Zechariah 9-14 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 09:51:00 PDT 2013

April 4, 2013

 *OCT 13 - ZECHARIAH 9-14 - ULTIMATE TRIUMPH OF GOD’S KINGDOM*

 *1. 9:10 (9:1-17, ESV) MESSIAH: DOMINION FROM SEA TO SEA. “I will cut off
the chariot from Ephraim and the war horse from Jerusalem; and the battle
bow shall be cut off, and he shall speak peace to the nations; his rule
shall be from sea to sea, and from the River to the ends of the earth.” *O
Father, we honor Your choice of Jesus as Messiah, Savior and Lord. *He* is
Jehovah the Savior. Your Kingdom in the Spirit finds expression in
Him. *Hallowed
be your :name!*

 *2. 10:1 (10:1-12) MESSIAH: RAIN FOR JUDAH AND JOSEPH. “Ask rain from the
LORD in the season of the spring rain, from the LORD who makes the storm
clouds, and he will give them showers of rain, to everyone the vegetation
in the field.” *It’s the moving of Your Spirit, Lord, we need! Without You
Father, we are nothing. Let Your face shine upon us, and we live. Your will
is that we drink of Latter Rain. *Your :kingdom come.*

 *3. 11:12-13 (11:1-17) MESSIAH REJECTED AT FIRST COMING. Then I said to
them, “If it seem good to you, give me my wages, but if not, keep them.”
And they weighed out as my wages thirty pieces of silver. 13 Then the LORD
said to me, “Throw it to the potter” - the lordly price at which I was
priced by them. So I took the thirty pieces of silver and threw them into
the house of the LORD, to the potter.” *Father, our hearts are grieved at
the treatment of Your Son. But - You gave Him for our *Redemption*! *Your
will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 12:1-2a (12:1-3) ISRAEL AND JERUSALEM BESIEGED. “The burden of the
word of the LORD concerning Israel. Thus declares the LORD, who stretched
out the heavens and founded the earth and formed the spirit of man within. 2a
“Behold, I am about to make Jerusalem a cup of staggering to all the
surrounding peoples.” *Our spirits come from You, Father. We are made in
Your image, after Your likeness - You who are *spirit*. Because we are
Yours by creation and Yours by Redemption, and Yours by sustaining power,
we acknowledge Your lordship.

*Our :daily :bread Give us this day.*

 *5. 12:8 (12:4-14) MESSIAH: SUPERNATURAL DELIVERANCE FOR JUDAH AND
JERUSALEM.*

“*On that day the LORD will protect the inhabitants of Jerusalem, so that
the feeblest among them on that day shall be like David, and the house of
David shall be like God, like the angel of the LORD, going before them.” *Saul
slew his 1000’s, but David his 10,000’s. But if we be strong as the angel
of Jehovah,what would You expect of us, Father? And if we walk in prayer
multiplication (Deuteronomy 32:30; Ecclesiastes 4:9-12; Matthew 18:19),
what might You expect of us? We are staggered! *And forgive us our :debts,
As we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 13:7 (13:1-9) MESSIAH: REVEALED AS CRUCIFIED SAVIOR. “Awake, O sword,
against my shepherd, against the man who stands next to me,” declares the
LORD of hosts. “Strike the shepherd, and the sheep will be scattered; I
will turn my hand against the little ones.” **Jesus* was born to *die*. *
Redemption* was the great work for which He came, with Justification,
Propitiation and Reconciliation: *All* through His blood! *And bring us not
into temptation.*

 *7. 14:12 (14:1-21) MESSIAH: CONSUMMATES HIS KINGDOM. “And this shall be
the plague with which the LORD will strike all the peoples that wage war
against Jerusalem: their flesh will rot while that are still standing on
their feet, their eyes will rot in their sockets, and their tongues will
rot in their mouths.” *It sounds like atomic disaster! But whatever it is,
You send Jesus Father, to judge the world and reward Your saints. *But
deliver us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE: 12:10 (12:4-14) MESSIAH: HOW HE WILL OPEN EYES! “And I will pour
out on the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem a spirit of
grace and [pleas for mercy, so that, when they look on me, on him whom they
have pierced, they shall mourn for him, as one mourns for an only child,
and weep bitterly over him, as one weeps over a firstborn.” *This is when
the nation of Israel will be born in a day!

 *Quote from Abraham Lincoln, Speech at Gettysburg - *That this nation,
under God, shall have a new birth of freedom; and that government of the
people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

 *Our Psalm for the Day: 103:7 (103) BLESS THE LORD, O MY SOUL. “He made
known his ways to Moses, his acts to the people of Israel.” *Father, we
would choose to be like Moses and know Your *ways*. Before it comes to pass
we would know Your purposes, so we can work with and under You. Especially
we would let Christ live in us as the Truth. *Hallowed be your :name! *

 103:1. *And all that is within me, bless His holy name.* Halfhearted,
ill-conceived, unintelligent praises are not such as we should render to
our loving Lord. If the law of justice demanded all our heart and soul and
mind for the Creator, much more may the law of gratitude put in a
comprehensive claim for the homage of our whole being to the God of grace.

