Job 1-2 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 14:05:45 PDT 2013

April 8, 2013

 *OCT 16 - JOB 1-2 - PROLOGUE*

 *1. 1:1 (1:1-5) JOB: HIS HISTORICAL BACKGROUND. “There was a man in the
land of Uz whose name was Job, and that man was blameless and upright, one
who feared God and turned away from evil.” *What a testimony You give Your
servant Job, Father! Righteousness in Your Kingdom is written all over him.
May we too experience the peace and joy of Your Kingdom, even in greater
measure than Job! *Hallowed be your :name!*

 *2. 1:8 (1:6-11) JOB: DISCUSSED BY JEHOVAH AND SATAN. And the LORD said to
Satan, “Have you considered my servant Job, that there is none like him on
the earth, a blameless and upright man, who fears God and turns away from
evil?” *O that you could boast to Satan for each one of us as You did with
Job, Father! And Satan could not refute Your boast, Father! *Your :kingdom
come!*

 *3. 1:12 (1:12-19) JOB: TURNED OVER TO SATAN WITH LIMITATIONS. And the
LORD said to Satan, “Behold, all that he has is in your hand. Only against
him do not stretch out your hand.” So Satan went out from the presence of
the LORD.” *With God there are no second causes. You Father, will either *do
* it, or *permit* it! For Your Glory You permitted Satan to test Job. This
cannot happen to *any* of us apart from Your permission. *Your :will be
done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 1:20-22. JOB: JUSTIFIES GOD’S CONFIDENCE IN HIM. “Then Job arose and
tore his robe and shaved his head and fell on the ground and worshiped. 21 And
he said, ‘Naked I came from my mother’s womb, and naked shall I return. The
LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.” 22
In all this Job did not sin or charge God with wrong.” *O forgive us
Father, for falling short of this magnificent example of Job! And to think
he was entirely ignorant concerning this contest. Help us, Father. We would
say, We do not always understand You, but we will *always* trust You! *Our
:daily :bread Give us this day.*

 *5. 2:3 (2:1-8) JOB: TESTED BY SATAN MORE SEVERELY. And the LORD said to
Satan, “Have you considered my servant Job, that there is none like him on
the earth, a blameless and upright man, who fears God and turns away from
evil? He still holds fast his integrity, although you incited me against
him to destroy him without cause.” *Father, You were with Job in his first
testing, and he vindicated Your trust in him! We too would be faithful to
You in the times of darkness of soul, when we must walk entirely by faith! *And
forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven our :debtors!*

 *6. 2:9-10. JOB: RETAINS INTEGRITY IN THIS AND WITH WIFE. Then his wife
said to him, “Do you still hold fast your integrity? Curse God and die.” 10 But
he said to her, “You speak as one of the foolish women would speak. Shall
we receive good from God, and shall we not receive evil?” In all this Job
did not sin with his lips. *It is through chastisement that we may draw
most closely to You, Father. Job chose to submit himself to Your
inscrutable ways, and *realize* Your Kingdom! Through this he experienced
Your *double portion*! *And bring us not into temptation!*

 *7. 2:11 (2:11-13) JOB: MOURNED OVER BY THREE FRIENDS. “Now when Job’s
three friends heard of all this evil that had come upon him, they came each
from his own place, Eliphaz the Temanite, Bildad the Shuhite, and Zophar
the Naamathite. They made an appointment together to come to show him
sympathy and comfort him.” *Their motives were good; their reactions were
terrible. Father, give us comforters, *impregnated with Your Kingdom
principles*! *But deliver us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: 1:9-11 (1:6-11) JOB: NOT UNDERSTOOD BY SATAN! **Then Satan
answered the LORD and said, “Does Job fear God for no good reason? 10 Have
you not put a hedge around him and his house and all that he has, on every
side? You have blessed the work of his hands, and his possessions have
increased in the land. 11 But stretch out your hand and touch all that he
has, and he will curse you to your face.” *

 *Quote by Patrick Henry, Speech - *Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as
to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty
God! I know not what course others may take; but, as for me, give me
liberty, or give me death!

 *Our Psalm for the Day: 106:13-15 (106) GIVE THANKS TO THE LORD, FOR HE IS
GOOD. “But they soon forgot his works; they did not wait for his counsel. 14
But they had a wanton craving in the wilderness, and put God to the test in
the desert; 15 he gave them what they asked, but sent a wasting disease
among them.” *Forgive us Father, for our carnal ways! We suffer leanness of
soul because of our lust. But we bless You for tempering Your wrath with *
mercy*!

