Hebrews 11 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 11:20:07 PDT 2013

April 25, 2013

 *OCT 27 - HEBREWS 11 - FAITH: SWALLOWS UP DOUBT*

 *1. 11:1-2 (NNT) FAITH: ITS STARTLING DEFINITION. “Now faith is assurance
of things hoped for, conviction of things unseen. 2 For therein the elders
had witness borne them.” *Assurance = *title-deed*! Your promises Father,
begin to be fulfilled when we exercise faith in what You have said. We
begin to submit to Kingdom principles when we do this. This is the
beginning of the *Good News* of Your Kingdom. *Hallowed be your :name.*

 *2. 11:3. FAITH: REVEALS NATURE OF GOD’S CREATION. “By faith we understand
that the ages have been framed by God’s word, so that what is seen has not
been made out of things which appear.” *Spiritual invisibility becomes
materially visible when You speak, Father; and You spoke through Christ.
Like Jesus, we commit ourselves to walk well-pleasing to You! *Your
:kingdom come.*

 *3. 11:6 (11:4-12) FAITH EXAMPLES: ABEL THROUGH SARAH. “And without faith
it is impossible to be well-pleasing; for who comes to :God must believe
that he is, and is rewarder of them that seek after him.” *Enoch believed
this; Father, we too would follow in his footsteps. We would know You and
Your Son intimately, love Your supremely, and look to You for our needs. *Your
:will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 11:16 (11:13-16) FAITH’S TESTIMONY: THE CITY OF GOD. “But now they
desire a better, that is, a heavenly: wherefore :God is not ashamed of
them, to be called their God; for he has prepared them a city.” *Father,
forgive us for often falling short of the faith of these Old Covenant
saints. Surely our faith because of the New Covenant, ought to surpass
theirs! And we look for this same city! *Our :daily :bread Give us this day.
*

 *5. 11:17-19 (11:17-31) FAITH EXAMPLES: ABRAHAM THROUGH RAHAB. “By faith
Abraham, being tried, has offered up :Isaac, and who had gladly received
the promises was offering up his only begotten son; 18 he unto whom it was
said [that], In Isaac shall your seed be called; 19 accounting that
God isable to raise up, even
the dead; from whence he did also in a parable receive him back.” *What a
test of faith! But You Father, were with him in it! *And forgive us our
debts, As we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 11:32 (11:32-38) FAITH EXAMPLES: GIDEON THROUGH THE MARTYRS. “And what
more shall I say? for the time will fail me if I tell of Gideon, Barak,
Sampson, Jephthah ; and of David and Samuel and the prophets: who through
faith …” *How weak and limited Satan appears in the light of this. He is
subject to You Father, and as with Job can do nothing to us apart from your
permission! Yes, we heartily accept this! *And bring us not into temptation!
*

 *7. 11:39-40. FAITH’S PATIENCE: PERFECTION FOR ALL AT THE LAST DAY. “And
these all, witnessed to through their faith, received not the promise, 40 :God
having foreseen something better concerning us, that apart from us they be
not made perfect.” *At the last day, the day of resurrection of the body,
the day of the judgment seat of Christ when the saints will be rewarded; at
that day Father, shall saints *both living and dead* be *together*rewarded.
*But deliver us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: 11:7 (11:4-12) **FAITH OF NOAH! “By faith Noah, warned concerning
the things not seen as yet, with godly fear prepared an ark to the saving
of his :house; through which he condemned the world, and became heir of the
righteousness which is according to faith.” *Father, we too would follow
the example of Noah!

 *Quote from William Ellery Channing, Self-Culture - *“God be thanked for
books. They are the voices of the distant and of the dead, and make us
heirs of the spiritual life of past ages.”

 *Our Psalm for the Day: 117 (ESV) THE LORD’S FAITHFULNESS ENDURES
FOREVER. Praise
the LORD, all nations! Extol him, all peoples! 2 For great is his steadfast
love (CHEsed) toward us, and the faithfulness of the LORD endures forever.
Praise the LORD! *Father, we join them in hallowing Your Name! We have all
been created by You in Christ; just so have we also been redeemed and
sustained. You indeed are worthy of our praise!

 This Psalm, which is very little in its letter, is exceedingly large in
its spirit; for, bursting beyond all bounds of race of nationality, it
calls upon all mankind to praise the name of the Lord. The same divine
Spirit which expatiates in the One Hundred Nineteenth, here condenses His
utterances into two short verses, but yet the same infinite fullness is
present and perceptible. It may be worth noting that this is at once the
shortest chapter of the Scriptures and the central portion of the whole
Bible.

 117:1. *O praise the Lord, all ye nations. *This is an exhortation to the
Gentiles to glorify Jehovah and a clear proof that the Old Testament spirit
differed widely from that narrow and contracted national bigotry with which
the Jews of or Lord’s Day became so inveterately diseased. *(From “The
Treasury of David” by C.H. Spurgeon, abridged by D.O. Fuller)*