Jeremiah 46-48 - Outline

Jim Watt jmbetter at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 12:12:06 PST 2013

January 10, 2012

 *AUG 11 - JEREMIAH 46-48 - THREE PROPHECIES UPON GENTILE NATIONS*

 *1. 46:10 (46:1-12, ESV) PROPHETIC JUDGMENT: AGAINST EGYPT. “That day is
the day of the Lord GOD of hosts, a day of vengeance, to avenge himself on
his foes. The sword shall devour and be sated and drink its fill of their
blood. For the Lord GOD of hosts holds a sacrifice in the north country by
the river Euphrates.” *Your Kingdom Father, has principles: reward for the
obedience of faith; judgment upon individuals and nations for rebels and
the unbelieving! *Hallowed be your :name!*

 *2. 46:13 (46:13-26) PROPHETIC JUDGMENT: THROUGH NEBUCHADNEZZAR. “The word
that the LORD spoke to Jeremiah the prophet about the coming of
Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon to strike the land of Egypt.” *Yes Father,
You even use the heathen to do Your will and be Your servants.
Nebuchadnezzar and Cyrus were both Your servants. How much more should we
as you saints do your will! *Your :kingdom come!*

 *3. 46:28 (46:27-28) PROPHETIC WORD: ISRAEL ENCOURAGED. “Fear not, O Jacob
my servant, declares the LORD, for I am with you. I will make a full end of
all the nations to which I have driven you, but of you I will not make a
full end. I will discipline you in just measure, and I will by no means
leave you unpunished.” *What a gracious word! How wise yet loving You are,
O Father! *Your :will be done, As in heaven, so on earth.*

 *4. 47:1 (47:1-7) PROPHETIC WORD: AGAINST THE PHILISTINES. “The word of
the LORD that came to Jeremiah the prophet concerning the Philistines,
before Pharaoh struck down Gaza.” *Father, our sins bring Your judgment
whether the sins of Israel, the nations or the church. You are no respecter
of persons. *Our :daily :bread Give us this day!*

 *5. 48:11 (48:1-25) PROPHETIC JUDGMENT: AGAINST MOAB. “Moab has been at
ease from his youth and has settled on his dregs; he has not been emptied
from vessel to vessel, nor has he gone into exile; so his taste remains in
him, and his scent is not changed.” *Father, You desire troubles, trials,
suffering and persecution to purge us and make our hearts sweet. Give us a
thankful and joyful heart for trials. *And forgive us our :debts, As we
also have forgiven our :debtors.*

 *6. 48:42 (48:26-46) PROPHECY: MOAB’S HUMILIATION AND DESTRUCTION. “Moab
shall be destroyed and be no longer a people, because he magnified himself
against the LORD.” *Loftiness, arrogance, pride and haughtiness of heart -
will destroy us even as they did Moab! O Father, keep our hearts; make us
like David: people after Your own heart. *And bring us not into temptation!*

 *7. 48:47 PROPHETIC WORD: MOAB’S RESTORATION. “Yet I will restore the
fortunes of Moab in the latter days, declares the LORD.” Thus far is the
judgment of Moab. *How gracious You are O Father, even unto sinners! How
much more will You show mercy to repentant saints! *But deliver us from the
evil one!*

 *NOTE**: C.H. Spurgeon Quotes: “The Older The More Calvinistic” - *I
always find that the older saints become more Calvinistic as they ripen in
age; that is to say, they get to believe more and more that salvation is
all of grace; and whereas, at first, they might have had some rather loose
ideas concerning free-will, and the power of the creature, the lapse of
years and fuller experience gradually blow all that kind of chaff away.

 *Our Psalm for the day: 41:1 (41) O LORD, BE GRACIOUS TO ME. “Blessed is
the one who considers the poor! In the day of trouble the LORD delivers
him.” *Father, we hallow Your Name when we consider the poor. We are
discerning Christ’s spiritual body! We are doing it as unto one of the
least of Christ’s brothers, and He accepts it as unto Himself! 41:4 *As for
me, I said, “O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against
you!” *Father, let this be our immediate prayer as soon as we sin. Let us
remember Your Word, and the many occasions when in wrath You remembered
mercy!

