Hebrews 13 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Sat Apr 27 19:05:30 PDT 2013

April 27, 2013

 *OCT 29 - HEBREWS 13 - LEADERSHIP: APPOINTMENT DEFEATING ANARCHY*

 *1. 13:4 (13:1-6, NNT) BOLD SPEAKING: BECAUSE OF THE LORD. “Let
marriage bein honor among all, and the bed undefiled: for fornicators
and adulterers
:God will judge.” **All* sexual sin outside of marriage, including adultery
within marriage, is a violation against You Father, and against our bodies.
This is a word to *believers*. *Hallowed be your :name!*

 *2. 13:7. RULERS HONORED: BECAUSE OF WORD, FAITH AND RESULTS. “Remember
those ruling over you, men that spoke to you the word of :God; considering
the outcome of their behavior imitate their faith.” *You Father, have
placed leaders over us. When we oppose them, we oppose *You*. *Your
:kingdom come!*

 *3. 13:12-13 (13:8-16) STRANGE DOCTRINES: GUARDED FROM BY RULERS. “Wherefore
Jesus also, that he might sanctify the people through his own :blood,
suffered without the gate. 13 Let us therefore go forth unto him without
the camp, bearing his :reproach.” *This is the teaching of Your appointed
leaders Father, keeping us safe. We accept Your safeguards through them. *Your
:will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 13:17. OBEY RULERS: AS SOUL-WATCHERS. “Obey those ruling over you, and
submit: for THEY watch in behalf of your :souls, as they that shall give
account; that they may do this with joy, and not groaning: for this isunprofit
able for you.” *Forgive us Father, for resisting You by so often rejecting
Your leaders over us. Israel did this to Moses and Samuel. We do it to Your
apostles, prophets and pastors oftentimes today. *Our :daily :bread Give us
this day.*

 *5. 13:18-19. GODLY PRAYERS: COVETED BY PAUL. “Pray for us: for we are
persuaded that we have a good conscience, desiring to behave honorably in
all things. 19 And I exhort the more exceedingly to do this, that I be
restored to you the sooner.” *Without prayer our leaders cannot function
adequately. Father, You have ordained it this way. We are one body, team
members, and dependent one upon another. *And forgive us our :debts, As we
also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 13:20-21. PAUL’S PRAYER: CHRIST-HONORING BENEDICTION. “Now the God of
:peace, who brought again from the dead the great :shepherd of the sheep in
blood of an eternal covenant, our :Lord Jesus, 21 perfect you in every good
to do his :will, to do in us what is well-pleasing in his sight, through
Jesus Christ; to whom the glory unto the ages of the ages. Amen.” *In Jesus
we conquer! *And bring us not into temptation.*

 *7. **13:24-25 (13:22-25) CLOSING EXHORTATION, NEWS AND SALUTATIONS. **“Greet
all that are ruling over you, and all the saints. They of :Italy greet you.
**25 **The grace **be** with you all.” *Father, we too move in the exchange
of greetings. In all things we honor You. *But deliver us from the evil **
one!*

 *NOTE**: 13:5-6 (13:1-6) OUR APPROPRIATE RESPONSE. **“Let your :turn of
mind be without love of money, content with what things you have; for
himself has said, I will in no wise fail you, neither will I in any wise
forsake you. 6 So that we boldly say, The Lord is my helper; I will not
fear: What shall man do to me?” *O what a word of encouragement to your
saints, Father! We receive it!

 *Quote from Frank Bartleman, Azusa Street - *“God has always sought a
humble people. He can use no other... There is always much need of heart
preparation, in humility and separation, before God can consistently come.
The depth of any revival will be determined exactly by the spirit of
repentance that is obtained. In fact, this is the key to every true revival
born of God.”

 *Our Psalm for the Day: 119:130 (119, ESV) YOUR WORD IS A LAMP TO MY
FEET. “The
unfolding of your words gives light; it imparts understanding to the
simple. *We magnify You Father, for Your Word! Your promises are backed by
all the honor of Your Name!

 There is no title to this Psalm; neither is any author’s name mentioned.
It is the longest Psalm, and this is a sufficiently distinctive name for
it. Nor is it long only; for it equally excels in breadth of thought, depth
of meaning, and height of fervor. Many superficial readers have imagined
that it harps upon one string and abounds in pious repetitions and
redundancies; but this arises from the shallowness of the reader’s own
mind: those who have studied this Divine hymn and carefully noted each line
are amazed at the variety and profundity of the thought. The more one
studies it, the fresher it becomes. It contains no idle word; the grapes of
this cluster are almost to bursting full with the new wine of the kingdom.
Again and again have we cried while studying it, “Oh, the depths!” Yet
these depths are hidden beneath an apparent simplicity, as Augustine has
well and wisely said, and this makes the exposition all the more difficult.
We believe that David wrote this Psalm. It is Davidic in tone and
expression, and it tallies with David’s experience in many interesting
points. The one theme is the Word of the Lord. “The most,” says Martin
Boos, “read their Bible like cows that stand in the thick grass, and
trample under their feet the finest flowers and herbs.” It is to be feared
that we too often do the like. This sacred ode is a little Bible, the
Scriptures condensed, a mass of Bibline, Holy Writ rewritten in holy
emotions and actions.

