Zechariah 1-6 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 09:39:58 PDT 2013

April 2, 2013

*OCT 11 - ZECHARIAH 1-6 - EIGHT VISIONS*

 *1. 1:2-3 (1:1-6, ESV) ZECHARIAH: CALLS JUDAH BACK TO GOD. “The LORD was
very angry with your fathers. 3 Therefore say to them, Thus declares the
LORD of hosts: Return to me, says the LORD of hosts, and I will return to
you, says the LORD of hosts.” *Repentance follows heart contrition, leading
unto *reconciliation* with You again: *this* is Your call unto us, Father.
We submit and return. *Hallowed be your :name.*

 *2. 1:16 (1:7-21) VISIONS: HORSES, HORNS AND CARPENTERS. “Therefore, thus
says the LORD, I have returned to Jerusalem with mercy; my house shall be
built in it, declares the LORD of hosts and the measuring line shall be
stretched out over Jerusalem.” *We bless You for Your Plumb line, Father.
We bless You for Your promise to rebuild the city churches of the world. We
bless You for Jerusalem, the type of the City of God! *Your :kingdom come.*

 *3. 2:10 (2:1-13) VISION: MAN WITH THE MEASURING LINE. “Sing and rejoice,
O daughter of Zion, for behold, I come and I will dwell in your midst,
declares the LORD.” *Jehovah Father, You are *Jehovah Shammah* (Ezekiel
48:25). Your Name is upon the Restored City, the New Wineskin! You are also
Jehovah Jireh, the LORD our Provider! *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so
on earth.*

 *4. 3:9 (3:1-10) VISIONS: JOSHUA AND THE BRANCH. “For behold, on the stone
that I have set before Joshua, on a single stone with seven eyes, I will
engrave its inscription, declares the LORD of hosts, and I will remove the
iniquity of this land in a single day.” *Reconciliation to You, Jehovah
Father, comes only through Jesus and Your seven-fold Spirit! Your Name
Jehovah is engraved upon Your Son! Forgive us for being so blind and dim of
vision, in that we fail to perceive the awesome majesty of this act! *Our
:daily :bread Give us this day.*

 *5. 4:10 (4:1-5:4) VISIONS: CANDLESTICK AND FLYING SCROLL. “For whoever
has despised the day of small things shall rejoice, and shall see the plumb
line in the hand of Zerubbabel. “These seven are the eyes of the LORD,
which range through the whole earth.” *Your plumb line Jehovah Father, has
come to the Church, and we are found wanting. We acknowledge and confess
it. But *You* Lord Jesus, are rebuilding and restoring Your church by Your
Spirit. We submit to the purging and pruning, that we might be found worthy
of Your last day army. *And forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven
our :debtors.*

 *6. 6:4-5 (5:5-6:8) VISIONS: EPHAH AND CHARIOTS. “Then I answered and said
to the angel who talked with me, ‘What are these, my lord?’ 5 And the angel
answered and said to me, ‘These are going out to the four winds of heaven,
after presenting themselves before the LORD of all the earth.’” *Father,
how Great and Majestic You are! You’ve got the whole, wide world *in Your
hands*! Satan is a squatter. Jesus stripped him of legal authority at
Calvary. Open our eyes that we may see! *And bring us not into temptation.*

 *7. 6:15 (6:9-15) PROPHECY: SIGN OF JOSHUA CROWNED. “And those who are far
off shall come and help to build the temple of the LORD. And you shall know
that the LORD of hosts has sent me to you. And this shall come to pass, if
you will diligently obey the voice of the LORD your God.” *Father, we bless
You for Joshua the high priest, Type and Forerunner of Christ Jesus the *
Branch*, Who triumphantly builds His church today! *But deliver us from the
evil one!*

 *NOTE**: 4:6-7 (4:1-5:4) GOD’S SPIRIT: CAUSE OF HIS TRIUMPH. **Then he
said to me, “This is the word of the LORD to Zerubbabel: Not by might, nor
by power, but by my Spirit, says the LORD of hosts. 7 Who are you, O great
mountain? Before Zerubbabel you shall become a plain. And he shall bring
forward the top stone amid shouts of ‘Grace, grace to it!’” *What a
revelation!

 *Quote by Abraham Lincoln, Speech, Republican State Convention, 1858 - *I
believe this government cannot endure permanently half slave and half free.

 *Our Psalm for the Day: 101:1-2 (101) I WILL WALK WITH INTEGRITY. “I will
sing of steadfast love and justice; to you, O LORD, I will make music. 2 I
will ponder the way that is blameless. Oh when will you come to me? I will
walk with integrity of heart within my house.” *We bless You Father, O
Great Jehovah, for the heart of Your servant David. He loved righteousness
and hated iniquity. He desired Your judgment on lawlessness.

 *Title: “A Psalm of David.” *This is just such a Psalm as the man after
God’s own heart would compose when he was about to become a king in Israel.
It is David all over, straight-forward, resolute, devout; there is not
trace of policy or vacillation - the Lord has appointed him to be king, and
he knows it; therefore he purposes in all things to behave as becomes a
monarch whom the Lord Himself has chosen. If we call this *“The Psalm of
Pious Resolutions,”* we shall perhaps remember it all the more readily.
After songs of praise a Psalm of practice not only makes variety but comes
in most fittingly. We never praise the Lord better than when we do those
things which are pleasing in His sight.

 101:1. *I will sing of mercy and judgment. *We ought as much to bless the
Lord for the judgment with which He chastens our sin as for the mercy with
which He forgives it; there is as much love in the blows of His hand as in
the kisses of His mouth.

 101:2. *O when will You come unto me? *If God be with us, we shall neither
err in judgment nor transgress in character; His presence brings us both
wisdom and holiness; away from God, we are away from safety. *I will walk
with my house with a perfect heart. *Reader, how fares it with your family?
Do you sing in the choir and sin in the chamber? Are you a saint abroad and
a devil at home? For shame! What we are at home, that we are indeed. He
cannot be a good king whose palace is the haunt of vice, nor he a true
saint whose habitation is a scene of strife, nor he a faithful minister
whose household dreads his appearance at the fireside.

 101:5. *Whoever privately slanders his neighbor, him will I cut off. *To
give one’s neighbor a stab in the dark is one of the most atrocious of
crimes and cannot be too heartily reprobated, yet such as are guilty of it
often find patronage in high places and are considered to be men of
penetration, trusty ones who have a keen eye and take care to keep their
lords will posted up.

 101:6. *He that walks in a perfect way, he shall serve me. *What I wish
myself to be, that I desire my servant to be. Employers are to a great
degree responsible for their servants, and it is customary to blame a
master if he retains in his service persons of notorious character;
therefore, lest we become partakers of other men’s sins, we shall do well
to decline the services of bad characters. *(From “The Treasury of David”
by C.H. Spurgeon, abridged by D.O. Fuller)*