2 Corinthians 10 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 10:52:55 PST 2013

January 17, 2013

 *AUG 18 - 2 CORINTHIANS 10 - PAUL ON WARFARE*

 *1. 10:1 (10:1-2, NNT) WARFARE: NOT TO BE TURNED ON SAINTS. “Now I Paul
myself entreat you by the meekness and gentleness of the Christ, who in
person am lowly among you, but absent show courage toward you.” *Father, we
thank You for Paul, who in maturity in You, sets us an example how to deal
with one another. We want to know You intimately as Paul did. We want You
to take control and keep control of our lives. *Hallowed be your :name.*

 *2. 10:3-5 (10:3-6) WARFARE: ITS WEAPONS AGAINST WRONG THOUGHTS. “For
though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh 4 (for
the weapons of our :warfare are not of flesh, but mighty before :God unto
casting down of strongholds); 5 casting down reasonings, and every high
thing that is exalted against the knowledge of :God, and bringing every
thought into captivity to the obedience of the Christ.” *Our battle is *in
the mind*. We acknowledge and confess it. We thank You Father, for
providing us with the weapons that bring our thoughts into captivity to
Christ: the Word, the Blood, the Name, the Spirit. *Your :kingdom come!*

 *3. 10:7 WARFARE CAPABILITY: NOT BASED ON OUTWARD APPEARANCE. “Do you look
at the things pertaining to appearance? If any trusts in himself that he is
Christ’s, let him consider this again with himself, that, even as he is
Christ’s, so also we.” *Father, we acknowledge that our faith is communal.
You are *our* Father, not just *my* Father! We have many brothers and
sisters in Your family. We are a gift from You to one another. *Your :will
be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 10:8 (10:8-10) WARFARE AUTHORITY: INTENDED FOR LETTERS OF
EDIFICATION. “For
though I should glory somewhat more abundantly concerning our :authority
(which the Lord gave for building up, and not for casting you down), I
shall not be shamed.” *Father, we thank You for Your gentleness in Christ
which You are working into each of us. You are bringing *many* sons and
daughters into *glory*! *Our :daily :bread Give us this day.*

 *5. 10:12 (10:11-12) WARFARE AUTHORITY: CAN ALSO BE MANIFESTED BY
PRESENCE. “For we are not bold to judge among, or to judge ourselves with
certain of them that commend themselves: but themselves measuring
themselves by themselves, and judging themselves with themselves, are
without understanding.” *There is a time Father, when You lead our leaders
to confront us sternly in love. But how glad we are that it is tempered in
mercy! *And forgive us our :debts, As we also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 10:13 (10:13-16) WARFARE BOASTING: BASED ON ACTUAL ACCOMPLISHMENTS. “But
WE will not glory beyond :measure, but according to the measure of the
measuring-rod which God apportioned to us as a measure, to reach even unto
you.” *Teach us honesty Father, first of all before You, in *every* aspect
of our lives. Then before our fellow man may we wear no masks, but be
transparent. *And bring us not into temptation.*

 *7. 10:17-18 WARFARE GLORYING: FOCUSED ON THE LORD. “But who glories
in theLord let him glory. 18
For not that man is approved who commends himself but he whom the Lord
commends. *We hear You, O Great Jehovah Father! We hear You through Your
servant Paul. Again, we see Your insistence upon absolute honesty,
sincerity, truthfulness and integrity in the inward parts. We accept Your
challenge. *But deliver us from the evil one!*

 *NOTE**: 10:6 (10:3-6, ES**V) WARFARE: ITS TIMING. “And being in readiness
to avenge all disobedience, when your :obedience shall be made full.” **
Mercy* is Your way of dealing with us, Father. We bless You for this.

 *C.H. Spurgeon Quotes: “Dying Life or Living Death.” *St. Augustine used
to say he did not know whether to call it a dying life or a living death,
and I leave you the choice between those two expressions. This is certainly
a dying life; its march is marked by graves. Nothing but a continuous
miracle keeps any one of us from the sepulcher. Were omnipotence to stay
its power but for a moment, earth would return to earth, and ashes to
ashes. It is a dying life: and equally true is it that it is a living
death. We are always dying. Every beating pulse we tell leaves but the
number less: the more years we count in our life, the fewer remain in which
we shall behold the light of day.