 *NOTES RELATING TO THE PSALM AS A WHOLE*

It is recorded of the celebrated St. Augustine, who among his voluminous
works left a *Comment on the Book of Psalms, *that he delayed to comment on
this one till he had finished the whole Psalter; and then yielded only to
the long and vehement urgency of his friends, “Because,” he says, “as often
as I essayed to think thereon, it always exceed the powers of my intent
thought and the utmost grasp of my faculties.” Q. DeBurgh

 In Matthew Henry’s *Account of the Life and Death of His father, Philip
Henry, *he says: “Once, pressing the study of the Scriptures, he advised us
to take a verse of this Psalm every morning to meditate upon, and so go
over the Psalm twice in the year; and that, says he, will bring you to be
in love with all the rest of the Scriptures. He often said, “All grace
grows as love to the Word of God grows.”

 George Wishart, the chaplain and biographer of *The Great Marquis of
Montrose*, as he was called, would have shared the fate of his illustrious
patron but for the following singular expedient. “When upon the scaffold,
he availed himself of the custom of the times, which permitted the
condemned to choose a Psalm to be sung. He selected the One Hundred
Nineteenth Psalm, and before two-thirds of the Psalm had been sung, a
pardon arrived, and his life was preserved. It may not be out of place to
add that the George Wishart, Bishop of Edinburgh, above referred to, has
been too often confounded with the godly martyr of the same name who lived
and died a century previously.

 It seems to me to be a collection of David’s pious and devout
ejaculations, the short and sudden breathings of his soul to God, which he
wrote down as they occurred, and towards the latter end of his time
gathered them out of day-book where they lay scattered, added to them many
like words, and digested them into this Psalm, in which there is seldom any
coherence between the verses. M. Henry

 I know of no part of the Holy Scriptures where the nature and evidence of
true and sincere godliness are so fully and largely insisted on and
delineated as in the One Hundred Nineteenth Psalm. J. Edwards

 The name Jehovah occurs twenty-two times in the Psalm. Its theme is the
Word of God, which it mentions under one of the ten terms: law, way,
testimony, precept, statute, commandments, judgment, word, saying, truth,
in every except verse one twenty-two. J.D. Murphy.

  EXPOSITION OF ITS VERSES

119:2. *Blessed are they that ke**e**p His testimonies. * What! A second
blessing? Yes, they are doubly blessed whose outward life is supported by
an inward zeal for God’s glory. Blessedness is ascribed to those who
treasure up the testimonies of the Lord: in which is implied that they
search the Scriptures, that the come to an understanding of them, that they
love them, and then that they continue in the practice of them. God’s Word
is His witness or testimony to grand and important truths which concern
Himself and our relation to Him: this we should desire to know; knowing it,
we should believe it; believing it, we should love it; and loving it, we
should hold it fast against all comers. We cannot fight a good fight, nor
finish our course, unless we keep the faith. To this end the Lord must keep
us: only those who are kept by the power of God unto salvation will ever be
able to keep his testimonies. God is not truly sought by the cold
researches of the brain: we must seek Him with the heart. God is One, and
we shall not know Him till our heart is one. A broken heart need not be
distressed at this, for no heart is so whole in its seekings after God as a
heart which is broken, whereof every fragment sighs and cries after the
great Father’s face. A heart may be divided and not broken, and it may be
broken but not divided; and yet again it may be broken and be whole, and it
never can be whole until it is broken.

 119:23. *But Your servant did meditate in Your statutes. *Who were these
malignants that they should rob God of His servant’s attention or deprive
the Lord’s chosen of a moment’s devout communion? The rabble of princes were
not worth five minutes’ thought if those five minutes had to be taken from
holy meditation. It is very beautiful to see the two sittings: the princes
sitting to reproach David, and David sitting with his God and his Bible,
answering his traducers by never answering them at all. Those who feed upon
the Word grow strong and peaceful and are by God’s grace hidden from the
strife of tongues.

 119:78. *I will **meditate** in your precepts. *The verb *asiach, *in the
second clause of the verse, may be rendered as *I will speak of*, as well
as *I will meditate upon*; implying that when he had obtained the victory,
he would proclaim the goodness of God, which he had experienced. *To speak
of God’s statutes* is equivalent to declaring out of the law how faithfully
He guards His saints, how securely He delivers them, and how righteously He
avenges their wrongs. J. Calvin

 119:97. *It is my meditation. *Holy Scripture is not a book for the
slothful; it is not a book which can be interpreted without, and apart from
and by the deniers of the Holy Spirit by Whom it came. Rather it is a
field, upon the surface of which, if sometimes we gather manna easily and
without labor, and given, as were, freely to our hands, yet of which also,
many portions are to be cultivated with pains and toil ere they will yield
food for the use of man. This bread of life also is to be eaten in the
wholesome sweat of our brow.

 119:148. *My eyes prevent the night watches, that I might **meditate** in
Your Word. *The Bible is a book in which we may continually meditate and
yet not exhaust its contents. When David expressed himself in the language
of our text, Holy Writ - the Word of God - was of course a far smaller
volume than it now is, though even now, the Bible is far from a large Book.
Yet David could not, so to speak, get to the end of the Book. He might have
been studying the Book for years - no, we are sure that he had been - and
yet, as though He were just entering on a new course of reading, with
volume upon volume to peruse, he must rise before day to prosecute the
study. *My eyes prevent the night watches, that I might **meditate** in
Your Word. ** *Henry Melville

 *(From: “The Treasury of David” by C.H. Spurgeon, abridged by D.O. Fuller)*