can give us complete salvation. And this is all based on His constant intercessionon our behalf. It is good on our part to let the Spirit through us on Jesus' behalf - join with Him in this great IntercessoryMinistry. Your :kingdom come.
3. Isaiah 53:12 (52:13-53:12) INTERCESSION: AT TIMES AN OT LACK. “Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he poured out his soul unto death, and was numbered with the transgressors: yet he bore the sin of many, and made intercessionfor the transgressors” (ASV '01). Isaiah 52:13-53:12 is one of the great and outstanding chapters of the Bible. It is the clearest window into the soul of our Savior in the Bible. Orthodox Jews generally omit it, for it so clearly convicts them for their treatment of Jesus at His first coming. Even while bearing our sins - yet He still intercededfor transgressors! Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.
4. Romans 8:34 (8:31-39) INTERCESSION OF JESUS: AT GOD'S RIGHT. “Who is he that condemns? It isChrist Jesus that died, yes rather, wasraised from thedead, who is at :God's right, who also intercedesfor us.” There are multitudes with Satan of his wicked angels and demons - and of wicked men who join these ranks - who would rail against us the saints. Yet - in spite of all this - the intercessionsof Jesus in heaven on our behalf, is morethan adequate to offset all the negatives of evil. Our :daily :bread give us this day.
5. Isaiah 59:15b-16 (59:15b-21) INTERCESSION: A COMPLETE OT LACK! “And Jehovah saw it, and it displeased him that there was no justice. 16And he saw that there was no man, and wondered that there was no intercessor: therefore his own arm brought salvation unto him: and his righteousness, it upheld him.” Few human intercessorsexceed that of the life of Moses. Yet just as he prophesied, Israel had sunk to such a low level at the time of the above writing - that God could not find one intercessorupon earth. So - he sent His only-begotten Son to fill the gap. And forgive us our :debts, as we also have forgiven our :debtors.
6. 1 Timothy 2:1-2 (2:1-7) INTERCESSIONS: KEY RESPONSIBILITY FOR MEN. “I exhort therefore first of all to make supplications, prayers, intercessions, thanksgivings, for all men; 2for kings and all that are in high place; that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and gravity.” See the 4-fold exhortation by Paul for men - and then the 4-fold type of life we can expect to live as a result of Intercessionsamong these 4! We need a men's prayer room with multiple carpets and no chairs, where fathers and sons can pour out their hearts anytime day or night for these God-given goals! And bring us not into temptation.
7. Luke 23:42-43 (23:33-49) INTERCESSION: BY JESUS ON THE CROSS. “And the thief said, Jesus, remember me when you come in your :kingdom. 43And he said to him, Amen I say unto you, Today shall you be with me in :Paradise.” It is amazing to note that Jesus in the great agony of His redemptive act on our behalf - yet - had time to hear and answer the dying request of a penitent thief! Again and again, when preachers at Passover recount the last 7 sayings of Jesus on the Cross - they recount this oneamong the 7! But deliver us from the evil one.
NOTE: Let us look again at the above! See Intercession as one of the 7 integral component parts of God's Organic Laser-Telescope. Though thispart is in sixth place, yet in God's sight - shouldn't it be much higher? When God gave me the vision of this in 1967, He set His “Bible Numeric Outlined Interlinear Greek NT for Laymen” as the number one component part. I agree, though the other six come right along in importance.
Under Romans 8:26-27, there is reference to the biography of Rees Howells by Norman P. Grubb. There is a 3-fold definition here on Intercessionearly in the book. It is an excellent definition, and comes out of nearly 50 years of the subject walking most successfully in this area. I read this definition first in 1953, and have continued to find it one of the best of all definitions for this subject.
Jesus is God's greatest intercessor. But the Holy Spirit in us enables us to let the Lord use us in this medium in an acceptable manner. However, corporate intercessionin the line of Prayer Multiplication - takes on that same dimension as early church believers experienced. May we each one find ourselves in such a corporate team!
Note too that the NT throughout is for mento be engaged in this high calling and privilege. Normally we find in America that women are mostly engaged in this calling. But God expects mento be engaged most prominently here.
To document the definition on Intercession, turn to “Rees Howells, Intercessor” by Norman P. Grubb, chapter 12, p.83, “What isan Intercessor”. It reveals that “The Identificationof the Intercessor is Paramount. Next - The Agonyof the Intercessor through the Holy Spirit; and thirdly, the authorityof the Intercessor. Other types of prayer are necessary and good, but few understand the costly natureof the true intercessor - as defined by Rees Howells.
In closing - for those who are truly honest and sincere to join our Lord in this dimension - I heartily recommend the purchase of the biography of Rees Howells by Norman P.. Grubb. I have one close friend whose life was transformed by this book in 1975. He was so captivated by its unusual helpfulness, that he has read it monthly ever since then! I myself have read it the same way for 7 years. I have then alternated this text with the biographies of some of the other men mentioned in this Overview. It deals with the Maturity of the 7 component parts of this instrument. Bless us each one as we pursue this most important and effective pursuit. J.A. Watt