 *Our Psalm for the day: 48:1-2 (48) ZION, THE CITY OF OUR GOD. “Great is
the LORD and greatly to be praised in the city of our God! His holy
mountain, 2 beautiful in elevation, is the joy of all the earth, Mount
Zion, in the far north, the city of the great King.” *Father, You are the
God of Zion, the house of Your people. We are Your people Father - Your
house, Your workmanship. *Hallowed be your :name!*

 *Title*: “A Song and Psalm for the Sons of Korah.” A song for joyfulness
and a Psalm for reverence. Alas! every song is not a Psalm, for poets are
not all heaven-born; and every Psalm is not a song, for in coming before
God we have to utter mournful confessions as well as exulting praises.
*Subject:
*It would be idle dogmatically to attribute this song to any one event of
Jewish history. Its author and date are unknown. It records the withdrawal
of certain confederate kings from Jerusalem, their courage failing them
before striking a blow.

 48:1. *Great is the Lord. *How great Jehovah is essentially none can
conceive; but we can all see that He is great in the deliverance of His
people, great in their esteem who are delivered, and great in their hearts
of those enemies whom He scatters by their own fears. Instead of the mad
cry of Ephesus, “Great is Diana,” we bear the reasonable, demonstrable,
self-evident testimony, “Great is Jehovah!”

 48:2. *The joy of the whole earth, is Mount Zion. *Jerusalem was the
world’s star; whatever light lingered on earth was borrowed from the
oracles preserved by Israel.

 48:5. *They saw it, and so they marveled. *They came, they saw, but they
did not conquer. There was no *veni, vidi, vici* for them. No sooner did
they perceive that the Lord was in the Holy City than they took to their
heels. Before the Lord came to blows with them, they were faint-hearted and
beat a retreat.

 48:7. *You break the ships of Tarshish with an east wind.* Speculative
heresies, pretending to bring us wealth from afar, are constantly assailing
the church, but the breath of the Lord soon drives them to destruction. The
church too often relies on the wisdom of men, and these human ships are
soon ship-wrecked; yet the church itself is safe beneath the care of her
God and King.

 48:9. *We have thought. *Holy men are thoughtful men; they do not suffer
God’s wonders to pass before their eyes and melt into forgetfulness, but
they meditate deeply upon them. *Of Your lovingkindness, O God. *What a
delightful subject! Devout minds never tire of so divine a theme. *In the
midst of Your temple. *Memories of mercy should be associated with
continuance of praise. Hard by the table of show-bread commemorating His
bounty, should stand the altar of incense denoting our praise.

 48:10. *According to Your Name, O God, so is Your praise unto the ends of
the earth. *Great fame is due to His great Name. The glory of Jehovah’s
exploits overleaps the boundaries of earth; angels behold with wonder, and
from every star delighted intelligences proclaim His fame beyond the ends
of the earth. What if men are silent, yet the woods, and seas, and
mountains, with all their countless tribes, and all the unseen spirits that
walk them, are full of the divine praise. As in a shell we listen to the
murmurs of the sea, so in the convolutions of creation we hear the praises
of God. *Your right hand is full of righteousness. *Your scepter and Your
sword, Your government and Your vengeance, are altogether just. Your hand
is never empty, but full of energy, of bounty, and of equity. Neither saint
nor sinner shall find the Lord to be an empty-handed God; He will in both
cases deal out righteousness to the full: to the one, through Jesus, He
will be just to forgive, to the other just to condemn.

 48:14. *Mark you well her bulwarks. *The security of the people of God is
not a doctrine to be kept in the background. It may be safely taught, and
frequently pondered. Only to base hearts will that glorious truth prove
harmful. The sons of perdition make a stumbling-stone even of the Lord
Jesus Himself; it is little wonder that they pervert the truth of God
concerning the final perseverance of the saints. *(From “The Treasury of
David” by C.H. Spurgeon, abridged by D.O. Fuller)*