Ezekiel 33-34 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 15:46:29 PST 2013

January 25, 2013

 *AUG 24 - EZEKIEL 33-34 - FALSE SHEPHERDS VERSUS GOOD SHEPHERDS*

 *1. 33:7 (33:1-20, ESV) SERMON ON THE WATCHMAN. “So you, son of man, I
have made a watchman for the house of Israel. Whenever you hear a word from
my mouth, you shall give them warning from me.” *We are like Ezekiel, O
Father; we are like Habakkuk. Make us a corporate prophetic voice like
Samuel! Make us a body of intercessors! *Hallowed be your :name!*

 *2. 33:22 (33:21-22) CAPTURE OF JERUSALEM. “Now the hand of the LORD had
been upon me the evening before the fugitive came; and he had opened my
mouth by the time the man came to me in the morning, so my mouth was
opened, and I was no longer mute.” *There is a time O Father, when you
command us to hide ourselves like Elijah. Then the time comes and You say,
Show yourself to My enemy, and speak the word I command you to say.
Whatever Your command and timing, we will obey. *Your :kingdom come!*

 *3. 33:29 (33:23-29) PROPHECY TO THE REMNANT. “Then they will know that I
am the LORD, when I have made the land a desolation and a waste because of
all their abominations that they have committed.” *Father, You are a holy,
Jealous, righteous God! Punishment from Your hand eventually is meted out
upon the rebellious and disobedient. Yet, in the midst of wrath, You
remember mercy! *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 33:32 (33:30-33) EZEKIEL: DERIDED BY BACKSLIDDEN ISRAEL. “And behold,
you are to them like one who sings lustful songs with a beautiful voice and
plays well on an instrument, for they hear what you say, but they will not
do it.” *O forgive us Father, for hearing Your voice, but taking it so
lightly. Make us as those who hear and tremble at Your Word, with poor and
contrite spirits (Isaiah 66:2; Matthew 5:3). * Our :daily :bread Give us
this day.*

 *5. 34:2 (34:1-10) PROPHECY AGAINST SHEPHERDS. “Son of man, prophesy
against the shepherds of Israel; prophesy, and say to them, even to the
shepherds, Thus says the Lord GOD: Ah, shepherds of Israel who have been
feeding yourselves! Should not shepherds feed the sheep?” *O forgive us
Father, that as parents we feed not our children wholesomely on the bread
of heaven; and for leaders of churches for slipping into professionalism
and selfishness. *And forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven our
:debtors.*

 *6. 34:23-24 (34:11-22) FLOCK RESTORED: REMOVAL OF FALSE SHEPHERDS. “And I
will set up one shepherd over them, and He shall feed them, even My servant
David. He shall feed them, and he shall be their shepherd. 24 And I, the
LORD, will be their God, and my servant David shall be prince among them. I
am the LORD; I have spoken.” *Father, we honor You by believing and
receiving Your Word. We will follow Your True Shepherd, even without the
camp! We will share His reproach. *And bring us not into temptation!*

 *7. 34:25 (34:23-31) DAVID’S GREATER SON: GOD’S TRUE SHEPHERD. “I will
make with them a covenant of peace and banish wild beasts from the land, so
that they may dwell securely in the wilderness and sleep in the
woods.” *Father,
we glorify You for Your tender watch-care toward Your people. You are
married to the backslider. In wrath, You remember mercy! *But deliver us
from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: 33:17 (3**3:1-20) GOD RECIPROCATES WITH CORRECTION! “Yet your
people say, ‘The way of the Lord is not just,’ when it is their own way
that is not just.” *Father, may we never impute unto You our shortcomings!
Forgive us this sin and ungrateful, immature act! We may not always
understand You and Your ways, but we *will trust* You always in naked faith!

 *C.H. Spurgeon Quotes: “Suffering for the Church” - *Every sufferer who
bears pain, or slander, or loss, or personal unkindness for Christ's sake,
is filling up that amount of suffering which is necessary to the bringing
together of the whole body of Christ, and the upbuilding of His elect
Church.

 *This Word of the Lord* came unto me in February, 1946 in Saskatoon,
Saskatchewan: “He came as a burning, flaming fire - to dwell in the hearts
of His people.” At the time, I was a relatively new believer, and thought
the Spirit was reminding me of a verse in Scripture. I discovered this was
not literally correct, although it was entirely consistent with the general
tenor of Scripture. And how does Jesus fulfill this? Through the Holy
Spirit! Read the biography of “Derek Prince” by Stephen Mansfield, 2005,
and you will find extraordinary confirmation through the interpretation of
personal, devotional tongues.

 *Our Psalm for the Day: 54:6-7 (54) THE LORD UPHOLDS MY LIFE. “With a
freewill offering I will sacrifice to you; I will give thanks to your name,
O LORD, for it is good. 7 For he has delivered me from every trouble, and
my eye has looked in triumph on my enemies.” **Faithfulness* is Your Name,
O Jehovah Father! And *Jealous* is Your Name also on behalf of Your Son,
Your Spirit, Your Word, Your People! *Hallowed be your :name!*

 Monotony is often the death of congregational praise. Providence is varied
and so should our recording songs be. From 54:1-3, where the *Selah* makes
a pause for us, the Psalmist pleads with God, and then in the rest of the
song, laying aside all doubt of anxiety and the birth of security.

 54:1. *Save me, O God.* You are my Savior; all around me are my foes and
their eager helpers. No shelter is permitted me. Every land rejects me and
denies me rest, But You, O God, will give me refuge, and deliver me from
all my enemies.

 54:2. *He**ar** my prayer, O God. *This has ever been the defense of
saints. As long as God has an open ear, we cannot be shut up in trouble.
All other weapons may be useless, but all-prayer is evermore available. But
what is prayer if God hear not?

 54:3. *For strangers are risen up against me. *Let them leave off meddling
and mind their own concerns. *And oppressors seek after my soul. *Kings
generally coin their own likeness. *They have not set God before them. *They
had no more regard for right and justice than if they knew no God or cared
for none. David felt that atheism lay at the bottom of the enmity which
pursued him. Good men are hated for God’s sake, and this is a good plea for
them to urge in prayer. *Selah. *Enough of this.

 54:4. *Behold, God is my helper. *He saw enemies everywhere, and now to
his joy as he looks upon the band of his defenders, he sees One Whose aid
is better than all the help of men; he is overwhelmed with joy at
recognizing his divine Champion and cries, *Behold*. And is not this a
theme for pious exultation in all time, that the great God protects us, His
own people: what matters the number of violence of our foes when He uplifts
the shield of His omnipotence to guard us and keep the sword of His power
to aid us? Little care we for the defiance of the foe while we have the
defense of God. *The Lord is with them that uphold my soul. *It is a great
mercy to have some friends left us, but a greater mercy still to see the
Lord among them, for like so many cyphers, our friends stand for nothing
till the Lord sets Himself as a great Unit in the front of them.

 54:6. *I will freely sacrifice unto you. *Spontaneously will I bring my
free-will offerings. So certain is he of deliverance, that he offers a vow
by anticipation. His overflowing gratitude would load the altars of God
with victims cheerfully presented. The more we receive, the more we ought
to render. The spontaneousness of our gifts is a great element in their
acceptance; “the Lord loves a cheerful giver.” *(From “The Treasury of
David” by C.H. Spurgeon, abridged by D.O. Fuller)*