 103:2. *And forget not all His benefits. *Remember how the Persian king,
when he could not sleep, read the chronicles of the empire, and discovered
that one who had saved his life had never been rewarded. How quickly did he
do him honor! The Lord has saved us with a great salvation; shall we render
no recompense? The name of *ingrate* is one of the most shameful that a man
can wear; surely we cannot be content to run the risk of such a brand. Let
us awake then and with intense enthusiasm bless Jehovah.

 103:3. *Who forgives all your iniquities. *Here David begins his list of
blessings received, which he rehearses as themes and arguments for praise.
He selects a few of the choicest pearls from the casket of divine love,
threads them on the string of memory, and hangs them about the neck of
gratitude. *God gives efficacy to medicine for the body* and His grace
sanctifies the soul. Spiritually we are daily under His care, and He visits
us, as the surgeon does his patient; healing still (for that is the exact
word) each malady as it arises. No disease of our soul baffles His skill;
He goes on healing all; and He will do so till the last trace of taint has
gone from our nature. The two *alls* of this verse are further reasons for *
all* that is within us praising the Lord.

 103:4. *Who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies. *Our sin
deprived us of all our honors, a bill of attainder was issued against us as
traitors; but He Who removed the sentence of death by redeeming us from
destruction restores to us more than all our former honors by crowning us
anew. Shall God crown us and shall we not crown Him? Up, my soul, and cast
your crown at His feet, and in lowliest reverence worship Him, Who has so
greatly exalted you as to lift you from the dunghill and set you among
princes.

 103:5. *Who satisfies you mouth with good things, *or rather “filling with
good your soul.” No man is ever filled to satisfaction but a believer, and
only God Himself can satisfy even him. *So that your youth is renewed like
the eagle’s. *He who sat moping with the owl in the last Psalm here flies
on high with the eagle: the Lord works marvelous changes in us, and we
learn by such experiences to bless His holy name. To grow from a sparrow to
an eagle and leave the wilderness of the pelican to mount among the stars
is enough to make any man cry, “Bless the Lord, O my soul.”

 103:10. *He has not dealt with us after our sins; nor rewarded us
according to our iniquities. *Else had Israel perished outright, and we
also had long ago been consigned to the lowest hell. We ought to praise the
Lord for what He has not done as well as for what He has wrought for us;
even the negative side deserves our adoring gratitude. Up to this moment,
at our very worst estate, we have never suffered as we deserved to suffer;
our daily lot has not been apportioned upon the rule of what we merited,
but on the far different measure of undeserved kindness. Shall we not bless
the Lord? Every power of our being might have been rent with anguish
instead of which we are all in the enjoyment of comparative happiness, and
many of us are exceedingly favored with inward joy; let then every faculty,
yes, all that is within us, bless His holy name.

 103:12. *As far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our
transgressions from us.* O glorious verse, no word even upon the inspired
page can excel it! Sin is removed from us by a miracle of love! What a load
to move, and yet is it removed so far that the distance is incalculable.
Fly as far as the wing of imagination can bear you, and you journey through
space eastward, you are farther from the west at every beat of your wing.
If sin be removed so far, then we may be sure that the scent, the trace,
the very memory of it must be entirely gone. If this be the distance of its
removal, there is no shade of fear of its every being brought back again;
even Satan himself could not achieve such a task. Our sins are gone; Jesus
has borne them away. Far as the place of sunrise is removed from yonder
west, where the sun sinks when his day’s journey is done, so far were our
sins carried by our scapegoat nineteen centuries ago, and now if they be
sought for, they shall not be found, yes, they shall not be, says the Lord.
Come, my soul, awaken yourself thoroughly and glorify the Lord for this
richest of blessings. Hallelujah. The Lord alone could remove sin at all,
and He has done it in a godlike fashion, making a final sweep of all our
transgressions.

 103:17. *But the mercy of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting upon
them that fear Him.* Blessed *but*! How vast the contrast between the
fading flower and the everlasting God! How wonderful that His mercy should
link our frailty with His eternity and make us everlasting, too! From old
eternity the Lord viewed His people as objects of mercy, and as such chose
them to become partakers of His grace; the doctrine of eternal election is
most delightful to those who have light to see it and love wherewith to
accept it. It is a theme for deepest thought and highest joy. *(From “The
Treasury of David” by C.H. Spurgeon, abridged by D.O. Fuller)*