 Introduction: Jesus Christ, betrayed of Judas Iscariot, is evidently the
great theme of this Psalm but, we think, not exclusively. He is the
antitype of David, and all His people are in their measure like Him, hence
words suitable to the Great Representative are most applicable to those who
are in Him. Such as receive a vile return for long kindness to others may
read this song with much comfort, for they will see that it is, alas, too
common for the best of men to be rewarded for their holy charity with
cruelty and scorn; and when they have been humbled by falling into sin,
advantage has been taken of their low estate, their good deeds have been
forgotten, and the vilest spite has been vented upon them.

 41:1. *The Lord will deliver him in time of trouble. *The promise is not
that the generous saint shall have no trouble but that he shall be
preserved in it and in due time brought out of it. How true was this of our
Lord! never trouble deeper nor triumph brighter than His, and glory be to
His name, He secures the ultimate victory of all His blood-bought ones.
Selfishness bears in itself a curse; it is a cancer in the heart; while
liberality is happiness, and makes fat the bones. In dark days, we cannot
rest upon the supposed merit of almsgiving, but still the music of memory
brings with it no mean solace when it tells of widows and orphans whom we
have succored and prisoners and sick folk to whom we have ministered.

 41:3. *The Lord will strengthen him upon the bed of languishing.* The
everlasting arms shall stay up his soul as friendly hands and downy pillows
stay up the body of the sick. How tender and sympathizing is this image;
how near it brings our God to our infirmities and sicknesses! Who ever
heard this of the old heathen Jove, or of the gods of India, or China? This
is the language peculiar to the God of Israel; He it is Who deigns to
become nurse and attendant upon good men. If He smites with one hand, He
sustains with the other. Oh, it is blessed fainting when one falls upon the
Lord’s own bosom and is upborne thereby!

 41:4. *For I have sinned against Thee. *Sin and suffering are inevitable
companions. Observe that by the Psalmist, sin was felt to be mainly evil
because directed against God. This is of the essence of true repentance.
Applying the petition to David and other sinful believers, how strangely
evangelical is the argument: heal me, not for I am innocent, but *I have
sinned*. How contrary is this to all self-righteous pleading! How consonant
with grace! How inconsistent with merit! Even the fact that the confessing
penitent had remembered the poor is but obliquely urged, but a direct
appeal is made to Mercy on the ground of great sin. O trembling reader,
here is a divinely revealed precedent for you, be not slow to follow it.

 41:6. *And if he come to see me, he speaks vanity. *His visits of sympathy
are visitations of mockery. When the fox calls on the sick lamb, his words
are soft but he licks his lips in hope of the carcass. *His heart gathered
iniquity to itself.* Like will to like. The bird makes its nest of
feathers. Out of the sweetest flowers, chemists can distill poison, and
from the purest words and deeds malice can gather groundwork for calumnious
report. It is perfectly marvelous how spite spins webs out of no materials
whatever.

 41:9. *Yes, my own familiar friend. * “The man of my peace,” so runs the
original, with whom I had no differences, with whom I was in league, who
had aforetime ministered to my peace and comfort. This was Ahithophel to
David, and Iscariot with our Lord. Judas was an apostle, admitted to the
privacy of the great Teacher, bearing His secret thoughts, and, as it were,
allowed to read His very heart. *Et tu Brute? *said the expiring Caesar.
The kiss of the traitor wounded our Lord’s heart as much as the nail
wounded His hand.

 41:13. The Psalm ends with a doxology. *Blessed be the Lord, **i**.e.* let
Him be glorified. The blessing at the beginning from the mouth of God is
returned from the mouth of His servant.
We cannot add to the Lord’s blessedness, but we can pour out our grateful
wishes, and these He accepts, as we receive little presents of flowers from
children who love us. *(From “The Treasury of David” by C.H. Spurgeon,
abridged by D.O. Fuller)*

 HERE ENDS THE FIRST BOOK OF THE PSALMS

 P.S. Mike Huckabee recommended “*Last Ounce of Courage”, 2012 - *a DVD on
how to preserve the “Freedom” that our veterans have given their lives for on
our behalf. Through the “Tyranny of the Minority”, our freedoms such as
“Christmas”, Nativity Scenes, Christmas Carols, Prayer in our schools, The
Ten Commandments as plaques in our City Halls - all these and more - perhaps
because of one atheistic family, have been robbed from us. Our Constitution
has been perverted by a wrong application by our government. Time we
retrieved our freedom. By all means check out the above DVD through Netflix
or other sources. You will not be disappointed. My wife Marie felt it would
be good for me to alert you to this opportunity. Jim Watt