 This Psalm begins and ends with “hallelujah” - “Praise ye the Lord.” the
space between these two descriptions of praise is filled up with the
mournful details of Israel’s sin and the extraordinary patience of God; and
truly we do well to bless the Lord both at the beginning and the end of our
meditations when sin and grace are the themes. It was probably written by
David - at any rate its first and last two verses are to be found in the
sacred song which David delivered to Asaph when he brought up the ark of
the Lord (1 Chronicles 16:34-36). While we are studying this holy Psalm,
let us all along see ourselves in the Lord’s ancient people, and bemoan our
own provocations of the Most High, at the same time admiring His infinite
patience and adoring Him because of it. May the Holy Spirit sanctify it to
the promotion of humility and gratitude.

 106:1. *Praise ye the Lord. *If David were present in churches when
quartets and choirs carry on all the singing, he would turn to the
congregation and say, “Praise *ye* the Lord.” Our meditation dwells upon
human sin; but on all occasions and in all occupations, it is seasonable
and profitable to praise the Lord. *O give thanks unto the Lord; for He is
good.* To us needy creatures, the goodness of God is the first attribute
which excites praise, and that praise takes the form of gratitude.

 106:6. *We have sinned with our fathers. *Here begins a long and
particular confession. Confession of sin is the readiest way to secure an
answer to the prayer of verse 4; God visits with His salvation the soul
which acknowledges its need of a Savior. Men may be said to have sinned
with their fathers when they imitate them, when they follow the same
objects, and make their own lives to be mere continuations of the follies
of their sires. Moreover, Israel was but one nation in all time, and the
confession which follows sets forth the national rather than the personal
sin of the Lord’s people. They enjoyed national privileges, and therefore
they shared in national guilt. *We have committed iniquity, we have done
wickedly.* Thus is the confession repeated three times in token of the
sincerity and heartiness of it. Sins of omission, commission, and rebellion
we ought to acknowledge under distinct heads, that we may show a due sense
of the number and heinousness of our offenses.

 106:15. *But sent leanness into their soul. *Ah, that “but”; It embittered
all. The meat was poison to them when it came without a blessing; whatever
it might do in fattening the body, it was poor stuff when it made the soul
lean. How earnestly might Israel have unprayed her prayers had she known
what would come with their answer! The prayers of lust will have to be wept
over. We fret and fume till we have our desire, and then we have to fret
still more because the attainment of it ends in bitter disappointment.

 106:17. *The earth opened and swallowed up Dathan, and covered the company
of Abiram. *Moses had opened the sea for their deliverance, and now that
they provoke him, the earth opens for their destruction. It was time that
the nakedness of their sins was covered and that the earth should open her
mouth to devour those who opened their mouths against the Lord and His
servants.

 106:24. *They believed not His word. **This is the root sin*. If we do not
believe the Lord’s Word, we shall think lightly of His promised gifts.
“They could not enter in because of unbelief” - this was the key which
turned the lock against them. When pilgrims to the Celestial City begin to
doubt the Lord of the way, they soon come to think little of the rest of
the journey’s end, and this is the surest way to make them bad travelers.
Israel’s unbelief demanded spies to see the land; the report of those spies
was of a mingled character, and so a fresh crop of unbelief sprang up with
consequences most deplorable.

 106:30. *Then stood up Phineas, and executed judgments and so the plague
was stayed.* His honest spirit could not endure that lewdness should be
publicly practiced at a time when a fast had been proclaimed. Such daring
defiance of God and of all law he could not brook and so with his sharp
javelin, he transfixed two guilty ones in the very act. It was a holy
passion which inflamed him, and no enmity to either of the persons whom he
slew.

 106:31. *And that was counted unto him for righteousness unto all
generations forevermore. *He was impelled by motives so pure that what
would otherwise have been a deed of blood was justified in the sight of
God; nay, more, was made the evidence that Phineas was righteous. No
personal ambition, or private revenge, or selfish passion, or even
fanatical bigotry, inspire the man of God, but *zeal* for God, indignation
at open filthiness, and true patriotism urged him on.

 106:44. *Nevertheless He regarded their affliction, when He heard their
cry.* His fiercest wrath towards His own people is only a temporary flame,
but His love burns on forever like the light of His own immortality. *From
“The Treasury of David” by C.H. Spurgeon, abridged by D.O. Fuller)*