Job 3 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 14:31:31 PDT 2013

April 9, 2013

 *OCT 17 - JOB 3 - OPENING LAMENTATION*

 *1. 3:1 (ESV). JOB: CURSES HIS BIRTH DAY. “After this Job opened his mouth
and cursed the day of his birth.” *Father, we will not judge Job in this,
nor follow his example. We do not know what we would be tempted to do if we
were in his position. Maligning comes naturally to us when we are in deep
throes of testing. *Hallowed be your :name.*

 *2. 3:2-3 (3:2-10) JOB: ENLARGES ON THIS. And Job said, 3 “Let the day
perish on which I was born, and the night that said, ‘A man is conceived.’”
*Again we hear Job, Father, yet we refuse to follow at this time. The
bitterness of unfathomable testing was upon him. Did his friends truly
understand his situation? *Your :kingdom come!*

 *3. 3:11, 16 (3:11-16) JOB: LAMENTS HIS INFANCY. “Why did I not die at
birth, come out from the womb and expire? 16 Or why was I not as a hidden
stillborn child, as infants who never see the light?” *O the bitterness of
mysterious suffering! How ill it becomes us to judge those in the throes of
it! *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on earth!*

 *4. 3:17. JOB: THE STATE OF DEATH. “There the wicked cease from troubling,
and there the weary are at rest.” *Righteous and wicked alike are at rest
in death: or at least so Job thought! Forgive us Father, for concluding
that which is beyond our understanding. How easy to surmise and reason from
imperfect understanding! *Our :daily :bread Give us this day!*

 *5. 3:18-19. JOB: THE COMMON STATE OF ALL IN DEATH. “There the prisoners
are at ease together; they hear not the voice of the taskmaster. 19 The
small and the great are there, and the slave is free from his master.” *Father,
remind us of Abraham and Lazarus in Sheol (Hades). Job did not have perfect
understanding of this. The righteous in suffering, is better off than the
wicked in blessing (Psalm 73). *And forgive us our :debts, As we also have
forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 3:23-24 (3:20-24) JOB: LAMENTS ALL MANHOOD. “Why is light given to a
man whose way is hidden, whom God has hedged in? 24 For my sighing comes
instead of my bread, and my groanings are poured out like water.” *No
chastisement for the present is pleasant - but *afterwards*...! Help us
Father, to live in this truth. *And bring us not into temptation.*

 *7. 3:25-26. JOB: HIS FEARFUL THOUGHTS FULFILLED. “For the thing that I
fear comes upon me, and what I dread befalls me. 26 I am not at ease, nor
am I quiet; I have no rest, but trouble comes.” *Father, our hearts go out
to Job in his trouble, and to him the *mystery* of his suffering. But our
times are in Your hands! *But deliver us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: **Quote from Benjamin Franklin (Remark during signing of
Declaration of Independence.)*

We must all hang together, else we shall all hang separately.

 *Our Psalm for the Day: 107:15-16; 23:24 (107) LET THE REDEEMED OF THE
LORD SAY SO! “Let them thank the LORD for his steadfast love (CHEsed), for
his wondrous works to the children of man! 16 For he shatters the doors of
bronze and cuts in two the bars of iron.” *Thank You Father, for this
evidence of Your grace and Covenant Love! In the end, You did this for Job
too! *107:23-24 “Some went down to the sea in ships, doing business on the
great waters; 24 they saw the deeds of the LORD, his wondrous works in the
deep.” *Mysteries surround You like clouds, Father. But when we *pray* and *
obey*, You reveal Yourself to us. O teach us the simplicity of walking with
You! Teach us that through the *Atonement*, Jesus settled the “sin”
question.

 This is a choice song for the “redeemed of the Lord” (Vs. 2). Although it
celebrates providential deliverances, and therefore may be sung by any man
whose life has been preserved in time of danger; yet under cover of this,
it mainly magnifies the Lord for spiritual blessings, of which temporal
favors are but types and shadows. The theme is thanksgiving and the motives
for it. The construction of the Psalm is highly poetical, and merely as a
composition it would be hard to find its compeer among human productions.
The bards of the Bible hold no second place among the sons of song.

 107:2. *Whom He has redeemed from the hand of the enemy. *What gratitude
can suffice for a deliverance from the power of sin, death, and hell? In
heaven itself there is no sweeter hymn that that whose burden, is, “You
have redeemed us unto God by Your blood.”

 107:6. *Then they cried unto the Lord in their trouble. *Some men will
never pray till they are half-starved, and for their best interests it is
far better for them to be empty and faint that to be full and
stout-hearted. If hunger brings us to our knees, it is more useful to us
than feasting; if thirst drives us to the fountain, it is better than the
deepest draughts of worldly joys; and if fainting leads to crying, it is
better than the strength of the mighty.

 107:15. *Oh that men would praise the Lord for His goodness, and for His
wonderful works to the children of men! *The sight of such goodness makes a
right-minded man long to see the Lord duly honored, for His amazing mercy.
When dungeon doors fly open and chains are snapped, who can refuse to adore
the glorious goodness of the Lord? It makes the heart sick to think of such
gracious mercies remaining unsung: we cannot but plead with men to remember
their obligations and extol the Lord, their God.

 107:24. *And His wonders in the deep. *All believers have not the same
deep experience; but for wise ends, that they may do business for Him, the
Lord sends some of His saints to the sea of soul-trouble, and there they
see, as others do not, the wonders of divine grace. Sailing over the deeps
of inward depravity, the waste waters of poverty, the billows of
persecution, and the rough waves of temptation, they need God above all
others, *and they find Him*!

 107:39. *Again, they are diminished and brought low through oppression,
affliction, and sorrow. *Trials are of various kinds; here we have three
words for affliction, and there are numbers more: God has many rods, and we
have many smarts, and all because we have many sins. *(From “The Treasury
of David” by C.H. Spurgeon, abridged by D.O. Fuller)*