Song of Solomon 1:1-2:7 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 11:19:29 PDT 2013

April 19, 2013

 *OCT 30 - SONG OF SOLOMON 1:1-2:7 - SPIRITUAL COMMUNION: INITIAL LOVE*

 *1. 1:4 (1:1-8, ESV) SHULAMITE WITH VIRGINS, COURT LADIES AND LOVER. “Draw
me after you; let us run. The king has brought me into his chambers. OTHERS
- We will exult and rejoice in you; we will extol your love more than wine;
rightly do they love you.” *Lord Jesus, *You* are our King and our Lover.
Father You have given Jesus unto us as King of Your Kingdom of love. We
submit to You. *Hallowed be your :name.*

 *2. 1:9 (1:9-11) SOLOMON: EXPRESSES WHAT HE SEES IN HER. “I compare you,
my love, to a mare among Pharaoh’s chariots.” *Not yet Father, not yet are
we broken, molded and disciplined. The champing horse nature must give way
to the lowly, serving donkey nature. We submit. Change us. *Your :kingdom
come!*

 *3. 1:12 (1:12-14) SHULAMITE: EXPRESSES HER LOVE FOR HIM. “While the king
was on his couch, my nard gave forth its fragrance.” *Incense and praise
and worship begins to ascend unto You and Your Son, O Father! All that we
have, all that we are, all we shall ever be; Cannot repay the love-debt we
owe: We surrender to Thee! *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on earth!*

 *4. 1:15. SOLOMON: BEAUTIFUL AND GENTLE HE SEES HER. “Behold, you are
beautiful, my love; behold, you are beautiful; your eyes are doves.” *You
Father, are the One Who call the things that are not as though they were!
You see us justified, sanctified and *already* glorified! This is what You
tell us in Messiah! *Our :daily :bread Give us this day!*

 *5. 1:16-17 (1:16-2:1) SHULAMITE: COMMENDS THEIR LOVE. “Behold, you are
beautiful, my beloved, truly delightful. Our couch is green; 17 the beams
of our house are cedar; our rafters are pine.” *Father, You have given us
seven things that are *ours*: and here are the first three! We are *Your
habitation*, *Your dwelling place*! Make us more like Yourself. *And
forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven our :debtors!*

 *6. 2:2. SOLOMON: ELEVATES HER ABOVE ALL OTHERS. “As a lily among
brambles, so is my love among the young women.” *We bless You for seeing us
as Your Father and our Father sees us! Father, we bless You for giving us
Jesus, the Lover of our souls! We choose to abide in Him, and share His
rest! *And bring us not into temptation.*

 *7. 2:4 (2:3-7) SHULAMITE: EXULTS IN HIS LOVE. He brought me to the
banqueting house, and his banner over me was love.” *Ah Father! there is *
nothing* too difficult for You! You have given us Jesus, our
Kinsman-Redeemer! There is *none* like unto Him! He has made us a New
Creation, a Lover Creation! *But deliver us from the evil one!*

 *NONE**: 1:6 (1:1-8) SHE: HER LACK. **“Do not gaze at me because I am
dark, because the sun has looked upon me My mother’s sons were angry with
me; they made me keeper of the vineyards, but my own vineyard I have not
kept!” *Father, deliver us from the striving vanity of man’s religious
systems, and bring us into Your vineyard of rest!

 *Quote from C.H. Spurgeon - “He Never Violates the Human Will” - *For it
is not God’s way to make men His servants, except so far as they willingly
yield themselves to Him. He never violates the human will, though He
constantly and effectually influences it.”

 *Our Psalm for the Day: 120:1-2 (120) DELIVER ME, O LORD. “In my distress
I called to the LORD, and he answered me. 2 Deliver me, O LORD, from lying
lips, from a deceitful tongue.” *Hidden in You Father, we become like
Stephen before his persecutors. We too can say, Lord, lay not this sin to
their charge. And Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.

 Suddenly we have left the continent of the vast Hundred and Nineteenth
Psalm for the islands and islets of the Songs of Degrees. It may be well to
engage in protracted devotion upon a special occasion, but this must cast
no slur upon the sacred brevities which sanctify the godly life day by day.
He Who inspired the longest Psalm was equally the Author of the short
compositions which follow it. Subject: A certain author supposes that this
hymn was sung by an Israelite upon leaving his house to go up to Jerusalem.
He thinks that the good man had suffered from the slander of his neighbors
and was glad to get away from their gossip and spend his time in the
happier engagements of the holy feasts. It may be so, but we hope that
pious people were not so foolish as to sing about their bad neighbors when
they were leaving them for a few days.

 120:1. * **In my distress**. * Slander occasions distress of the most
grievous kind. Those who have felt the edge of a cruel tongue know
assuredly that it is sharper than the sword. Calumny rouses our indignation
by a sense of injustice, and yet we find ourselves helpless to fight with
the evil or to act in our own defense. *I cried unto the Lord (or Jehovah**).
** *The wisest course that he could follow. It is of little use to appeal
to our fellows on the matter of slander, for the more we stir in it the
more it spreads. As well plead with panthers and wolves as with
black-hearted traducers. However, when criest to man would be our weakness,
cries to God will be our strength. To Whom should children cry but to their
Father?

 120:2. *Deliver my soul, O Lord, from lying lips.* It will need divine
power to save a man from these deadly instruments. Lips are soft; but when
they are lying lips, they suck away the life of character and are as
murderous as razors.

 120:3. *Or what shall be done unto you, you false tongue? *How shall you
be visited? The law of retaliation can hardly meet the case, since none can
slander the slanderer; he is too black to be blackened; neither would any
of us blacken him if we could. Wretched being! He fights with weapons which
true men cannot touch. Like the cuttlefish, he surrounds himself with an
inky blackness into which honest men cannot penetrate. Like the foul skunk,
he emits an odor of falsehood which cannot be endured by the true; and
therefore he often escapes, unchastized by those whom he has most injured. His
crime, in a certain sense, becomes his shield; men do not care to encounter
so base a foe. But what will God do with lying tongues? He has uttered His
most terrible threats against them, and He will terribly execute them in
due time.

 120:4. *Sharp arrows of the mighty. *What a crime is this to which the
All-merciful allots a doom so dreadful! Let us hate it with perfect hatred.
It is better to be the victim of slander than to be the author of it. The
shafts of calumny will miss the mark, but not so the arrows of God: the
coals of malice will cool, but not the fire of justice. Shun slander as you
would avoid hell. *(From “The Treasury of David” by C.H. Spurgeon, abridged
by D.O. Fuller)*