Joel - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 09:29:28 PST 2013

March 4, 2013

 *SEP 14 - JOEL: THE DAY OF JEHOVAH COMES*

 *1. 1:7 (1:1-12, ESV) BABYLON: GOD’S INSTRUMENT AGAINST JUDAH. “It has
laid waste my vine and splintered my fig tree; it has stripped off their
bark and thrown it down; their branches are made white.” **For Revival*:
Before additions - must *first* come subtractions! Father, You use a
remnant to pray through, before the multitudes come to the valley of
decision - this is the way of Your Kingdom. We remember Gideon and his 300!
*Hallowed be your :name!*

 *2. 1:14 (1:13-14) JUDAH: AN APPROPRIATE RESPONSE. “Consecrate a fast;
call a solemn assembly. Gather the elders and all the inhabitants of the
land to the house of the LORD your God, and cry out to the LORD.” *Lord
Jesus, You assumed Your disciples would *fast* (Matthew 6:16-18). Father,
those with a heart after You follow Your Son in *fasting* (Psalm 69:10). We
follow Paul in *fastings* often (2 Corinthians 11:27), as he followed
Jesus! *Your :kingdom come!*

 *3. 2:1 (1:15-2:11) DAY OF JEHOVAH: INCENTIVE TO REPENTANCE. “Blow a
trumpet in Zion; sound an alarm on my holy mountain! Let all the
inhabitants of the land tremble, for the day of the LORD is coming; it is
near.” *What a fearful day is this! Let us not follow the siren-call of
false prophets who heal Your people slightly, and preach a watered-down
Gospel! In the midst of judgment we read Psalm 91, while 1000’s and
10,000’s fall on either side. *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on
earth!*

 *4. 2:17 (2:12-27) REPENTANCE PRAYER & FASTING: KEY TO RESTORATION! **“Between
the vestibule and the altar let the priests, the ministers of the LORD,
weep and say, ‘Spare your people, O LORD, and make not your heritage a
reproach, a byword among the nations.’ Why should they say among the
peoples, ‘Where is their God?’” *O forgive us Father, for being so
calloused, hardened and blind! May we understand the times in which we
live, and as a godly remnant press in to qualify as ministers first to You
in the inner court! *Our :daily :bread Give us this day**.*

 *5. 2:28-29 (2:28-32) HOLY SPIRIT AND REPENTANCE. “And it shall come to
pass afterward, that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh; your sons and
your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, and your
young men shall see vision. 29 Even on the male and female servants in
those days I will pour out my Spirit.” *Now Father, we see Your great
faithfulness! In Christ Jesus you have blessed us abundantly with all
heavenly blessings. We respond to this upward calling in Christ Jesus. *And
forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 3:14 (3:1-16) ARMAGGEDON. “Multitudes, multitudes, in the valley of
decision! For the day of the LORD is near in the valley of decision.” *But
first Father, You need a godly remnant who will pay the price, and go in
beyond the veil to minister to You. *Then* the Spirit will bring true
contrition and repentance to the multitudes. *And bring us not into
temptation.*

 *7. 3:17 (3:17-21) JUDAH: RESTORATION FOLLOWING ARMAGEDDON. “So you shall
know that I am the LORD your God, who dwells in Zion, my holy mountain. And
Jerusalem shall be holy, and strangers shall never again pass through
it.” *Hallelujah!
*This* is the word of the Lord! Father, we bless You for Your final
chapter. We know the end from the beginning. It was all legally won at
Calvary. Soon it will be vitally appropriated! * But deliver us from the
evil one!*

 *NOTE**: 2:23 (2:12-27) AN EXTRAORDINARY PROMISE! **“Be glad, O children
of Zion, and rejoice in the LORD your God, for he has given the early rain
for your vindication; he has poured down for you abundant rain, the early
and the latter rain, as before.” * - or “The early and the latter rain” (A.V.).
Our times Father, are in Your hands.

 Some may ask, “But what motivated you to prepare this Daily Devotional of
“Through the Bible in a Year? Actually it was because of Larry Lea. He read
in Matthew 26:40 the words of Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane to Peter,
James and John: “Could you not watch with me one hour?” This so challenged
him that he prepared a one hour devotional based on the 7 Jehovah Names of
God. The problem was, he only had this one devotional. After using it each
day for several months, one wife told her husband, “If you use the words
from this devotional, ‘You will become the head and not the tail’ once
more, I’ll scream! This gave me the thought - If I prepare a Daily
Devotional of “Through the Bible in a Year” where one can pray an hour with
a different setting 365 times a year - then it would no longer be
aggravating. Hence - the above, as one of 365.

 *C.H. Spurgeon Quotes: “Heaven Is Hidden In The Gospel” - *And so, within
the simple Gospel, how much lies concentrated? Look at it! Within that
truth lie regeneration, repentance, faith, holiness, zeal, consecration,
perfection. Heaven hides itself away within the Gospel.

 *Our Psalm for the Day: 74:20 (74) ARISE, O GOD, DEFEND YOUR CAUSE. “Have
regard for the covenant, for the dark places of the land are full of the
habitations of violence.” *O
Father, forgive us for not understanding Your timing! 1000 of our years -
but a day to You! Jesus raising Lazarus: Your Timing! We will *Hallow your
:name*, and in our patience preserve our souls.

 *Title: “Maschil of Asaph.” An instructive Psalm by Asaph. *The history of
the suffering church is always edifying; when we see how the faithful
trusted and wrestled with their God in times of dire distress, we are
thereby taught how to behave ourselves under similar circumstances; we
learn, moreover, that when the fiery trial befalls us, no strange things
have happened unto us, we are following the trail of the host of God.

 74:1. *O God, why have You cast us off forever? *To cast us off at all
were hard, but when You do for so long a time desert Your people, it is an
evil beyond all endurance - the very chief of woes and abyss of misery. Sin
is usually at the bottom of all the hidings of the Lord’s face; let us ask
the Lord to reveal the special form of it to us, that we may repent of it,
overcome it, and henceforth forsake it.

 74:8. *They said in their hearts, Let us destroy them together.* Pharaoh’s
policy to stamp out the nation has been a precedent for others, yet the
Jews survive, and will: the bush though burning has not been consumed. Even
thus the church of Christ has gone through baptisms of blood and fire, but
it is all the brighter for them.

 74:18. *And that the foolish people have blasphemed Your name. *The
meanness of the enemy is here pleaded. Sinners are fools, and shall fools
be allowed to insult the Lord and oppress His people; shall the abjects
curse the Lord and defy Him to His face? When error grows too bold, its day
is near and its fall certain. Arrogance foreshadows ripeness of evil, and
the next step is rottenness. Instead of being alarmed when bad men grow
worse and more audacious, we may reasonably take heart, for the hour of
their judgment is evidently near.

 72:20. Much of this Psalm has passed over our mind while beholding the
idolatries of Rome (the author visited Rome in November and December, 1871,
while this portion of the “Treasury of David” was in progress), and
remembering her bloody persecution of the saints. O Lord, how long shall it
be ere You will ease Yourself of those profane wretches, the priests, and
cast the harlot of Babylon into the ditch of corruption? May Your church
never cease to plead with You till judgment shall be executed and the Lord
avenged upon Antichrist. *(From “The Treasury of David” by C.H. Spurgeon,
abridged by D.O. Fuller)*